advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any forum experience with prozac for pets?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 21, 2015 09:02PM
i moved in with my fiancee mid december. we both have male cats.....and its not going well. my cat is doing well. her cat has become aggressive and has attacked me on numerous occasions. sometimes i can see him building up to it, other times it comes as a complete surprise. its really heartbreaking. he was very sweet before my cat and i moved in.

over the past two months i've been trying to work through it and find a solution. i've learned how to de-escalate aggression - don't look directly at the cat, sit on the floor, and wait until he chills out and walks away. might sound simple but doing those things with an angry animal is an odd trick. sometimes we can even be good friends. there have been numerous petting sessions on the couch (his happy place). we've tried to figure out what triggers the aggression but he's probably upset with the situation in general and taking it out on me.

we're trying to figure out what to do next. i've read some good things about using prozac. its not something i thought i'd ever consider but there are a lot of success stories. has anyone been down this route?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any forum experience with prozac for pets?
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 21, 2015 09:17PM
I used it on one of my cats who had litter box issues after trying everything else. I think he just wanted to be an only cat rather than one of four. It worked. The problem was dosage. It was impossible for us to get a small enough dosage to alter the behavior without adversely affecting him. We could tell he did not feel like himself and did not like the feeling.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 21, 2015 09:25PM
Have you tried bribing him with wet cat food in the evening when you get home from work?

Nothing makes a cat more affectionate than the expectation of food.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 21, 2015 10:19PM
Get a dog to keep that cat in line.
Date: February 21, 2015 10:22PM
freeradical
Get a dog to keep that cat in line.

your experience with dogs differs from mine.

Onamuji
Have you tried bribing him with wet cat food in the evening when you get home from work?

yes, i've been the food provider for some time now.

Posted by: rgG
Date: February 21, 2015 10:59PM
We had to use a sedative with one of our dogs because of extreme anxiety issues when we had to bring her inside during bad weather. It was amitriptyline. It helped a lot with her, but she was a big dog, so getting the right dose was easier than the tiny doses you sometimes have to give to cats.

I don't know if they use it for cats, but you might check into it.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 11:01PM by rgG.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 21, 2015 11:49PM
[www.bachflower.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

I'd try diazepam before prozac

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 22, 2015 12:29AM
Rather than medicate, why not try behavior modification? It's a myth that cats, unlike dogs, can't be trained:

[bestfriends.org]
[www.merckmanuals.com]
[www.aspca.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: max
Date: February 22, 2015 02:32AM
So far, taking Prozac has not changed my attitude toward cats at all.....
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 22, 2015 05:24AM
So far, taking Prozac has not changed my attitude toward cats at all.....

LOL!

I like cats, though I like dogs more.

The carrot/stick routine might work.

A little cat-food treat of some sort when you see that cat in the morning and in the evening.

If that doesn't work, a squirt gun. If that doesn't work, a Super-Soaker.

Unless of course, her cat is an excellent judge of character.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 22, 2015 05:37AM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 22, 2015 06:15AM
One thing I will say about behavior modification techniques is change your tactics. When the cat behaves improperly you sternly tell the cat no. Stop trying to win over the cat. While it's good to understand and sympathize the cause of the bad behavior you have to establish yourself as the one in charge. Only reward the behavior you want after it has been presented.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 22, 2015 07:42AM
Have you thought about the calming pheromones? Feliway is known to help with aggression; comes in various diffusers and sprays:
[www.amazon.com]

There are also different brands of pheromone collars:
[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Good luck!
Date: February 22, 2015 08:36AM
we've used feliway spray without much result, but we might try a calming collar.

behavior modification is difficult - but maybe i should just go the treats / clicker route. i could be wrong, but i don't think a pissed off cat is going to care if i give it a firm NO. after all, at that point its already decided i'm the enemy.

anyway, drugs certainly aren't out first choice - just an increasingly attractive choice when staring down a difficult problem.

---

yesterday was a very disappointing day. he spent several hours laying next to my fiancee while she read. he was extremely relaxed. about two hours later he attacked me without any warning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 08:40AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 22, 2015 08:43AM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 22, 2015 09:05AM
on the treats / clicker thing - i've given treats to my cat after using the clicker. sometimes he can be too cool to come when called (he's a cat...) but the clicker will send him running even if its been a year since he last heard it.

i'm well aware that cats can be trained, it how to apply that...
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 22, 2015 09:17AM
Poor kitty, and you. Cats often just don't like change at all.
I hope you find something that works, soon.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 22, 2015 09:45AM
I've used Prozac with a cat before. It worked to resolve the problem behavior, but it turned the kitty into a zombiecat. Eventually i discontinued because she just wasn't herself. As i understand it, Prozac can work wonders with some cats with anxiety problems. Probably worth a try.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 22, 2015 10:18AM
Have you given both cats new and separate spaces to hang out?

A couple of covered cat beds sprayed with a little catnip spray might be helpful. Cats need to feel that they have a safe place to retreat from invaders... and both you and your cat are invaders.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 22, 2015 02:29PM
I know it's a serious subject, but maybe some laser pointer work or catnip sandwiches?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 22, 2015 03:17PM
It's not bad. I get it from my dealer "Snuggles"

And he stands by that story...
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 22, 2015 03:38PM
Pam
One thing I will say about behavior modification techniques is change your tactics. When the cat behaves improperly you sternly tell the cat no. Stop trying to win over the cat. While it's good to understand and sympathize the cause of the bad behavior you have to establish yourself as the one in charge. Only reward the behavior you want after it has been presented.

agree smiley

We have dog now, but I've never seen a crit I don't like. Love'em all. Matt, this might take a bit o' time, but don't give up. Has he been spayed?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 22, 2015 04:13PM
I wrestled a long time on giving my special boy Toby kitty downers because he was aggressive, pure alpha male and slightly less than avg size - he got in trouble often. I suspect that he was even challenging a nearby dog - and losing BADLY. Hell, he even challenge ME for the top position on occasion. He was coming home injured WAY too often. I tried to convert him to an indoor cat and that was a miserable experience for both of us.

I talked it over with my EXTREMELY conscientious vet and she eventually suggested a special compound assembled at a nearby vet. I went as far as ordering the first batch (this was NOT going to be cheap), but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. He was aggressive, but also had such a great personality - unique of all the cats I've known, that I couldn't bring myself to alter that personality. The vet and the pharm said that he would be a different, more manageable cat while on the drugs.

I decided to let him be while curtailing his nighttime excursions a bit and that turned out to be the best option. He died of natural causes (genetic defect) just a couple of years later - WAY too young and I'm glad that the last years were the best and that I decided against the use of drugs.

Not terribly applicable to your situation, but I thought the story might be helpful somehow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020