advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another fine Goodwill score.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: January 19, 2015 07:32PM
Swung into the Goodwill store yesterday after being at an antiques show all day. Lo and behold on the shelf was something I hadn't seen in a while... iPod Hi-Fi. They only wanted $20 for it, so now it lives in my house. smiling smiley Excellent sound, controls are a little bit lame for the remote. Glad I didn't pay $350 for it back in '06 but for what I spent it is quite amazing. I knew I have been holding onto my iPod mini for some reason.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another fine Goodwill score.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 19, 2015 07:50PM
Good one, congrats!
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 19, 2015 09:23PM
Wow that is a great deal. I paid $75 for mine. I find the sound to be "ok" so I use it in my office. A tweak of the equalizer helps. Yes I'm aware it isn't "on" right now.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 09:24PM by davemchine.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 19, 2015 11:39PM
nice!

I picked up 30 records today. They were 49 cents each.

Most of these albums are in primo condition inside.

Their CDs were priced 10 for $1, so I bought 30 of them.

We also found an argyle cashmere sweater for $6, we picked that up for our daughter's friend.

---
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 19, 2015 11:48PM
kahuna1342
Swung into the Goodwill store yesterday after being at an antiques show all day. Lo and behold on the shelf was something I hadn't seen in a while... iPod Hi-Fi. They only wanted $20 for it, so now it lives in my house. smiling smiley Excellent sound, controls are a little bit lame for the remote. Glad I didn't pay $350 for it back in '06 but for what I spent it is quite amazing. I knew I have been holding onto my iPod mini for some reason.

Thats a find. I remember walking into a Target and they were on clearance for $88. Almost bought one.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: January 20, 2015 12:12AM
That's pretty cheap for a GW, the ones around here charge an arm and half a leg, lol. The thrifts in the next town over are even higher--they must think everybody's an ebay speculator
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 20, 2015 12:37AM
decay
nice!

We also found an argyle cashmere sweater for $6, we picked that up for our daughter's friend.

Nice score!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 20, 2015 07:43AM
The wife and I are scrounging up singles, pre-stocking for a 1941 jukebox her parents are gifting to us as soon as we can get up to Pennsylvania to pick it up. Found a great-condition 45 of the Star Wars Main Title b/w Cantina Band in a thrift shop the other day, and if you don't think that sucker is going in there, you probably also don't think Han shot first...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 20, 2015 08:40AM
The disco version by Meco? I have that 45, too and remember it being a minor hit. Meco sure seized the moment and had a whole LP of that stuff and did Battlestar Galactica-themed music as well.
Date: January 20, 2015 08:42AM
btfc
decay
nice!

Nice score!

Oh yeah, that's a ton of good music too. I paused my thrift store LP purchasing, the shops around here only have leftover easy listening, religious or sorry pop tripe.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 20, 2015 08:59AM
deckeda
The disco version by Meco? I have that 45, too and remember it being a minor hit. Meco sure seized the moment and had a whole LP of that stuff and did Battlestar Galactica-themed music as well.

This single is the John Williams version from the actual soundtrack... but I do have an original copy of Meco's Star Wars And Other Galactic Funk, and it's on 8-track, baby.

(Googled photo here, not my copy)

Date: January 20, 2015 09:14AM
Getting off topic here but for anyone interested in Stars Music music there's also "Zubin Mehta Conducts Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra - Suites From Star Wars And Close Encounters Of The Third Kind"

From 1978 on London records, it's very good. There's also a MFSL version that's even better, back when MFSL versions were actually better than original pressings, before their VP decided to only approve pressings that were jacked up in bass and treble.
Date: January 20, 2015 09:23AM
looks like that Deep Purple Royal Philharmonic is rare and sells for over $100.... woo hoo!

i'm told the double live "The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East" is fantastic, one whole side is dedicated to Whipping Post.

---
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 20, 2015 09:33AM
decay
looks like that Deep Purple Royal Philharmonic is rare and sells for over $100.... woo hoo!

Score! Load the Amazon price checker app and scan barcodes as you walk around the thrift store. Never know what might be worth something.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 20, 2015 09:38AM
lots of older records have no barcode - but yeah, that is handy!

the MilkCrate app for iOS has a barcode scanner for that purpose also.

[itunes.apple.com]

---
Date: January 20, 2015 09:41AM
Really? You've never heard "The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East" before? It's incredible stuff.
Date: January 20, 2015 09:43AM
deckeda
Really? You've never heard "The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East" before? It's incredible stuff.

I have a lot of back catalog to catch up on. Cheap vinyl makes it affordable and legal; keeps me off torrents. ;)

---
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 20, 2015 09:58AM
my GW store charges $1.99 per CD and I think the same for albums. They're just crazy at pricing, so I only buy what I really want or is worth something (too many hipsters and knowledgeable people around me to have much of a chance unless I were there every day).
Date: January 20, 2015 11:10AM
$2 is on the higher end for thrift shops but would be very low for most used record stores. That said, the selection and quality are usually the reason for the difference.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: January 20, 2015 12:43PM
I only live two miles from our GW, so sometimes I am there at least once a day. They tend to pile up their backlog in a visible spot, so you can see if it's worth going in.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: January 20, 2015 02:58PM
Luckily the Portland area has a pretty good network of Goodwill stores. I have been known to hit 6-7 of them in an afternoon. This time of year is really great as they stock stuff from Target that has been returned and/or salvaged. Saw a 70" Vizio in there last week for $750. Picked up my JBL Pulse for $70 last spring. This weekend I also picked up a $110 pair of Oakley sunglasses for $4.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Date: January 20, 2015 02:59PM
I just found out from a guy at the local record shop that those CDs came from a massive donation - he knows the person who donated them.

Get this - 75,000 to 80,000 discs were donated. Holy mackerel.

---
Date: January 20, 2015 03:33PM
good electronics are so hit and miss (back to the original post).

i did find my current Denon turntable for $20 at Goodwill. auto-return doesn't work, but it sounds great.

---
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 20, 2015 05:24PM
decay you are one lucky person! I've been searching for a turntable in my town and there's been nothing on craigslist.

I followed the vintage audio page on Facebook for awhile but it just got frustrating because these guys find amazing deals on good gear and there's never anything around me. ROTFL

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 05:27PM by davemchine.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 20, 2015 05:41PM
davemchine
decay you are one lucky person! I've been searching for a turntable in my town and there's been nothing on craigslist.

I followed the vintage audio page on Facebook for awhile but it just got frustrating because these guys find amazing deals on good gear and there's never anything around me. ROTFL

Entry level Rega and Pro-Ject belt drive tables are a good deal.

[www.needledoctor.com]

Stay away from direct drive turntables.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: January 20, 2015 07:34PM
Nice! Those still command about 150-200 on ebay. I got mine at a Goodwill as well, though not nearly that cheap, back when the HiFis were still on the market, and Goodwill would resell the returned products from Target.

I admire some of the design touches on the thing. Even the design of the battery compartment is nicely done showing that Apple attention to detail.

There were several products that seemed inspired heavily by its design, like this one by Beats.
Date: January 21, 2015 08:28AM
davemchine

I have a friend selling two extra turntables, but I'm not sure how safely they can be shipped. He wants $100 each, both have new belts and good cartridges. He's a vinyl fanatic - much moreso than me.

I'll listen to CDs, he won't.

---
Date: January 21, 2015 08:35AM
Audio-Technica AT-LP120 runs about $300, it's direct drive.

Its belt-driven younger brother Audio-Technica AT-LP60 runs about $100.

Avoid Crosley.

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 08:36AM by decay.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 21, 2015 03:49PM
decay
I have a friend selling two extra turntables, but I'm not sure how safely they can be shipped.

Might he throw in a microphone? grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 21, 2015 06:16PM
N-OS X-tasy!
decay
I have a friend selling two extra turntables, but I'm not sure how safely they can be shipped.

All depends on where it's at.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 21, 2015 11:55PM
Lew Zealand
N-OS X-tasy!
decay

All depends on where it's at.

smileys with beer

It is what it is.
Date: January 22, 2015 12:13PM
perfect!

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020