advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who are the "Mac Marines" and how can we get them to shut up?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: December 12, 2005 03:16PM
From an article I read this morning, a positive look at Apple's success.

The five rules of cool
By Harris Collingwood

December 13, 2005 - 12:00AM

Almost since its founding in 1976, Apple Computer has enjoyed a prominence out of all proportion to its rather modest share of the personal computer market. That prominence can be measured by the attention lavished on the company's every move as well as every attempt to analyse its strategy and tactics.

Consider the uproar from Macintosh purists when Apple launched its brief attempt to license its operating system to other hardware companies. When Apple reversed course and opted to keep its operating system to itself, another camp bellowed just as loudly.

Whenever a journalist suggests that Apple might be something less than the most perfect organisation in recorded history, the poor sap is deluged with emails and phone calls from self-appointed "Mac Marines."

------

note: the "Mac Marines" line made me laugh, but really, who are these people? Why do these self-appointed militants feel compelled to display blind loyalty, and get infantile about it? These are the nuts who amplify Apple's "Cult" image, which hurts more than helps. This must drive columnists crazy, always having to qualify analysis or criticism by adding "mac fantatics, please don't bomb my inbox".

What's the deal with these guys? Would any of you admit to having done this? Written an angry note to an editor after an article about Apple you didn't like? Know anyone who has? Any way we can get these people to SHUT UP? Interested in your thoughts on this. I'm sure you've seen columnists make a note about this, begging mac heads not to bomb them. Why do this? How does it help anything? I wish we could stick a sock in their mouth, or take away their mac priveleges for a month. You know what I mean?

Full article here:
[www.theage.com.au]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who are the "Mac Marines" and how can we get them to shut up?
Posted by: iaJim
Date: December 12, 2005 03:26PM
I have met the enemy, and they are us. -Pogo
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 12, 2005 03:27PM
Guy Kawasaki did this, but he always encouraged "friendly" communication and only if you really cared about the particular subject, e.g. if company X dropped Mac support for product Y, please contact them and let them know if you used this product. I was on his mailing list way back when, although I never helped in any email campaigns.

Some "journalists" are anti-Mac and deserve a good ass-kicking, however. *cough*DVORAK*cough* *ahem*Kim Komando*ahem*
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 12, 2005 03:28PM
Isn't this the legacy of Guy Kawasaki and his MacEvangelists? Woe be to the reporter that says anything about Apple: it doesn't have to be wrong, or nasty, just saying something NOT flattering will draw their wrath. I find it pretty obnoxious, myself. And it creates this illusion that we all foam at the mouth.

I don't bother reporters or writers with this stuff. I have complained to companies on occasion, for example if they offer bonus software for a purchase but none of it works on a Mac even though the purchased item does. And even then I try to be polite.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 12, 2005 03:52PM
<Isn't this the legacy of Guy Kawasaki and his MacEvangelists?

I was one of Guy's Mac Evangle-Lista's...
To my recollection he NEVER requested ANYONE to respond negatively just because someone says something "unflattering"...
He encouraged people to make POLITE CORRECTIONS to any unfactual information presented. Not ranting, flaming, or being generally obnoxious... just polite comment and correction where applicable.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 12, 2005 03:56PM
My memory was quite the opposite, but I think I will have to take the word of two former Evangelistas over my lousy memory.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 12, 2005 04:07PM
There is always the possibility that I'm wrong... but I don't think so smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 12, 2005 05:23PM
I was also an Evangelista.

The email list we received was called the EvangeList and the full archive used to be floating around out there but I haven't seen it in years. All Google links that I tried are dead.

Guy alway suggested tact, clarity and politeness when writing and pointing out factual errors about Apple. In reality it was more like a pack of rabid wolves attacking the offending party. Pretty agressive and over the top by todays standards and maybe even a little scary back then.

Remember though, it was a different world back then and we didn't question orders, we just did what we were told! So I hope you youngsters appreciate that a lot of good men were lost just so you could have those shiny new G5 cheese graters today! winking smiley

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2005 05:24PM by Jack D..
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 12, 2005 05:28PM
Right on, Lux is here. You know the forum is official when Lux appears.

"For the Love of Ivy" - Gun Club

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: RonT
Date: December 12, 2005 06:29PM
I could be wrong about who they are referring to in the article but there is a site called www.macmarines.com - I believe they've been around for years.

Ron
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 12, 2005 07:37PM
Every platform has its zealots.

Sometimes they're valuable, sometimes they're the drunk uncle nobody wants to acknowledge.

Sometimes they're well meaning, sometimes they enjoy being mean.

Sometimes they're knowledgeable, sometimes they're fools.

Go to a PC centric forum and calmly and intelligently present a view about driving a Mac and see if you don't get a lot of flack.

Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 12, 2005 10:20PM
One more Evangelista here.

Was just looking at my old "Ask me about iMac" button from the roll-out.

We seem to have gotten away from Apple making us feel like we were a part of something bigger.

"Mac Marines" used to be some sort of an evangelism site. I remember them vaguely. Now it's a link-site, sitting there hoping for better days, I suppose.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: December 12, 2005 10:33PM
"Go to a PC centric forum and calmly and intelligently present a view about driving a Mac and see if you don't get a lot of flack"

I think some of you guys--with all due respect--are missing the point. Or worse, unwittingly amplifying my point by negative example.

I'm not referring to computer forums where spirited discussion and even abusive language is normal and tolerated. I'm talking about mainstream publications like the Wall Street Jorunal, BusinessWeek, or InfoWorld, places like that, where self-appointed mac zealots feel compelled to email bomb writers of articles they don't like. These are guys who DON'T REPRESENT US, or our views, guys who do a DISSERVICE to the perception of Apple's user base.

It seems like some of us got off track, and got misty-eyed about the glory days of Mac Evangelism. That's an insider's view of an inside world. I'm talking about the real world. Normal magazines who have a tech writer on staff, columnists who in no way deserve being bombarded by a bunch of militant mac users with nothing better to do than pretend they're part of Steve's Army. Steve doesn't want these guys either. None of us do.

Scrape 'em off. They're an annoyance, it's a misleading representation of mac users (or, dear god, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's a lot of A-hole letter-to-the-editor writers lurking even in the places I expect to find rational mac users) no matter what fantasy mission they're on. It's not necessary, and only confirms the reputation of mac users as pro-Steve Zombies and boot-licking lackeys.

A polite correction of a misinformed article? Sure. A firm rebuttal of a bad article? Absolutely. Mail bombing and name calling? Sorry guys, that's never acceptable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020