advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
so why are Plasmas being discontinued by all makers?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 05, 2014 07:52PM
I think Panasonic was first to stop making them, now Samsung and LG are also dropping plasmas. Some people love plasmas. Look how prices go up on Amazon from private sellers. I do not need a TV right now, but since this is the last chance to get a event plasma, I am thinking maybe I should get one and open it when my 42" Panasonic Plasma (model 2009) dies. On the other hand, a thousand bucks sitting and doing nothing.

I visited a friend with a high end Samsung LCD and sorry, but the picture does not match the Plasma. maybe it was not calibrated correct, but I don't think it was that. The colors were OK, it just that I could see different shades of gray and colors in discrete steps, not a continuous smooth transition, it was almost like changing the color depth on a computer monitor to 16 bit (instead of 32). good enough but not very good.

so what is the reason for plasmas being discontinued?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: so why are Plasmas being discontinued by all makers?
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: December 05, 2014 07:57PM
I love Plasma - it's the only thing that looks like a real TV...

Wish I got the 60" LG Smart TV when it was on sale at Micro Center for $499 like a month ago. I couldn't fit the box in my civic...

LOL!!!
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 05, 2014 07:58PM
More than likely, energy consumption.
We have an old 50" 720p LG plasma. Picture is great. Vizio 1080p 55" in living room is fine, but the color difference is noticeable.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 05, 2014 07:59PM
space-time
I visited a friend with a high end Samsung LCD and sorry, but the picture does not match the Plasma. maybe it was not calibrated correct...

Correct.

There are apps for iPhones now that help to calibrate the video and audio features of TVs. No excuses left for a poor image.

space-time

[www.tvpredictions.com]

Plasma sales were soon bypassed by the LCD (and then LEDs) due to a variety of factors, including technological delays (slow shift to 1080p; energy consumption issues); marketing snafus and company misfortunes (Panasonic, the undisputed king of the Plasma, has had a rocky financial record over the last several years.)

Still, most industry picture analysts still agree that Plasma offers the best picture on the market, better than the new 4K sets and arguably even better than OLED TVs.

But as often is the case in the TV industry (and others), best does not always win.

Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 05, 2014 08:04PM
Cost (and losses), mainly, technical challenges for future 4k/8k displays (do-able, but not cheap), and OLED is the eventual successor and can display pure blacks on-par/better than any plasma.

Energy consumption hasn't been an issue like it originally was with plasmas, so definitely not a death knell there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 08:05PM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 05, 2014 08:23PM

There are apps for iPhones now that help to calibrate the video and audio features of TVs. No excuses left for a poor image.

Any free apps that do this?
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 05, 2014 08:29PM
space-time
I think Panasonic was first to stop making them, now Samsung and LG are also dropping plasmas. Some people love plasmas. Look how prices go up on Amazon from private sellers. I do not need a TV right now, but since this is the last chance to get a event plasma, I am thinking maybe I should get one and open it when my 42" Panasonic Plasma (model 2009) dies. On the other hand, a thousand bucks sitting and doing nothing.

I visited a friend with a high end Samsung LCD and sorry, but the picture does not match the Plasma. maybe it was not calibrated correct, but I don't think it was that. The colors were OK, it just that I could see different shades of gray and colors in discrete steps, not a continuous smooth transition, it was almost like changing the color depth on a computer monitor to 16 bit (instead of 32). good enough but not very good.

Nah, Pioneer and others left the market even before Panasonic. Plasma didn't scale the same way LCD does. Can I get a 22"-32" Plasma for a bedroom TV? Shoot, I can barely find 42" Plasma TVs. Selling 1024x1024 or 1024x768 Plasmas as HD didn't help. The early problems with power and image retention probably scared some buyers off as well.

The best LCD TVs are pretty good and match up well with Plasma.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 08:36PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 05, 2014 08:48PM
I've seen a lot Plasmas over years, even owned 2 at one time but our Vizio 55" Full-array backlit LED-LCD 240Hz
has been calibrated and I'd say the blacks on it are darn close to a Plasma.

I was at a friends recently that just purchased a 60" Samsung 120Hz LCD edge lit and I have to say our 3-4
year old Vizio blows it out of the water. If he would calibrate it it would probably help. Most peoples LCD
don't have any shadow detail on black, especially black clothing, until they're calibrated.

Grateful11
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 05, 2014 09:01PM
p8712

[itunes.apple.com]

And for others, there's this:
[lifehacker.com]

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 05, 2014 09:29PM
I had thought about a 4K, but all this talk has me rethinking this. What is the consensus on this Samsung:

Samsung - 60" Class (59-9/10" Diag.) - Plasma - 1080p - Smart - 3D - HDTV - Black
Model: PN60F8500AFXZA
Posted by: billb
Date: December 05, 2014 09:43PM
space-time

banned in EU
vacuum cleaners that suck are next

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 05, 2014 09:56PM
billb
space-time

banned in EU

i thought you were joking... but then I googled and I learned you were not. I am glad I moved to the US.
Date: December 05, 2014 10:02PM
space-time
billb
banned in EU

i thought you were joking... but then I googled and I learned you were not. I am glad I moved to the US.

Then again, according to this theory, Plasmas are decreasingly sold in the US because of EU law, so that wouldn't help either. Or the theory isn't correct. The vacuum ban doesn't bother me either. If more efficient models come out that use less energy and clean as well as the old models, isn't that a win for consumers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 10:03PM by silvarios.
Date: December 05, 2014 10:07PM
space-time
billb
space-time

banned in EU

CO2 initiatives will be cramping lifestyles here soon enuf.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 05, 2014 10:08PM
The best doesn't always win. As someone else said, it just isn't scaleable to the point that it makes sense for them to bother anymore.

If you are interested, I encourage you to turn over every stone you can to find a Samsung F8500. It's in a different league than any other plasma out there right now, and it was discontinued in the last few weeks. Difficult to find, but a few large independent dealers such as Abt and Value Electronics say they are expecting one final shipment from the manufacturer. I have one coming from Abt in the next week or so.

I've had a 64" for several months, and it's amazing, so I wanted to get a 51' for another room before they were gone. I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones from B&H, but my good fortune went sour when it arrived defective. Fortunately, the return process was pretty painless, and the rep at Abt had the good news that they were getting more. Nothing's guaranteed until I get it, but I think you have a good shot if you call one of these dealers directly.

I just don't think people know how good these TVs are. Too caught up in the myths of dimness, excess power consumption and image retention. Mine is in a very bright room, and it's absolutely outstanding. I will be crushed if something goes wrong with this order. I highly recommend trying to find one if it all possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 10:14PM by datbeme.
Date: December 05, 2014 10:12PM
billb

Do you want to return to the Pentium 4 days of computing as well? Lot of power for clock speeds, instead of modern efficient processors? That's how I see the theory of these laws. In practice, there will be some problems, after all, is anything ever perfect? However, I applaud the march towards efficiency.
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 05, 2014 10:13PM
Thank you!. Though I'd still need to buy an iphone-hdmi cable.

Onamuji
p8712

[itunes.apple.com]

And for others, there's this:
[lifehacker.com]
Date: December 05, 2014 10:16PM
silvarios
space-time
billb
banned in EU

Then again, according to this theory, Plasmas are decreasingly sold in the US because of EU law, so that wouldn't help either. Or the theory isn't correct. The vacuum ban doesn't bother me either. If more efficient models come out that use less energy and clean as well as the old models, isn't that a win for consumers?

profit margins amongst tech - taking away a good sized chunk of market share didn't help

[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 05, 2014 10:20PM
silvarios
billb

Do you want to return to the Pentium 4 days of computing as well? Lot of power for clock speeds, instead of modern efficient processors? That's how I see the theory of these laws. In practice, there will be some problems, after all, is anything ever perfect? However, I applaud the march towards efficiency.

Whose lifestyle would be disrupted by the loss of Pentium 4 computing today or tomorrow ?

[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 05, 2014 10:27PM
billb
silvarios
billb

Whose lifestyle would be disrupted by the loss of Pentium 4 computing today or tomorrow ?

And who's lifestyle is disrupted by needing to buy a more efficient vacuum or TV? If the laws were enacted when Pentium 4 was king, you wouldn't have been able to buy a high end PC at the time. Seems somewhat similar. Easy to forget now, but Pentium 4 had a huge marketshare.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 05, 2014 11:58PM
space-time
billb
space-time

banned in EU

I did some more googling and found it was a myth.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 05, 2014 11:59PM
Vacuum cleaners suck!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 06, 2014 12:39AM
In Australia, they blow.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 06, 2014 02:15AM
The best doesn't always win.

Agreed.

In the short term. plasmas were always more expensive than LCD and eventually LED sets of the same size or even bigger.

Good enough is much cheaper than plasma.

Other factors have been mentioned, but LCDs and LEDs offer a brighter picture that's fares better in lighted rooms than plasma. And as we all know from Big Box shopping, brighter is better.

Production of small plasmas ceased first, with the 1080s then the 720 sets disappearing quickly. Now there are a few of the larger plasmas left, but they'll be gone soon.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 06, 2014 08:43AM
Well, I bought my 42" Panasonic plasma in 2008 because it was 1/3 cheaper than equivalent LCD sets at that time.

I have no plans to get rid of my 50" Panasonic plasma until it dies, but I wouldn't pay a premium for a plasma set today.

A few years ago California introduced strict new energy requirements for HDTVs, which plasma sets (and even older LCD HDTVs) simply can't meet - that drives the U.S. market, not EU regulation.
Date: December 06, 2014 07:08PM
Bill in NC
A few years ago California introduced strict new energy requirements for HDTVs, which plasma sets (and even older LCD HDTVs) simply can't meet - that drives the U.S. market, not EU regulation.

Yep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020