The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac Pro monitor review: The best 4K & UHD monitors for Mac
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 24, 2014 10:31AM
[9to5mac.com]

Lots of great, Mac-centric comments.

2015 might be a '4k' year for my high-end tech purchases, with the 'low-end' finally moving beyond 1080P.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac Pro monitor review: The best 4K & UHD monitors for Mac
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 24, 2014 01:27PM
Thanks, sek. I've been researching monitors for our pro photographer daughter. Nothing to do with Christmas present, etc., just the time wife want to get daughter a better Mac for photo work. I've researched new iMac, compared to Mac Pro, and I have the feeling Mac Pro will be better for long term. Getting the refurb. But the monitor. Wha' to do, wha' to do. Daughter is very much into how things look on her desk, so I've decided to get the rerurb Apple 27" monitor, just like the one reviewed in the article you linked to above. She saw Mac Pro connected to that monitor last night at Apple Store, and she liked it, even though she noticed a bit o' difference in iMac monitor. She's good at her work, but hates looking at computer stuff, making those decisions, etc., so I'm the Mac geek doing that for her. Whew. I know the pros/cons of iMac/Mac Pro for photo editing, but taking Mac Pro cons as being the better long term choice, RAM, etc. durability... She already told me, "Dad, I don't want one of those ugly Dell things."

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 24, 2014 03:01PM
The iTrashcan doesn't have any longevity over the 5K iMac. Neither can easily drive an external 5K monitor. Except for the expensive RAM, there is nothing internally upgradeable on the iTrashcan by the average user. The Apple 27" display is a disappointment for the price. The Monoprice 27" (when they have it in stock) is very close for half the price of the Apple 27" refurb.

The new iMac is a no-brainer. It has 5K built in and is usually thought of as the best display on the market today. It will be excellent as a photo editing machine for at least 3 years. But price in AppleCare for as long as they offer it, my prediction is this specific model will have legendary problems down the road.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 24, 2014 06:12PM
I will stand by our Dell 30" ultrasharp monitor and Mac Pro tower, as long as they stand and deliver.
==

though pipiens' recent spending spree did give pause for a twinge.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 24, 2014 09:58PM
I'll probably never own another Dell display.

Or at least it will have to be vetted six ways from Sunday.

The u2711 has legendary problems with the mini-DisplayPort of many computers, and Dell's customer service generally borders on horrific.

If you buy a brand new monitor from Dell and it's defective, you'll likely get a refurb as a replacement.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 25, 2014 12:14AM
Hmmm. The video card in my Hac supports 4k. Hmmm.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020