advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Don't want to open a can of worms here, but I was thinking
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 07, 2014 09:19AM
As weather reports are saying how a major Typhoon category 2 is slamming the Philipines today, I am wondering about Rudie, AKA Haikuman and Lillian.
I know he had a "personal storm" that he let loose on this forum and is now banned, but he is still a person. I guess some people have better filters in their heads than others, I back off and rethink before I post anything that may be controversial, he did not.
That said, before that blowup, he and I exchanged many PM's back and forth, and I enjoyed the conversations. Anyway, that is done, we may or may not ever find a way to communicate, but like I said, he is a person we interacted with, and I was wondering how he is doing now, given the weather and the holidays. That's all.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Don't want to open a can of worms here, but I was thinking
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 07, 2014 09:26AM
agree smiley I've been thinking of him too Dave. Hope all is well there with he and family.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 07, 2014 09:49AM
Yeah, I've always got along with Rudie here on the forum. It's a shame things worked out the way they did.

He insulted a few thinned skin folks here, and they made it a personal vendetta to get rid of him. It's happened before, and will happen again. Such is life.

May Rudie, his family, and all others who are in harms way there be safe while this storm hits.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: tlh828
Date: December 07, 2014 09:56AM
I never found any fault with Rudie.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 07, 2014 10:15AM
Speedy quoted a letter from Rudie from back in July in this thread:

[forums.macresource.com]

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 07, 2014 10:26AM
Hope he is safe.

I didn't always agree with him, but Rudie was generally a nice guy. In any case, he was far more palatable than some of the trolls we deal with on the other side.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 07, 2014 10:27AM
I doubt anybody gets banned for a single "oops" post. Getting banned generally requires the "offender" choosing to ignore the moderators when multiple warnings have been given. If a person continues to ignore reasonable requests, what else can moderators do other than to ban the offender? dunno smiley

That said, I hope Rudie, Lillian and any other forum members are able to stay safe if / when the SHTF.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: December 07, 2014 10:27AM
I never had any issue with Rudie either. What happened?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 07, 2014 11:03AM
Does he have a Facebook, google+ or twitter setup?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 07, 2014 11:35AM
wowzer

More than once, Rudie relentless targeted and harassed particular users on the forum, using vicious language and relentless vigor in his personal attacks.

No one thinks Rudie was all bad, or that he didn't contribute a lot to the forum over the years. But his removal was 1) not the result of 'thin-skinned' people not being able to handle insults, and 2) not something that happened just once. He was banned, re-admitted, and eventually banned permanently as a result of his own choices not to respect the forum's ToS.

Personally, i wish Rudie and his loved ones well. I miss some of the things he brought to MRF, especially his deep sense of commitment to his family and his compassion for people in need. I don't miss the abuse, though.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 07, 2014 11:38AM
wowzer

I missed most of his offending posts, but saw a few towards the end. He was making personal attacks on forum members. A few suggested nicely that he take a break for awhile as he had already made his position clear. He did not stop.

I think the last straw was when he repeatedly insisted that all homosexuals are pedophiles and posted some nasty stuff attacking anyone who disagreed with him.

I liked the guy, but banning him was justified.

The situation reminds me of a problem I had with a guy from Belgium who I worked with on a project. He was the nicest guy you could ever meet. Sharp and witty and talented. Went out for beers with him one night and when he had a few he started ranting about Jewish conspiracies and blaming 9/11 on Israel. Once he got started, he didn't let up. All day at work, he'd rant about Jews and joke about bringing back the "final solution." Nothing we said to him would shut him up. We were all very relieved when his visa was not renewed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 11:53AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 07, 2014 11:53AM
I think Rudie must have had some personal problems and was using the forum as a place to express misdirected anger. At least, that's the only reason I can think of as to how his personality went from the sunny Haikuman to the angry, rude person who got himself banned. He was not the victim of a vendetta by thin-skinned people, I will assume Rick-o missed the many posts which were removed and would have shown exactly why he was shown to the door.

That said, I miss the old Rudie and certainly wish the best for him and his family. I hope whatever demons were pursuing him will go away.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 07, 2014 11:59AM
Rudy went off the rails a few times. He should have been given a "time out" and then let back in the room with the other kids.

PS: Although I never had any interaction with administration here, I was one of those who was throughly pissed off at him at the time.
Date: December 07, 2014 12:21PM
He had at least one time-out, Roger. Perhaps more.

Posted by: sekker
Date: December 07, 2014 12:27PM
Good luck, Rudie, wherever you are. It's a shame he cannot see the sentiment of the forum. I liked him but his banning was a last resort to keep the peace here.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 07, 2014 12:39PM
RgrF
Rudy went off the rails a few times. He should have been given a "time out" and then let back in the room with the other kids.

PS: Although I never had any interaction with administration here, I was one of those who was throughly pissed off at him at the time.

He WAS given a "time out" for quite a few months. He was allowed back, and then went off the deep end. Again. And again.
And was asked to stop. He didn't.
He was TOLD to stop. He didn't.
He started harassing members by PM and email. He was told to stop. He didn't.
He was implored to stop. He didn't.
He was told if he didn't stop, he'd be banned. He said "@#$%& off".
So, he was banned.

I too, wish him the best, and hope he and Lillian are well, safe, happy, and prosperous.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 07, 2014 12:48PM
He has a team in the MRF fantasy football league, though the conversation there limits itself to FFB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 12:48PM by Acer.
Date: December 07, 2014 01:04PM
sekker
Good luck, Rudie, wherever you are. It's a shame he cannot see the sentiment of the forum. I liked him but his banning was a last resort to keep the peace here.

You don't have to be logged in to read the Forum, only to post in it.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 07, 2014 01:07PM
I too worry about Rudie and miss the regular weather reports he provided as well as the rest of the color commentary. One of my last exchanges with him I expressed concern for a changing tone in his posts.

For a little more history - [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: December 07, 2014 02:47PM
How can anyone really be banned? Can't he just a register new name with a different email address? I assume his IP address changes from time to time, so an IP ban wouldn't work unless the Philippines as a whole were to be banned, but then there's always a proxy server.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 07, 2014 03:00PM
The UnDoug
How can anyone really be banned? Can't he just a register new name with a different email address? I assume his IP address changes from time to time, so an IP ban wouldn't work unless the Philippines as a whole were to be banned, but then there's always a proxy server.

Yes, but people would quickly recognize him by his choice of topics and writing style.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: December 07, 2014 03:22PM
The things I miss when I am busy...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 07, 2014 03:26PM
IronMac
The things I miss when I am busy...

come, on! you are not!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 07, 2014 05:05PM
Rudie contributed a lot. I respect the right of others to have and express an opinion that I find disagreeable. I must have missed something that caused his banning besides his absurd assertion about gays and pedophilia.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 07, 2014 06:17PM
Speedy
Rudie contributed a lot. I respect the right of others to have and express an opinion that I find disagreeable. I must have missed something that caused his banning besides his absurd assertion about gays and pedophilia.

The last was just the latest in a series of blowups Rudie had here on the forum. So I suspect it was the continuing pattern of escalation over the years that got him banned, not just the last series of public posts and what he did in PM's.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 07, 2014 10:16PM
$tevie
I think Rudie must have had some personal problems and was using the forum as a place to express misdirected anger. At least, that's the only reason I can think of as to how his personality went from the sunny Haikuman to the angry, rude person who got himself banned. He was not the victim of a vendetta by thin-skinned people, I will assume Rick-o missed the many posts which were removed and would have shown exactly why he was shown to the door.

That said, I miss the old Rudie and certainly wish the best for him and his family. I hope whatever demons were pursuing him will go away.

+1.

It is what it is.
Date: December 07, 2014 10:16PM
sekker

I'm sure he can see it; he just can't respond to it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2014 04:05AM
He insulted a few thinned skin folks here, and they made it a personal vendetta to get rid of him. It's happened before, and will happen again. Such is life.

Rick, that is total BS. He dug his own grave several times and was given several chances to clean up his act. This forum has always given a *lot* of latitude to unseemly behavior. But even it has limits. He pushed well beyond those, more than once.

Can't he just a register new name with a different email address?

Yes.

And as mentioned, posts would eventually (probably sooner than later) give him away.

But what kind of person would really want to be where they were banned, especially if they had to resort to attempting to pretend they were someone else to get in the door?

He had several chances to redeem himself, but failed to. After the last chastising, many of his posts were so forum friendly as to be insincere. Then there was the last blow up that must have happened on the other side, and he was gone.

Yes, there undoubtably is a demon or two responsible for his behavior, but I doubt he'll ever really control them, let alone shake 'em.

I never cared for him. We had one interaction and he tripped off the latch. I don't miss him but wish him no ill will.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 08, 2014 07:56AM
Rick-o

I believe unfortunately so, deniers notwithstanding.

Rick-o
May Rudie, his family, and all others who are in harms way there be safe while this storm hits.

+1

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: December 08, 2014 12:38PM
> not the result of 'thin-skinned' people not being able to handle insults

Your opinion, and you have a right to say it. Just as I have the same right.

> He was not the victim of a vendetta by thin-skinned people, I will assume Rick-o missed the many posts which were removed and would have shown exactly why he was shown to the door.

Yeah, I read enough to see what was going on. I don't think I missed too much. I also believe he was provoked by some here. There are a few here who think they are clever and who also take great delight in vilifying people they do not like. Did Rudie handle the situation properly? Probably not. Perhaps, as you stated, some personal issues may have caused his meltdown.

> Rick, that is total BS

IMO, I don't think it was Bull Shit. And I really don't appreciate your tone. Can you at least respect other people's opinions, even if you don't agree with them?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2014 02:39PM
Can you at least respect other people's opinions, even if you don't agree with them?

I often can and do, as I have done for yours.

Hence, the abbreviation.

Now, Rudie's tone was very often far more vitriolic than mine appeared to be. Deniers might claim you were thin-skinned regarding my response. Comparatively speaking, mine was practically ecumenical.

I apologize if my phrasing offend you. That was not my intention, but it certainly is my observation. My opinion is that you are factually incorrect about thin-skins being responsible for a vendetta that caused him to be banned. There are some here that do indeed take delight in exhibiting various aspects of deplorable human conduct. Any unreasonable response to that is ultimately on the head of the responder.

But Rudie was either master of his domain or not. There are obviously differing opinions on how much of what should be tolerated. But I think the admins gave him a lot more slack than he deserved, if only because they didn't want to get involved with every measurement contest that popped up.

I hope he has or will find solace wherever he chooses to be or go. I have no ill will towards him, but I would not want him for a neighbor, online or off.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 08, 2014 03:25PM
Rick-o
I also believe he was provoked by some here. There are a few here who think they are clever and who also take great delight in vilifying people they do not like.

This.

Perhaps this thread belongs on the other side at this point?

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 08, 2014 05:14PM
Rick-o
Yeah, I read enough to see what was going on. I don't think I missed too much.

Yes, you did.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: December 08, 2014 05:25PM
Paul F.
Rick-o

Yes, you did.

No, I did not.

Date: December 08, 2014 08:24PM
"Did!"

"Did not!"

"Did!"

"Did not!"

"Did!"

"Did not!"

"M-O-M-M-Y!" hot smiley
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 08, 2014 09:00PM
Rick-o
Paul F.
Rick-o

Yes, you did.

No, I did not.

Like an iceberg, what is seen publicly, on the Forum, may only be the 10% that is above the surface of the water.
smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: December 09, 2014 12:27PM
rgG
Like an iceberg, what is seen publicly, on the Forum, may only be the 10% that is above the surface of the water.
smiling smiley

Exactly. If one puts somebody on Ignore and they commence to PM one to be sure one will not forget just how much they hate one, well, there it is.

Date: December 09, 2014 05:22PM
I stand by what I wrote.

Rudie posted his "10%" for all to see and that was enough to show that he was not in his normal state of mind. Yes, his recent posts were annoying and hard to put up with. I see this type of behavior as a cry for help. Over the years Rudie made thousands of good posts here without lashing out with venom like he did towards the end.

How about some compassion? Nah, we'll provoke him instead. Seems like the smart eye rolling smiley people here on the forum could have handled this better. The pitchfork and torch bearers were insulted, wanted him gone, and he was banned. Conform, or be cast out.

Rudie has been a member of this forum for a long time and has contributed quite a bit more than a lot of folks here. It's a damn shame some of you feel fit to throw him out onto the trash heap.

Date: December 09, 2014 05:27PM
RAMd®d

I apologize if my phrasing offend you. That was not my intention, but it certainly is my observation.

Offended? Nah, I hardly get offended. Slightly annoyed? Maybe.

Date: December 11, 2014 03:27PM
Rick-o, I really don't get where you have gotten this idea that a small handful of uncaring people went gunning for Rudie. All I can say is that somebody who has no compassion for people who are being stalked and harrassed by a forum member really should NOT give lectures about compassion. Maybe if Rudie had been picking on straight men instead of gays and women you'd be more sympathetic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 03:45PM by $tevie.
Date: December 11, 2014 07:36PM
I consider Rudie to be a good friend of mine and I miss his presence here, but I do understand why he was banned. I hope he and his loved ones are well.

It is what it is.
Date: December 12, 2014 02:28PM
$tevie
Rick-o, I really don't get where you have gotten this idea that a small handful of uncaring people went gunning for Rudie. All I can say is that somebody who has no compassion for people who are being stalked and harrassed by a forum member really should NOT give lectures about compassion. Maybe if Rudie had been picking on straight men instead of gays and women you'd be more sympathetic?

Ha-ha. Yeah, you REALLY don't know me as well as you think you do.

I really don't get where you have gotten the idea that I have no compassion for people being stalked and harassed. Or how you would think that I would be more sympathetic towards straight men being harassed.

Lecture over!! Please don't report me. I wouldn't want to get banned!! smiley-shocked003

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020