advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
20 "weird" things that foreigners find strange in the U.S.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 03, 2015 10:30AM
OK, I gotta say this goes against my principles...
I generally LOATHE any "x weird things" lists.

But I have to say, I happen to think many of these things "we" in the U.S. do ARE a little weird...

[www.somuchviral.com]

Don't know where the author lived/visited that #11 is true though.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 20 "weird" things that foreigners find strange in the U.S.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 03, 2015 10:36AM
huh. For me, Link wants to install the Genio application. It's junk/malware. Watch out.
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 03, 2015 10:37AM
At least you don't have to click through 20 times. I find 14 to be quite true.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 03, 2015 10:45AM
21. Americans can't spell
22. Americans don't know geography
Date: February 03, 2015 10:48AM
Spiff
huh. For me, Link wants to install the Genio application. It's junk/malware. Watch out.

That's odd... no such prompt for me! (maybe I have an ad-blocker that keeps it from showing its face?)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 03, 2015 10:49AM
Buck
21. Americans can't spell
22. Americans don't know geography

Those should be in the top 5...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 03, 2015 10:50AM
TLB
I find 14 to be quite true.

Yup..
Never really noticed it until I started making most of my own bread in a bread machine - but yes, store-bought breads are pretty sweet, generally speaking.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 03, 2015 10:56AM
Look like random comments by individuals, not broadly held opinions (and some are just flat out wrong i.e. toilets too low - travel a bit outside the first world and see.)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 03, 2015 11:12AM
Let them say what they want. Just so long as they follow my hometown advice: "Welcome to New York, Spend Money!"
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 03, 2015 11:28AM
DeusxMac
Look like random comments by individuals, not broadly held opinions (and some are just flat out wrong i.e. toilets too low - travel a bit outside the first world and see.)

I agree. No sympathy for those who agree with #3, and 21-22 posted later are also true. So sad.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 03, 2015 11:44AM
What the hell is wrong with the world that is isn't exactly like the U. S. of A.?

The mind boggles.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 03, 2015 11:55AM
DeusxMac
and some are just flat out wrong i.e. toilets too low - travel a bit outside the first world and see.

The other part of that (no privacy) is very true. One of the things I miss about my office in France is the actual room, with a door & light switch for the s**tter.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 03, 2015 12:02PM
Well, our toilets may be low, not really in my experience, but have you ever tried the toilet paper in Italy?
Try wiping your tush with crepe paper, and you will get a really good approximation.

And, speaking of toilets, many places in Europe still have the "standing only" toilets, aka, a hole in the floor. I will take a low toilet any day over a standing only one. And yeah, it might not be as big a deal for you men, but it is just wrong to ask a woman to go like that. I taught my daughter early in her life, when she was about 4-5, that if you are in Europe, specifically Italy, always go to the bathroom in the church or the museum, before you leave, even if you don't really have to "go." You do not want to dash into a little bar/restaurant and expect a proper toilet. We had to do it once, and she never forgot, after that. It was good she was still small and mom was there to help out. Yeah, I know, TMI. grinning smiley <end of rant>

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 03, 2015 12:09PM
German toilets have to among the strangest toilets I've ever endured, and I've had to use the traditional bomb drop.

German toilets are similar to ours, but there's basically no water in them until you flush them. Yes, you get to wallow in your own stink. Probably useful when it comes to preventing people from reading the paper on the throne...
Date: February 03, 2015 12:19PM
freeradical
Probably useful when it comes to preventing people from reading the paper on the throne...

Mercy flush.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 03, 2015 12:40PM
rgG
Well, our toilets may be low, not really in my experience, but have you ever tried the toilet paper in Italy?
Try wiping your tush with crepe paper, and you will get a really good approximation.

And, speaking of toilets, many places in Europe still have the "standing only" toilets, aka, a hole in the floor. I will take a low toilet any day over a standing only one. And yeah, it might not be as big a deal for you men, but it is just wrong to ask a woman to go like that. I taught my daughter early in her life, when she was about 4-5, that if you are in Europe, specifically Italy, always go to the bathroom in the church or the museum, before you leave, even if you don't really have to "go." You do not want to dash into a little bar/restaurant and expect a proper toilet. We had to do it once, and she never forgot, after that. It was good she was still small and mom was there to help out. Yeah, I know, TMI. grinning smiley <end of rant>

What do people with bad knees do there?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: February 03, 2015 12:42PM
1. True
2. You want to see flags ? Visit Norway.
3. I don't know, I don't recall ever seeing anything but +VAT on a tag.
4. I've had cabbies get in fist fights over American tourists in Italy. Broken nose, bloody body parts fist fights.
5. True
6. Meh.
7. What little TV I watched there were ads. Some quite funny.
8. So they have cheese in toothpaste tubes instead. and unidentifiable meat and fish.
9. Bull. I've met quite a few people around the world who from dealing with tourists can tell not only what part of the world you are from but what part of the country by vernacular and accent.Most quite happy to explain some of their own.
10. Never noticed much of a difference.
11. I've gotten some pretty bland pickles and other weird things plopped on the plate traveling.
12. Couldn't comment.
13. Wanna p isa off a street cop or bike rider in Copenhagen ? Step off the curb into a bike or car lane when it is not your turn. Great place to learn some unusual Danish terms too. Guess what ? the middle finger is fairly universal as are some other expressions.
14.Too much sugar and salt in everything here. Corn syrup now too.
15. Not as common over there maybe but not unheard of either. Smaller glasses and the pop is usually less carbonated, less sweetend an can have real flavorings.
16. That kinda depends where you go, same there as here although Scandinavians and some more northern parts of Mainland euro countries tend to be available for conversation and tend less to initiate one.
17. :-)
18. Huh ?
19. Every country has their own form of nationalism and cultural identities. Most visitors understand patriotism as what it is. A binder for all the culturisms still maintained amongst groups even here.
20. Haven't noticed.

Never came across a squat toilet in Italy, but plenty that cost 1/2 Euro quite commonly after you used it.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 01:14PM by billb.
Date: February 03, 2015 12:43PM
Black
rgG

Suffer.

Date: February 03, 2015 12:46PM
billb
Never came across a squat toilet in Italy, but plenty that cost 1/2 Euro quite commonly after you used it.

You must have heeded my church/museum rule then. grinning smiley
Try just about any little street corner bar in Florence and I am sure you can still find one.

Date: February 03, 2015 01:28PM
rgG
billb

You must have heeded my church/museum rule then. grinning smiley
Try just about any little street corner bar in Florence and I am sure you can still find one.

I often travel with non-clergy church administrators who while they are examining teaching styles, I'm off photographing stained glass and art.

Paying for a table to sit at is quite common many places and I've never seen it here. 5 or 10 euro for the table and it often includes a bottle of water, glasses and ice and cheese and crackers. Maybe a small soda, A glass of wine is almost always an up charge as would be anything else on the menu for the time of day.
I rarely drink beer or a mixed drink so you'll find me at a restaurant for a local wine to chat up about and I'm always on the lookout for a decent canoli or tiramasu. Not the crap you usually find here nor even there.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 01:33PM by billb.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 03, 2015 02:20PM
rgG
And, speaking of toilets, many places in Europe still have the "standing only" toilets, aka, a hole in the floor.

They're actually called squat toilets and extremely common around the world.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 03, 2015 02:21PM
Black

You spend a lifetime using those squat toilets and you won't have any.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 03, 2015 03:38PM
"Do you agree?"

Reading the posts, the bit felt like click bait.

As it turned out, it was a bad bit and click bait.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 03, 2015 04:27PM
Black
rgG

They use a regular toilet.

They know how to replace hips and knees over there too.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: February 03, 2015 05:11PM
IronMac
Black

You spend a lifetime using those squat toilets and you won't have any.
You're very lucky you are able to maintain that perception.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 04, 2015 07:39AM
IronMac
They're actually called squat toilets and extremely common around the world.

Squatty Potty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020