advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of Apple Stores
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 12, 2015 07:24AM
I dropped my ailing Mini off last night. I'd taken stills of the crash but I'd never been able to get a video of it. I finally did on Saturday. The Genius took one look at my video and said "logic board". So now I'm getting a $400 part for my Mini for free. Thank goodness for Applecare.

Strangely enough he was working with another Mini right before mine. I think those folks just needed a new display though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2015 07:25AM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of Apple Stores
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 12, 2015 09:30AM
I was in an Apple store the other week. Standing behind the Genius counter--I could see that the techs all had their own holster full of Apple cables with them. Pretty funny.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 12, 2015 09:33AM
those holsters are the pocket protectors of the 21st century.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: January 12, 2015 11:23AM
I was at an Apple Store last night, handing over another (my 2nd) 2011 MacBook Pro to get a new logic board for $350 due to video problems. This is a well-known issue that even the Genius acknowledged to me was not great. But they'll take my money. Hope I can get another couple years out of the machine before it dies again.
Date: January 12, 2015 11:31AM
Bixby
I was at an Apple Store last night, handing over another (my 2nd) 2011 MacBook Pro to get a new logic board for $350 due to video problems. This is a well-known issue that even the Genius acknowledged to me was not great. But they'll take my money. Hope I can get another couple years out of the machine before it dies again.

Here's mine...

But it is totally locked up. After 20-30 seconds it reboots itself.

Posted by: Bixby
Date: January 12, 2015 11:44AM
At least you get video. Both of mine were completely black. Sometimes restarting about 20 times in a row would revive it for a bit. Sometimes.
Date: January 12, 2015 11:57AM
Yeah. That would suck.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 12, 2015 01:15PM
Bixby
I was at an Apple Store last night, handing over another (my 2nd) 2011 MacBook Pro to get a new logic board for $350 due to video problems.

We own two Early 2011 MacBook Pro computers. Neither system has exhibited any video issues. One of us has some kind of luck, Bixby…
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 12, 2015 05:33PM
Article Accelerator
Bixby
I was at an Apple Store last night, handing over another (my 2nd) 2011 MacBook Pro to get a new logic board for $350 due to video problems.

We own two Early 2011 MacBook Pro computers. Neither system has exhibited any video issues. One of us has some kind of luck, Bixby…

My dad has the same problem. This is not uncommon. Is it 90%? Probably not. However, I would not be surprised if it is 30% or more failure rate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 12, 2015 08:18PM
silvarios
Article Accelerator
Bixby

My dad has the same problem. This is not uncommon. Is it 90%? Probably not. However, I would not be surprised if it is 30% or more failure rate.

A class action suit has been filed about it.

[appleinsider.com]

Here's a thread with over 11,000 replies on the subject.

[discussions.apple.com]
Date: January 13, 2015 01:45AM
GGD

[appleinsider.com]

Here's a thread with over 11,000 replies on the subject.

[discussions.apple.com]

Thanks for the info.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 13, 2015 02:03AM
We have three early 2011 MBPs. Two have AppleCare still in effect. The one that doesn't has the well known problem. But my son had dinged the corner so no logic board replacement can be done by Apple unless we also replace the case which the Genius said would be $1200+. And obviously AppleCare would not cover anything anyway because of the ding.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 02:04AM by Speedy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2015 04:03AM

A class actions suit about it has been dismissed.

[appleinsider.com]

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 13, 2015 12:24PM
Speedy
We have three early 2011 MBPs. Two have AppleCare still in effect. The one that doesn't has the well known problem. But my son had dinged the corner so no logic board replacement can be done by Apple unless we also replace the case which the Genius said would be $1200+. And obviously AppleCare would not cover anything anyway because of the ding.

That's so illogical it hurts. So if I get an optical disc stuck in the drive of this MacBook, the known issue with the cracking case wouldn't be covered? Yes, I know the cracking case extended repair program is over, just a hypothetical. I'm sorry Apple wasn't a wee bit more reasonable.

Edit: As an aside, I took my old iBook SE Paris into service way back in the day, think it was the problem with the optical drive (stopped reading DVDs I think) and also let the tech know there were wonky keyboard keys as well. Not only did Apple refuse to fix the keyboard, they damaged the screen, but to their credit, replaced the optical drive (and later modem as well). I fought against the screen damage for a bit, but gave finally settled for a paid repair. Then came the quote, $1000 to fix the display. Far too much given new iBooks were $1000 at the time. Saved the money and got by with older 68K and non OS X PowerPC Apple portables for a few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 01:03PM by silvarios.
Date: January 13, 2015 12:24PM
RAMd®d

A class actions suit about it has been dismissed.

[appleinsider.com]

Well, that's awesome. Known problem, iMac of similar vintage is covered, MacBook Pro is not. Apple denies any responsibility.

Edit: Seems like the case was filed with long shot assertions. Known product defect wouldn't suffice? That's how the guy in Seattle(?) beat Apple in small claims court.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 12:29PM by silvarios.
Posted by: raz
Date: January 13, 2015 01:59PM
On the other hand, I was putting an SSD into a friend's (2008?) MacBook Pro, and I discovered that one of the screws was stripped.

We took it to the local Apple store - without an appointment - a few days before X-Mas. The tech took it into the back, and returned in a few minutes with a new screw. No charge.

Similarly, my daughter took her (2009?) MacBook Pro in for a new battery last month. She wowed the geeks with tales of the experiments she was doing on their monkeys, so they waived the labor charges.

You get some good and some bad. Mostly good.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: January 13, 2015 05:26PM
raz
On the other hand, I was putting an SSD into a friend's (2008?) MacBook Pro, and I discovered that one of the screws was stripped.

We took it to the local Apple store - without an appointment - a few days before X-Mas. The tech took it into the back, and returned in a few minutes with a new screw. No charge.

Similarly, my daughter took her (2009?) MacBook Pro in for a new battery last month. She wowed the geeks with tales of the experiments she was doing on their monkeys, so they waived the labor charges.

You get some good and some bad. Mostly good.

Must be nice. I've never had that type of experience. I couldn't even get Apple to send me missing system discs from a system Apple sold me directly. Not without multiple calls and a couple trips to the store.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 13, 2015 05:27PM
The only 2011 owner I know experienced this exact problem. Totally sucks.
Date: January 13, 2015 05:29PM
sekker
The only 2011 owner I know experienced this exact problem. Totally sucks.

Yeah. Oh well. Live and learn, right? Every company has their lemons.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020