advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yosemite and 2008 MBP (4,1) with 3 GB of RAM
Posted by: kap
Date: December 23, 2014 07:43PM
It's been running beautifully since the free upgrade 2 days ago! It actually runs smoother and faster than Snow.

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yosemite and 2008 MBP (4,1) with 3 GB of RAM
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: December 23, 2014 07:47PM
I have a 3,1 that runs fine until it overheats, time to tear it down and replace the paste. 5GB ram.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 23, 2014 07:47PM
Runs fine on my 2008 MBP with 8GB RAM and a fast SSD, but Mountain Lion runs way better.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 23, 2014 07:56PM
Mavs is OK on the C2D MBP, but haven't gotten up the nerve to go to Yos yet, but w/ 4GB RAM, nice to hear that 3GB is gratifying.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: December 23, 2014 09:53PM
Buzz
Mavs is OK on the C2D MBP, but haven't gotten up the nerve to go to Yos yet, but w/ 4GB RAM, nice to hear that 3GB is gratifying.

I have only been doing email, light net surfing and watching youtube. Nothing heavy. Should I up the RAM to 8 GB?

SoCal for now.
Date: December 23, 2014 10:07PM
kap
Buzz

I have only been doing email, light net surfing and watching youtube. Nothing heavy. Should I up the RAM to 8 GB?

If you're not rebooting every day then yes. Even when used for nothing more than email you're gonna find Yosemite slowing down dramatically after a few days without a reboot with that little RAM.

Posted by: jdc
Date: December 23, 2014 10:36PM
I would add a SSD everyday of the week and twice on Sunday before adding any ram.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 23, 2014 10:49PM
jdc
I would add a SSD everyday of the week and twice on Sunday before adding any ram.

That, too.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 23, 2014 11:20PM
Onamuji
jdc

That, too.

I am very happy with my SSD!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: robfilms
Date: December 24, 2014 08:14AM
is it difficult to install a ssd in a mbp 3,1 santa rosa?

i have watched the owc video and it seems doable but was wondering about real-world experience.

thanks in advance to those kind enough to share.

be well.

rob
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 24, 2014 08:27AM
It's *very* easy.

I'm typing on a black 3,1 now.

I think it was a matter of removing the battery, removing four screws, pulling a bracket, pulling the HD, installing the SSD, putting the bracket and screws back, and installing the battery.

It took me 15 min. I could probably do it now in five.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 24, 2014 08:48AM
Onamuji
kap
Buzz

If you're not rebooting every day then yes. Even when used for nothing more than email you're gonna find Yosemite slowing down dramatically after a few days without a reboot with that little RAM.

That is sooooo Windows.

SoCal for now.
Date: December 24, 2014 10:35AM
RAMd®d
It's *very* easy.

I think it was a matter of removing the battery, removing four screws, pulling a bracket, pulling the HD, installing the SSD, putting the bracket and screws back, and installing the battery.

okay, i'm ordering one but if i can't do it you need to come over and complete the task.

i'll even spring for the coffee!!!

be well.

rob
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 24, 2014 11:03AM
robfilms
RAMd®d
It's *very* easy.

okay, i'm ordering one but if i can't do it you need to come over and complete the task.

i'll even spring for the coffee!!!

be well.

rob

EZPZ. Just be sure to have the ifixit instructions setup on another display while you are doing it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 24, 2014 11:05AM
This is the perfect SSD for you rob: [eshop.macsales.com]

And not to throw a wrench in things and not make you not do it, but RAM was talking about a MACBOOK 3,1, not a MACBOOKPRO 3,1 -- its not quite that easy... but not hard either. Just a lot of screws. Make sure you have the right small phillips screwdriver.

You will love the SSD.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 11:06AM by jdc.
Date: December 24, 2014 11:10AM
jdc
This is the perfect SSD for you rob: [eshop.macsales.com]

And not to throw make you not do it, but RAM was talking about a MACBOOK 3,1, not a MACBOOKPRO 3,1 -- its not quite that easy... but not hard either. Just a lot of screws. Make sure you have the right small phillips.

i just order two-one for the mbp 3,1 and one to act as the boot drive for the mac pro 3,1.

it is always a quandary whether to toss money at older machines.

i'm hoping to "squeeze" out another year on the mbp and want to see if i can keep the mac pro relevant as a fcp7/fcpx edit device.

fingers crossed.

be well.

rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020