advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
i think i got one over verizon....
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 25, 2015 08:28AM
I had verizon fios for about 8 months. I moved outside of fios territory and could no longer have it. i had a two year agreement which dropped internet from something like $80 to $50. I don't remember where it was specified that i'd have to pay if i terminated my contract early, but i'm certain that it wasn't in the same big bold font used for the reduced prices. When i canceled my service I denied ever agreeing to a cancelation fee. The rep relented and said they'd find my agreement or remove the charge.

A few weeks later i get a bill which includes a termination fee. I talk to a rep via online chat who eventually gets annoyed with my request for the agreement and says i have to pay the fee and ends the conversation. I call and find someone much more helpful who puts in a request to retrieve the agreement. Surprise surprise its never found and I'm getting $100 back.

Its probably much cheaper and easier for them not to store this kind of data and claim it exists and hope people give up.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: i think i got one over verizon....
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 25, 2015 08:36AM
Every thing I've ever seen from Verizon says there's an early termination fee. Even if it's in the small print, it's there. Not sure something has to be in big bold font to be legitmate.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: February 25, 2015 08:58AM
sure, but that's not what he's saying. He's saying they didn't keep any sort of copy of the contract.

I've often wondered about this. Like if you "sign" your contract on a website by checking a box. No signature. Not even a pretend digital signature. What does a big corporation do with that, and in what manner do they retrieve it later
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 25, 2015 09:02AM
Matt,

You got lucky. The moment you entered into the contract with Verizon for FIOS service, you agreed to an early termination fee. Denying you agreed to the fee doesn't negate the fact that you agreed to it. Verizon definitely makes you aware of the fee and wouldn't have provided the service at the contract rate to you without your agreement. Sucks but true.

Fortunately, in your case, Verizon couldn't find the contract and removed the fee. I'll have to remember this in the unlikely event I ever cancel the FIOS service I have at home. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 25, 2015 09:31AM
Bixby
Every thing I've ever seen from Verizon says there's an early termination fee. Even if it's in the small print, it's there. Not sure something has to be in big bold font to be legitmate.

Wouldn't it be nice if the gotcha stuff was in a bigger font than the scammy intro rate.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 25, 2015 09:51AM
No copy of the contract, then no such deal was actually made.
Sucks but true.
Different country and different rules, but some time ago, I saw a history program that touched on property deeds in England. Some law firms archives have deeds dating back to the 13th century - because if they don't keep the original copy, the deed is null and void. If they can keep a vellum deed with the kings wax seal on it for six or seven hundred years, it's not unreasonable to expect Verizon to have an electronic copy they can produce to prove what Matt did, or did not, agree to.

Robert M
Matt,

You got lucky. The moment you entered into the contract with Verizon for FIOS service, you agreed to an early termination fee. Denying you agreed to the fee doesn't negate the fact that you agreed to it. Verizon definitely makes you aware of the fee and wouldn't have provided the service at the contract rate to you without your agreement. Sucks but true.

Fortunately, in your case, Verizon couldn't find the contract and removed the fee. I'll have to remember this in the unlikely event I ever cancel the FIOS service I have at home. smiling smiley

Robert

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 25, 2015 10:09AM
Paul,

I've gone through the contract agreement system used by Verizon nearly a dozen times over the last few years. It's a computerized system. So, I can say with confidence Matt did in fact agree to it.

I'm willing to bet Verizon does have the contract and his agreement to it somewhere but didn't want to bother to continue searching for it. That's why I said he got lucky. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 25, 2015 10:13AM
Yeah but did he get his rental apartment deposit back? smiling smiley
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 25, 2015 10:21AM
Whether they are unwilling or unable to produce a copy makes no difference...
To paraphrase a movie line, it doesn't matter what they know, it only matters what they can prove.
Maybe they did CHOOSE not to.
To-ma-to, To-mah-to...
Verizon knew if Matt chose to press the issue, they would either have to produce a copy, or lose in court anyway.

Robert M
Paul,

I've gone through the contract agreement system used by Verizon nearly a dozen times over the last few years. It's a computerized system. So, I can say with confidence Matt did in fact agree to it.

I'm willing to bet Verizon does have the contract and his agreement to it somewhere but didn't want to bother to continue searching for it. That's why I said he got lucky. smiling smiley

Robert

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 25, 2015 10:29AM
Paul F.
To paraphrase a movie line, it doesn't matter what they know, it only matters what they can prove.

Great movie. I've never understood why it didn't receive more attention than it did.

It is what it is.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 25, 2015 10:31AM
I don't know about Verizon's FIOS agreement, but if it follows the same pattern as their DSL agreements the early termination clause should have an out for moving outside the available service area. That is what is in the 2 year agreement I was under for getting the modem for free and upgrading to 7 mbps service.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 25, 2015 10:35AM

Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 25, 2015 10:57AM
Grrrrr. Long story, but this brings back bad memories of how many years ago, a DSL company screwed me out of a couple hundred dollars. I finally "gave up" trying to fight their malfeasance.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 25, 2015 12:10PM
mattkime
I had verizon fios for about 8 months. I moved outside of fios territory and could no longer have it. i had a two year agreement which dropped internet from something like $80 to $50. I don't remember where it was specified that i'd have to pay if i terminated my contract early, but i'm certain that it wasn't in the same big bold font used for the reduced prices. When i canceled my service I denied ever agreeing to a cancelation fee. The rep relented and said they'd find my agreement or remove the charge.

A few weeks later i get a bill which includes a termination fee. I talk to a rep via online chat who eventually gets annoyed with my request for the agreement and says i have to pay the fee and ends the conversation. I call and find someone much more helpful who puts in a request to retrieve the agreement. Surprise surprise its never found and I'm getting $100 back.

Its probably much cheaper and easier for them not to store this kind of data and claim it exists and hope people give up.

Post again when you've actually got the $100 "in hand."

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 26, 2015 07:57AM
3d

Like that EVER happens?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 26, 2015 08:03AM
3d

I was stunned to find that the old PacBell had turned over a several hundreds of dollars of my 1980s money to the State of California. I eventually got reimbursed the 1980s money in 2014 money.

Not complaining mind you, half is better than nothing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020