advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
6 Reasons Why Apple Is Still More Doomed Than You Think
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 28, 2015 09:14AM
“Given all this good news, what could possibly be wrong with Apple?” Cohan writes. “Here are six things that should give investors pause.”

1. Expensive stock
2. Tumbling smartphone prices
3. Declining margins
4. Shrinking iPad sales
5. Overhyped Apple Watch
6. Inability to innovate

[macdailynews.com]

Well then, maybe we should SELL our AAPL stock! Village idiot, indeed! smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 6 Reasons Why Apple Is Still More Doomed Than You Think
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 28, 2015 09:25AM
1. Expensive? The P/E is 18 (I think that is pre-Q4 earnings). The price has not risen to a value that is undeserved relative to earnings.

2. Good point

3. Good point

4. Good point

5. What AAPL product isn't over-hyped? Let's wait and see if this is the next great i-Thing, or the next Apple TV.

6. Again, let's see how this watch thing turns out.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 28, 2015 09:30AM
I though the same Rick - village idiot indeed. I call'em knuckahaids.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 28, 2015 10:26AM
I don't think that Apple is expensive. Amazon is expensive. Apple are producing obscene amounts of profit on obscene amounts of revenue. Amazon are losing money on smaller, but still obscene amounts of revenue, yet their stock price is CRAZY high. People have blind faith that once Amazon puts Walmart out of business, they'll take over the world. Ironically, the less Amazon sells, the more profitable they are. The Amazon marketplace sales are far more profitable than the sales directly from Amazon because someone else pays for the acquisition, inventory, and delivery of the product. Amazon just takes a slice of the final purchase price.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 28, 2015 11:42AM
click bait.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 28, 2015 03:46PM
clic bait.

Yes, that's sort of my feeling as well.

MacDailyNews Take: Let’s all gather ’round to gawk at the village idiot, shall we?

Some advice for Cohan: When you do not understand a subject, it’s best to write about something else; something you understand. You know, like protective helmets and drool cups.

The original quoted article is from Forbes, reprinted in MDN with the above critique.

I'm not a fan of MDN.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 28, 2015 05:13PM
It is to laugh.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 28, 2015 06:29PM
There is one worrisome thing about Apple's latest report: 70% of their profits came from one device, the iPhone.

That's too much concentration in a single product. It's not sustainable.

Apple needs to expand their offerings. In order to do this, they need to innovate. So, the criticism that Apple has not sufficiently innovated is a good one.

I don't think that the Apple Watch is particularly innovative. It's useful for Apple Pay, but aside from extravagant price there's little else to differentiate it from the competition and fundamentally, it's part of the pre-existing iPhone ecosystem.

Apple needs to come up with an entirely new device.

Posted by: btfc
Date: January 28, 2015 08:38PM
[news.google.com]
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 28, 2015 08:40PM
Onamuji
There is one worrisome thing about Apple's latest report: 70% of their profits came from one device, the iPhone.

Apple needs to expand their offerings. In order to do this, they need to innovate. So, the criticism that Apple has not sufficiently innovated is a good one.

I don't think that the Apple Watch is particularly innovative. It's useful for Apple Pay, but aside from extravagant price there's little else to differentiate it from the competition and fundamentally, it's part of the pre-existing iPhone ecosystem.

Not necessarily. Apple never really came up with any new devices, they took existing devices and made them better, made them such that people would find them easy to use and also useful. That is where they innovate. iMac? There already were PC's around. iPod? Mp3 players already existed. iPad? Microsoft played around with tablets years before. Phones? Smartphones were already available.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 28, 2015 09:26PM
Sam3
Onamuji

Not necessarily. Apple never really came up with any new devices, they took existing devices and made them better, made them such that people would find them easy to use and also useful. That is where they innovate. iMac? There already were PC's around. iPod? Mp3 players already existed. iPad? Microsoft played around with tablets years before. Phones? Smartphones were already available.

Well they've basically stopped doing that a good while ago. I'm ready for the next "truly" improved thing. They can start with the Surface.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 28, 2015 09:37PM
click bait - refuse to click.

But it IS possible this quarter will not be repeated by Apple.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 28, 2015 09:50PM
I think this was a record only because of sales in China. Maybe the Chinese may think their government can spy less on users if they have a newer iPhone...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 28, 2015 10:03PM
Onamuji

Eustace and I had the answer a while ago: the iShade/iHat:

[forums.macresource.com]

Maybe we should make them, and then Apple will buy us out, and we will live in splendor ever after. We could start in my garage. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 464
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020