Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Calling All Hackintosh Guru's!!
Posted by: prof
Date: February 13, 2015 08:44PM
Hi Guys,
I know this isn't a Hackintosh forum but there seem to be some folks quite knowledgable in the ways of "The Hack" here, so I'm taking a shot, hoping for some advice on my FrankenHack issue.
As an experiment I decided to try to cobble together a Hackintosh using some leftover PC parts.
I used a 2500k processor and a ECS motherboard. Now, no one in their right mind would choose a
ECS mobo for a Hackintosh. But it's all I had and since my state of my mind has long been in question anyway, I decided to give it a try. Of course there's no dst for this obscure mobo, but after installing 10.8.5 using Multibeast without a dst, it surprisingly seems to work. I've got sound, ethernet, and even sleep working fine.
From my win 7 boot disk, I managed to overclock this puppy to a stable 4.65 ghz, so I was pretty pleased. The only hiccup I'm experiencing is that when running the Geekbench 3 (64 bit) test on 10.8.5, my scores are abysmally low: 4400 for multicore and 1544 for single core. So I went into the poor excuse for a BIOS that this mobo has and turned off EIST and Speedstep. Then I rebooted and ran Geekbench 3 again. This time the scores were more where they should be: 12877 multicore and 3918 single.
The interesting thing is that even with EIST and Speedstep turned on, Geekbench's System Information correctly reported my 4.65 overclock even though it returned the original poor scores. Also when running the first GB3 tests, HWMonitor was reporting my processor speed as constant 1.57 ghz at idle and even while under full load using prime95. After I switched off EIST and Speedstep, HWMonitor displayed my processor fluctuating wildly anywhere between 1.57 and 3.7 at idle and at the correct 4.65 overclock under full load running prime95.
So my question is this: do I have to leave EIST and Speedstep disabled in order to utilize my processor's full power or are those 2 settings just something that benefits Geekbench scores?? I'd prefer to leave them both on for the power savings and the lower temps on the CPU. But not if it cuts my processor strength by more than half. Are there some Multibeast settings that I need to correct this?? Any thoughts on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
prof
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Calling All Hackintosh Guru's!!
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 13, 2015 09:59PM
There may be some hardware monitoring things you can install with Multibeast. Really though, you're probably better off doing some manual testing. For example, try running some Photoshop speed tests (I guess I assume you have PS.) That way you can see if the speed differences are real or not.

Try hooking up a kill-a-watt to it as well, and monitor the power usage to get an idea what's going on. That will tell you just how you're doing as far as power usage.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Re: Calling All Hackintosh Guru's!!
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 15, 2015 11:10PM
Um... no idea on this one. It's a mystery!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020