advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
XBMC questions
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 30, 2014 07:33PM
I am not very familiar with XBMC and I'm hoping someone can give me a jump start with it. My desire is to install the software and be able to index and search the same video files from my iTunes library. I'm hoping that the search capabilities will be superior to iTunes and that it will allow me to search by actor names. So here are my questions.
1. Can XBMC index my iTunes files?
2. Could I then search by actor name?
3. Will this damage my iTunes library or interfere with it in any way?
4. When doing a google search it seems there are multiple distributions. Is on preferable over another?

Any other advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: XBMC questions
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 30, 2014 07:43PM
I think it's now called Kodi.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: December 30, 2014 07:55PM
1. No, not with the DRM intact. If you strip the DRM, then yes.

[www.tuneskit.com]

2. Not sure.
3. Don't know.
4. It is called Kodi now. The most current version is Helix. There are other customized distros....for example I'm running a slimmed down distro on my Amazon Fire TV Stick.

[kodi.tv]

Some people like SPMC

[spmc.semperpax.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 07:56PM by beagledave.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 30, 2014 09:02PM
Im looking at building a media server with Kodi and a Raspberry Pi B+.
[lifehacker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 09:16PM by Carm.
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 30, 2014 09:39PM
Carm
[lifehacker.com]

I have one with an Rpi B. it works well, slightly slow menus compared to a full HTPC, but videos play fine.
Date: December 30, 2014 09:50PM
p8712
Carm
[lifehacker.com]

I have one with an Rpi B. it works well, slightly slow menus compared to a full HTPC, but videos play fine.
What format are your videos? I've been converting my movie collection with handbrake to mp4 format.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 30, 2014 09:55PM
Carm
p8712
Carm
[lifehacker.com]

What format are your videos? I've been converting my movie collection with handbrake to mp4 format.

What formats were the videos before conversion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 10:06PM by silvarios.
Date: December 30, 2014 09:56PM
Mp4, AVI, MKV. A big mix of video and codecs. 1080p bluray quility plays perfectly on a Pi. Like I said, the menus are a touch slow, and initally starting takes time - becuse of both the cpu, and buffering over my network. Be sure to add $5 worth of heatsinks to the pi, and use a good power supply, otherwise you'll get intermittant crashing.

It's a darn cheap and nice HTPC though, I'm working on sideloading Kodi an a Fire TV Stick, which should be faster, to replace my Pi.
Date: December 30, 2014 10:20PM
silvarios
Carm
p8712
Carm
[lifehacker.com]

What formats were the videos before conversion?
DVD: Mpeg-2 (Rip and convert)
Date: December 30, 2014 10:30PM
p8712
Mp4, AVI, MKV. A big mix of video and codecs. 1080p bluray quility plays perfectly on a Pi. Like I said, the menus are a touch slow, and initally starting takes time - becuse of both the cpu, and buffering over my network. Be sure to add $5 worth of heatsinks to the pi, and use a good power supply, otherwise you'll get intermittant crashing.

It's a darn cheap and nice HTPC though, I'm working on sideloading Kodi an a Fire TV Stick, which should be faster, to replace my Pi.

Thanks for the tips.
Date: December 30, 2014 10:47PM
Carm
p8712

Thanks for the tips.

Oh, don't forget to pay for the Mpeg-2 codec if you need to play unconverted dvd's. It was never an issue for me, though.
Posted by: WillyB
Date: December 31, 2014 08:04AM
One cool new Kodi feature is that it plays H.265 files. The latest Handbrake will convert to H.265. Way smaller file size with no appreciable loss in quality. I keep up with the Kodi nightlies with no problems yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020