The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sell Your Apple TV 2 now!
Posted by: p8712
Date: January 29, 2015 01:59PM
Before word gets out!

Looks like Kodi's done for.

Kodi/XBMC Support is the main reason jailbroken ATV2s hold their value. I'm guessing this'll lower their resale price.

My $19 fire tv stick runs Kodi and Plex quite well at 1080p, with full support and virtually no tweaking required. A good alternative.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sell Your Apple TV 2 now!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 29, 2015 02:04PM
Frodo is dead.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 29, 2015 02:44PM
Honestly, ever since Amazon allowed AirPlay from iOS devices to the ATV I haven't been concerned with XMBC at all.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 29, 2015 02:51PM
Mike,

I suspect that vast majority of the public has never even heard of it. That and the those that do know of it are just as likely to use one of the competitors, i.e. Plex. Or, just stick to what's already built into the media streaming device and be done with it. The combination of iTunes streaming (from my Mac Mini) and Plex do the job for me. The combination of both platforms covers all of my devices nicely. Plex for Roku and the Smart features of my TV. iTunes for my idevices and my Macs.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 02:52PM by Robert M.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 29, 2015 03:05PM
mikebw
Honestly, ever since Amazon allowed AirPlay from iOS devices to the ATV I haven't been concerned with XMBC at all.

XBMC/Kodi long ago ceased supporting Amazon Instant Video. No one running such an installation would be using it for Amazon.
Date: January 29, 2015 03:07PM
Robert M
Mike,

I suspect that vast majority of the public has never even heard of it. That and the those that do know of it are just as likely to use one of the competitors, i.e. Plex. Or, just stick to what's already built into the media streaming device and be done with it. The combination of iTunes streaming (from my Mac Mini) and Plex do the job for me. The combination of both platforms covers all of my devices nicely. Plex for Roku and the Smart features of my TV. iTunes for my idevices and my Macs.

Robert

Don't necessarily disagree, but the point is that the Apple TV 2 enjoys crazy resale value given its limitations and that's likely to change because the resale value was entirely driven by its hackability.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 29, 2015 03:27PM
It's still hack able as far as I can tell.

Just one less supported software.
Date: January 29, 2015 04:34PM
Silvarios,

If the resale value changes, I doubt it will be much. As sekker said, it's still hackable. That and it wouldn't surprise me at all if another developer takes the place of this package with one of its own. I guess you could say, in the big scheme of things, it just doesn't seem like a big deal.

Robert
Date: January 29, 2015 10:07PM
sekker
It's still hack able as far as I can tell.

Just one less supported software.

Hackable to run what? XBMC/Kodi was the big draw. Boxee is likewise gone, right? Plex maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:14PM by silvarios.
Date: January 29, 2015 10:16PM
Robert M
Silvarios,

If the resale value changes, I doubt it will be much. As sekker said, it's still hackable. That and it wouldn't surprise me at all if another developer takes the place of this package with one of its own. I guess you could say, in the big scheme of things, it just doesn't seem like a big deal.

Robert

I humbly disagree. Boxee is gone, XMBC/Kodi is gone, the sunset of the gen 2 is here. When you can get a 3rd gen Apple TV that is actually supported by Apple and has more features for $100 or less, the gen 2 will become an increasingly poor buy.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 29, 2015 10:28PM
I truly do not know what people are installing on a jailbroken ATV2.

Most of the software that's listed (and either is no longer supporter or will not be supported runs fine on a Raspberry Pi, so I do not see those as compelling use cases for paying >$200 and then hacking into older hardware.

I had assumed some cool techie users drove the price up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:29PM by sekker.
Date: January 29, 2015 10:44PM
sekker
I truly do not know what people are installing on a jailbroken ATV2.

Most of the software that's listed (and either is no longer supporter or will not be supported runs fine on a Raspberry Pi, so I do not see those as compelling use cases for paying >$200 and then hacking into older hardware.

I had assumed some cool techie users drove the price up.

Yes, to run XBMC and the like, but those days are unfortunately sunsetting. I thought the 2nd gen Apple TV was always overpriced and sold mine for a mild markup (less than $150) because the price gouging was simply stupid. There were other devices that essentially did the same thing then and now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:45PM by silvarios.
Date: January 30, 2015 09:06AM
Sil,

It's only a big deal to people who own the AppleTV2 and hacked it. Or, those interested in buying an AppleTV2 and hacking it. You're talking a very small number of people. Sorry to be a downer on this but if the loss of XMBC/KODI for the AppleTV2 is an issue, it really is a minor one at best in my opinion. Your last post kinda confirms my assessment.

Robert
Date: January 30, 2015 09:38AM
Robert M
Sil,

It's only a big deal to people who own the AppleTV2 and hacked it. Or, those interested in buying an AppleTV2 and hacking it. You're talking a very small number of people. Sorry to be a downer on this but if the loss of XMBC/KODI for the AppleTV2 is an issue, it really is a minor one at best in my opinion. Your last post kinda confirms my assessment.

Robert

What jailbroken software is there for the ATV that's so great? Genuinely curious.
Date: January 30, 2015 10:35AM
Robert M
Sil,

Robert

Sure, minor in the larger scheme of things. I agree. However, for resale value, a complete depression on price. The 3rd gen is a better buy going forward. 2nd gen Apple TVs were selling for $150, $200, even $250. That market is likely to evaporate.
Date: January 30, 2015 12:45PM
p8712
Robert M
Sil,

Robert

What jailbroken software is there for the ATV that's so great? Genuinely curious.

The big one was XBMC/Kodi.
Date: January 30, 2015 12:47PM
silvarios
p8712
Robert M
Sil,

Robert

The big one was XBMC/Kodi.

That's what I thought, hence this topic.
Date: January 30, 2015 12:48PM
Oh, I agree completely. Just showing support for your OP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020