advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gasoline @ $1.68/gallon
Posted by: wave rider
Date: December 29, 2014 03:50PM
Visiting the folks in Arizona. The market that they frequent has a filling station with gas for $1.98/gallon. Using their rewards card, I filled up with a 30¢/gallon discount. Noticed some other folks getting a 60¢/gallon discount, I think it depends on how much you spend at the store during the month.

Dang, first time in ages since I paid less than $2/gallon, let alone under $3/gallon.

Inexplicably, regular gas stations by that market are all priced at $2.10/gallon. Wonder how they stay in business...

How does this compare to your area?

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gasoline @ $1.68/gallon
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 29, 2014 04:09PM
I'd say $2.80 avg here on lawn guy land, ranging from $2.60 to $3.30 last night.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 29, 2014 04:19PM
1.93 at Costco this morning
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 29, 2014 04:19PM
wave rider
Inexplicably, regular gas stations by that market are all priced at $2.10/gallon. Wonder how they stay in business...

I've often wondered about this practice myself...but I bet they know more about how to sell gas at apparently above-market rates than you or I do! Perhaps:
- their location puts them in front of drivers who are not price-sensitive, or not as aware of cheaper prices nearby as you are
- they don't really want to sell gas, they make most of their money repairing cars but their affiliation with a fuel brand helps credentialize their garage (my local garage does this)
- they sell most of their gas to commercial fleets like cabs, municipal vehicles, etc. at a different price than the one they advertise on the sign

Yesterday, in Pennsylvania: $2.49/gallon
Today, in NY: $2.75/gallon
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 29, 2014 04:22PM
$1.95 or less in SE MI.

wave rider
Visiting the folks in Arizona. The market that they frequent has a filling station with gas for $1.98/gallon. Using their rewards card, I filled up with a 30¢/gallon discount. Noticed some other folks getting a 60¢/gallon discount, I think it depends on how much you spend at the store during the month.

Dang, first time in ages since I paid less than $2/gallon, let alone under $3/gallon.

How does this compare to your area?

=wr=

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 04:22PM by modelamac.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 29, 2014 04:25PM
$3.09 for diesel this afternoon.
$2.19 for regular gas.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 29, 2014 04:33PM
good time to buy oil stock

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 29, 2014 04:33PM
$2.90-3.20 for Diesel around here. Many places actually sell fuel as a loss leader now. It gets people to stop and buy snacks, coffee, windshield washer fluid, etc for a larger profit. I was starting to wonder about fuel prices though. The AM/PM station that I usually stop at had the same price on Diesel for about 13 MONTHS. Same with several other places around town. I suspect that there was collusion involved because the price didn't match at all with other nearby towns, but there's no way to prove it. They didn't change the price until it started plummeting a few weeks ago.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: illustratton
Date: December 29, 2014 05:05PM
$1.99 for the "corn gas" crap. With the 20¢ discount = $1.79.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 29, 2014 05:06PM
jdc

Huh?
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 29, 2014 05:12PM
Still selling in the $2.60 range in Pittsburgh. But over the holiday, the price dropped to $1.99 when we crossed the border into Ohio. Funny how a line on a map can change the price of gas by 20%.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 29, 2014 05:21PM
Acer
Still selling in the $2.60 range in Pittsburgh. But over the holiday, the price dropped to $1.99 when we crossed the border into Ohio. Funny how a line on a map can change the price of gas by 20%.

State taxes are the biggest influence here, Conn is 30+ cents higher than Mass due to this.
Don't know the area, but could state mandated fuel blends involved? I think(?) all are the same now tho.
Also, high volume stations can go down quicker, as they are essentially buying fuel daily, If the wholesale drops 10 cents tomorrow AM, high volume locations get that gas in the ground today. Low volume stores may not get that lower price in the tanks for a couple days.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: andypie48
Date: December 29, 2014 05:35PM
$1.89 today near Akron with no gimmicks.
Posted by: Z
Date: December 29, 2014 05:43PM
2.85 at Costco in Anchorage.

smiley-music039
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 29, 2014 06:21PM
wave rider

In my state the station must charge at least 10¢ a gallon more than cost or face big fines ($5k to start.)

During the depths of the Great Recession I drove by a station selling gas at $1.999. (I burn Diesel.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 29, 2014 06:32PM
$2.39 but it varies by county in florida due to local taxes. One county south and it is 5¢ less, one to the NE and it is 7¢ more.

I'm surprised some of the larger chains didn't go to liter or quart pricing to make gas seem cheaper. It is generally sold by the liter in Europe.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mlfrank
Date: December 29, 2014 10:31PM
There's a local grocery chain here in NM that has a 10 cent off per $100 spent in their store. I've found that even with this incentive I get better milage from a different gas station than their's. If I can get the discount up to 30+ cents per gallon then it does become a better deal - otherwise I'll go elsewhere.

It was a kick getting it for $1.75 per a couple of weeks ago though.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 30, 2014 08:27AM
In the St. Louis area last week it sank from $1.99 to $1.83. Every week it goes up and down 10 or 20 cents, but this downward trend since summer is interesting.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 30, 2014 08:33AM
$2.459 in Northampton, MA

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 30, 2014 09:15AM
Article Accelerator
jdc

Huh?

Oil stocks have been tanking (Ha! get it?). As the price of oil has fallen, so have the prices of oil stocks.

Since prices are likely to go up in the future, the logic is that the stock prices will go back up.

So, if you believe that, then oil stocks would be a good buy right now.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: December 30, 2014 10:39AM
A quart of (conventional) motor oil w/any known brand name on it costs a minimum of $5 now... Even the discount auto supply store house brand is $3.99 -up from $1.99 last I looked. Wonder if/when those prices ever will reflect the dips in crude?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 30, 2014 12:22PM
Lux Interior
Article Accelerator
jdc

Huh?

Oil stocks have been tanking (Ha! get it?). As the price of oil has fallen, so have the prices of oil stocks.

Since prices are likely to go up in the future, the logic is that the stock prices will go back up.

So, if you believe that, then oil stocks would be a good buy right now.

Yeah, I get that. My concern would be that they still have a way to fall and also that this depressed price regime may last for quite a while.
Posted by: swf
Date: December 30, 2014 05:33PM
$1.76 in Kansas City with no gimmicks!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 30, 2014 06:11PM
Psurfer
A quart of (conventional) motor oil w/any known brand name on it costs a minimum of $5 now... Even the discount auto supply store house brand is $3.99 -up from $1.99 last I looked. Wonder if/when those prices ever will reflect the dips in crude?

The crude in your quart of oil is only a small part of the cost. When they removed ZDDP from mainstream oil, they needed to go to other, less effective, and more expensive extreme pressure lubricant additives. On the whole though, todays oils are worlds better than the stuff 10-15 years ago. Now, if you use a ZDDP additive oil in your older, flat lifter motors, you get the best of both worlds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 06:12PM by Racer X.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 30, 2014 07:34PM
blooz
$2.459 in Northampton, MA

Greenfield, $2.409 Still some wiggle room in profit margins for the stations

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 31, 2014 02:44AM
Psurfer

As Racer X said, the crude cost is a small fraction of what goes into a quart of lubricating oil. Another aspect is that besides use a fuel for vehicles, there is little other practical use for much of the distillation fraction that goes into gasoline. 110 years ago it was essentially a waste product that often was dumped or burned off. So a drop in demand for gasoline and an abundance of crude being sold at a low price will depress the price of gasoline faster than the other petrochemicals coming from that crude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2014 02:49AM by JoeH.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 31, 2014 09:52AM
Article Accelerator

Yeah, I get that. My concern would be that they still have a way to fall and also that this depressed price regime may last for quite a while.

A valid concern.

"Never try to catch a falling knife."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 31, 2014 03:09PM
JoeH
Psurfer

As Racer X said, the crude cost is a small fraction of what goes into a quart of lubricating oil. Another aspect is that besides use a fuel for vehicles, there is little other practical use for much of the distillation fraction that goes into gasoline. 110 years ago it was essentially a waste product that often was dumped or burned off. So a drop in demand for gasoline and an abundance of crude being sold at a low price will depress the price of gasoline faster than the other petrochemicals coming from that crude.

Oh, forgot the important fact. About 25% of that quart is additives. That's where the real cost is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 03, 2015 03:20PM
$2 outside Quantico

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020