Apple offers repair program for 2011-13 MBP video issue
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: February 19, 2015 05:07PM
[www.apple.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple offers repair program for 2011-13 MBP video issue
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 19, 2015 05:12PM
Must be the lawsuit has had it's intended effect.
[www.macrumors.com]
Posted by: bruceko
Date: February 19, 2015 05:59PM
My 17" is in that group. hope the solution is better than just swapping the logic board for the exact same board without solving the video chip over heating
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 19, 2015 06:03PM
bruceko
My 17" is in that group. hope the solution is better than just swapping the logic board for the exact same board without solving the video chip over heating

Good luck with that.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 19, 2015 06:09PM
mine is "MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)" and it should be eligible. So far I have not had any issues. I will wait a while to see what the repair program does, if it replaces the board with an improved design. Icing on the cake would be if they put in a 2012 motherboard with USB3 ports. LOL.
Date: February 19, 2015 06:11PM
Catzilla
[www.apple.com]

Catzilla, thanks.

I have one with the video issue (early 2011) but it has a ding in one corner and Apple wants to replace the case along with the video card. $1200+ for the lower case replacement. Apple won't replace just the board. I have two others that would be covered but they are not exhibiting any issues and, anyway, they both are still under AppleCare.

Posted by: GGD
Date: February 19, 2015 06:19PM
Speedy
Catzilla
[www.apple.com]

Catzilla, thanks.

I have one with the video issue (early 2011) but it has a ding in one corner and Apple wants to replace the case along with the video card. $1200+ for the lower case replacement. Apple won't replace just the board. I have two others that would be covered but they are not exhibiting any issues and, anyway, they both are still under AppleCare.

I would try again under this program, is the ding so bad that the logic board can't be removed or reinstalled? Does is physically prevent the repair?

This is what Apple says:

Note: If your MacBook Pro has any damage, which prevents the repair, such as a cracked screen, that issue will need to be resolved during service. You will be notified about any additional repair charges that are required.

As recall you live quite a distance from the store, so you should try the mail-in service.
Date: February 19, 2015 06:33PM
GGD, thanks, I carefully read the bulletin. No, the damage, in my opinion, would not prohibit changing the board. But it isn't just a scratch and scuff either. It was dropped is my guess (by my college-age son.) The Apple Store genius thought otherwise about the damage and the need to fix it first. I will have to run it by my son and have him follow-up because he is very close to an Apple Store. It was his high school graduation gift and we just gave him an early college graduation gift of a new MBP so he now has two. The 2011 is/was still functional but unreliably so, shutting down once or twice a week and has video issues. I have not seen it do either (I have it) but I am not using it like he was.

GGD
Speedy
Catzilla
[www.apple.com]

Catzilla, thanks.

I would try again under this program, is the ding so bad that the logic board can't be removed or reinstalled? Does is physically prevent the repair?

This is what Apple says:

Note: If your MacBook Pro has any damage, which prevents the repair, such as a cracked screen, that issue will need to be resolved during service. You will be notified about any additional repair charges that are required.

As recall you live quite a distance from the store, so you should try the mail-in service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 06:33PM by Speedy.
Date: February 19, 2015 06:50PM
Speedy
GGD, thanks, I carefully read the bulletin. No, the damage, in my opinion, would not prohibit changing the board. But it isn't just a scratch and scuff either. It was dropped is my guess (by my college-age son.) The Apple Store genius thought otherwise about the damage and the need to fix it first. I will have to run it by my son and have him follow-up because he is very close to an Apple Store. It was his high school graduation gift and we just gave him an early college graduation gift of a new MBP so he now has two. The 2011 is/was still functional but unreliably so, shutting down once or twice a week and has video issues. I have not seen it do either (I have it) but I am not using it like he was.

As long as it doesn't have liquid damage, I think you might have better luck with the mail-in depot service, all they do is repairs, and have no incentive to sell you a new computer. The typical repair procedure that they do is to fully restore everything to working condition, and I've had them do that without asking for two computer that I sent in for extended repair programs (GPUs) in the past.

A G3 iBook that had an optical drive that wouldn't eject was replaced when it was sent in for the famous G3 Video chip repair.

A 15" MBP 2007 had it's keyboard and top case replaced when I sent it in for the Nvidia repair. All that was really wrong with the keyboard was that the paint was worn off some keys.

In both these cases, I didn't ask for anything but the logic board to be replaced, and I was not contacted at all about the other issues, the parts were just noted on the final no-charge paperwork.

And remember, these are out of warranty anyway, it's just a repair program now, the warranty terms and conditions no longer apply. If they say it was dropped and that voids the warranty, just say what warranty, this isn't a warranty claim, please perform the GPU repair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 06:58PM by GGD.
Date: February 19, 2015 07:09PM
Point noted on the depot repair! Interesting that they did all those repairs gratis on your machines.

GGD
Speedy

As long as it doesn't have liquid damage, I think you might have better luck with the mail-in depot service, all they do is repairs, and have no incentive to sell you a new computer. The typical repair procedure that they do is to fully restore everything to working condition, and I've had them do that without asking for two computer that I sent in for extended repair programs (GPUs) in the past.

A G3 iBook that had an optical drive that wouldn't eject was replaced when it was sent in for the famous G3 Video chip repair.

A 15" MBP 2007 had it's keyboard and top case replaced when I sent it in for the Nvidia repair. All that was really wrong with the keyboard was that the paint was worn off some keys.

In both these cases, I didn't ask for anything but the logic board to be replaced, and I was not contacted at all about the other issues, the parts were just noted on the final no-charge paperwork.

And remember, these are out of warranty anyway, it's just a repair program now, the warranty terms and conditions no longer apply. If they say it was dropped and that voids the warranty, just say what warranty, this isn't a warranty claim, please perform the GPU repair.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 19, 2015 08:30PM
Hmmm... I have a early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" which has gone through two motherboard replacements in nine months. The same glitchy video is a still a problem although not as serious as other people are reporting. Wonder if apple will go for a third? Just two weeks ago, when they did the last one they said that was the last time. Hmm...

pS: as an aside, they replaced my non-oem ssd drive with a 750gb 5400 rpm drive and returned the ssd in an envelope. Said that they had to because otherwise they could not certify the repair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 08:36PM by pqrst.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: February 19, 2015 08:37PM
I have an Early 2011 17" laptop - I'm afraid that since I maxed out the ram and put in a new hard drive that Apple will deem the video fault from the RAM. The tricks they pull...
Date: February 19, 2015 08:39PM
bwicklander
I have an Early 2011 17" laptop - I'm afraid that since I maxed out the ram and put in a new hard drive that Apple will deem the video fault from the RAM. The tricks they pull...

I always keep original RAM for cases like these.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 19, 2015 09:51PM
bwicklander

Im afraid you would be wrong. RAM and drive were DIY. You will qualify.

In *my* experience with the apple store, they have *never* pulled any crap like that.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2015 09:58PM
Thanks. A student will be very happy as his machine has been a mess and Apple has refused to fix it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 20, 2015 12:19AM
not to be confused with the MBP CD and C2D NVidia extended repair issue from 2006-2008 or so. I got a new MoBo, KB, DVD burner, battery and case out of that one.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 20, 2015 06:01AM
The tricks they pull...

I used to see posts all the time about Apple blaming third-party RAM, and I don't doubt that RAM was often at fault.

Not that it doesn't happen still, but I've not seen a single such post in years.

While I think it's a good idea to keep the factory RAM when you upgrade, I wouldn't let memory and HD upgrades stop me from trying to get stop me.

HD and memory are DIY upgrades, and only void a warranty if sloppy or careless installation damaged something. Their mere presence isn't a problem.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 20, 2015 10:19AM
I always keep the factory RAM and Hard Drive and re-install before bringing in for service just to eliminate any finger pointing. I upgrade to 7200 RPM drives before even booting the system for the first time, so the factory drive that I send it in with doesn't even have any accounts setup, it's in the original out of the box state.

My brother had his 2007 MBP fixed for the NVidia problem (Genius Bar, not Depot service), and he had 2 x 2GB of Crucial RAM in it, they gave it back to him with just a single module installed, and the second one in a bag telling him it was bad 3rd party RAM.

Months later he was visiting and wanted me to help him buy another 2GB module to get back to 4GB (he lost the "bad" module). I had an extra sitting around and installed it, and it wasn't recognized, then I swapped slots, and it worked fine in the other slot. I even tried testing both slots with two Apple/Factory 1GB modules. Turns out that the "new" logic board that they installed had a bad RAM slot. Bringing it in with the factory RAM might have eliminated this possibility. Of course if it were me, I would have done the extra testing as soon as I got home and reported it to them immediately, but he came to me about a year later.

In the end I got him to buy an expensive 4GB module to use in the single slot and he was much happier with the performance (I also upgraded him from 10.5 to 10.6 at the same time)
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 20, 2015 12:58PM
I have never had the Apple Store question third party RAM or HD/SSD.
Date: February 20, 2015 02:55PM
sekker
I have never had the Apple Store question third party RAM or HD/SSD.

Me neither but why give them this option?

If I take the machine in for battery issue, or AC adapter issues, or cracked plastic case, then I don't bother to put in original RAM. But if I were to have an issue with the logic board, I would definitely put back the original RAM.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 20, 2015 04:09PM
My June 2012 (original) MBPR is part of it, but I have no issues. Would they give me a 2014 model instead?

Anyway, I can't part with it for a week.
Posted by: what4
Date: February 20, 2015 09:07PM
I got mine in a couple of days before this announcement. It was repaired and returned, mail-in, in 3 days. MBP, early 2011, with video card failure. Second replaced logic board.

I enclosed photos taken of the video problems and described them as:
  • horizontal lines
  • Vertical lines
  • Screen frozen part-way between moving between screens
  • Screen fragmented, with geometiric repetition of the fragments
  • Solid blue screen
  • Spontaneous shutdowns and restarts
I got some relief by using gfxcardstatus and setting the video card to "i" for integrated only. But even that stopped working after about 10 days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 09:12PM by what4.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: February 21, 2015 12:04PM
I have Gfx installed on my 17" mac book pro and i have to keep it on Discrete only to prevent freezes. Mine typically freezes and the screen has 1" squares with lines through each square
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: February 23, 2015 05:06PM
My early 2011 17" Macbook Pro was bricked in November 2014. I had it repaired (nearly a total rebuild) by Apple for the flat rate $310 + tax. I called Apple yesterday and they're refunding the repair costs. I asked what if it fails again, she said that it's covered for three years! If it fails a third time, she said that they would replace it with the new model. I bought this particular MBP because it runs Snow Leopard. I hope it lasts...I'm still not ready to move to Yosemite.

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020