advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
@#$%& that cloud!! Please help me fix my contacts
Posted by: hal
Date: January 20, 2015 05:17PM
Ugh... I just realized that there are a few contacts on my work computer that aren't on my iphone. I connect my iphone to my imac regularly for syncing.

I saw that I did not have contacts set to sync via the cloud, so I checked it on my iMac's preferences. And most of the contacts vanished from both the icloud page and the iphone... GREAT! No change to the contacts on the imac (10.9.4).

Phone is iphone6 running IOS8.

Any advice to get the cloud, the phone and the imac all synced? Or skip the cloud - I didn't want to use it anyway for this... any way to get just the phone and the computer synced and then auto synced when I plug into the computer (or am on that same network?). I really don't want to have to manually sync every time I add a new contact...

GAWD I hate the cloud!!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: @#$%& that cloud!! Please help me fix my contacts
Date: January 20, 2015 05:29PM
Solved it myself... mostly...

I found that the cloud can import vcf contacts and initially tried to import an 'abbu' archive file - didn't work, BUT I was able to created a vcf file with all of my contacts by selecting all contacts on the imac and drag them to the finder - that creates one big vcf file and THAT was properly imported by the cloud contact list - mostly. It said that 13 contacts could not be imported, but I'm not sure why - most seemed to be duplicates, but not all.

Now... will all contact list now be updated when I create changes to one of them? I'll find out soon, but I can't spend more time on this now...
Date: January 20, 2015 05:45PM
YES!! Created new contact on the imac and it showed up on the iphone. THen edited the contact on the iphone and it (eventually - only after closing and reopening) contacts on the imac.

YAY! Success!

Now to get siri to understand when I ask to call Dr Okasaki (the missing contact that started this whole mess)

[edit - even THAT worked after all that training I put siri through...]
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 20, 2015 06:05PM
What a great forum, being able to work together to solve your problem!
Posted by: DP
Date: January 20, 2015 06:21PM
Interesting that the word you used that was caught by the filter shows up unaltered in my response window!
But, my comment was that all this syncing should be getting easier and easier, no?
Date: January 20, 2015 07:33PM
Buck
What a great forum, being able to work together to solve your problem!

kumbaya, my lord....

kumbaya...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020