Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SiriusXM satellite radio dead spots
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 03, 2015 10:18AM
Hi,

I have SiriusXM and thoroughly enjoy it but was wondering if someone can answer this:

Why do I run into the *exact* same dead spots on my daily commute to/from work?

I can understand the signal dropping out when I drive under an overpass (b/c of loss of line of site to the satellite I'm guessing), but why are there other dead spots with clear, open sky overhead in the exact same places everyday?

These dead spots have *no* overhead obstructions (in fact, they are typically when I'm on the highway with nothing overhead and nothing even in the vicinity).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SiriusXM satellite radio dead spots
Posted by: john dough
Date: March 03, 2015 11:08AM
I have the same problem on one stretch of road I travel frequently. I can't see that there are any obstructions, but it drops out, nonetheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 11:10AM by john dough.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 03, 2015 11:08AM
You are not alone in asking that question:

[www.deadzones.com]

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 03, 2015 11:42AM
Satellite radio signals are provided by satellites that are in geosynchronous orbit, which means their positions never change relative to any given point on the face of the earth. For those of us living in the U.S., the satellites, generally speaking, are in the southwestern skies. Any terrestrial object that blocks a satellite signal coming from the southwest will disrupt satellite radio service.

It is what it is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 03, 2015 01:18PM
bouncing off the black helicopters following you ?
The invisible SHIELD Helicarriers ?
Posted by: rz
Date: March 03, 2015 03:32PM
I've only encountered one persistent dead spot like you mentioned. They were doing road construction on the highway I take to work. It was a dead spot for a couple of years. Then one day it seemed to disappear and I haven't noticed the problem there in a few years.

Occasionally it takes about 30 seconds to obtain a signal when I start up my car at work, but once it gets the signal, it's ok. And I only notice that happening when I start up at work. Not at home or anywhere else.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: March 03, 2015 06:06PM
thanks for the reminder.
I need to do my annual xm cancel so I don't get billed some insane amount for a years service. $204.00 this year. After I cancel i think it ends up being about $90 per year
Date: March 03, 2015 06:12PM
bruceko
I need to do my annual xm cancel so I don't get billed some insane amount for a years service. $204.00 this year.

See, I just don't get that mindset. Compared to what it would cost to launch your own satellites, manufacturer your own receiver, and license -- on your own! -- dozens of channels of music, sports and talk content to have at your fingertips 24/7/365, I think $200/yr is the friggin' bargain of the millenium. Many people pay that much money for one month of cable/satellite TV service.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 06:14PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: March 03, 2015 06:33PM
N-OS X-tasy!
bruceko
I need to do my annual xm cancel so I don't get billed some insane amount for a years service. $204.00 this year.

See, I just don't get that mindset. Compared to what it would cost to launch your own satellites, manufacturer your own receiver, and license -- on your own! -- dozens of channels of music, sports and talk content to have at your fingertips 24/7/365, I think $200/yr is the friggin' bargain of the millenium. Many people pay that much money for one month of cable/satellite TV service.
There are too many other choices.
no bargain to me. I listen to about 7 channels maybe once or twice a month
Date: March 03, 2015 06:46PM
I listen to a dozen or so channels on a regular basis, but I do so every day. I also appreciate having continuous weather and traffic updates available to me.

It is what it is.
Date: March 03, 2015 07:13PM
JoeM, thanks for that link.

And thank you to the others for the replies.

I don't seem to have anything obstructing my drive from the southwest, so I'm still unsure about the dead spots. There are definitely no tall buildings or any tall structures that get obstruct a signal coming down from space.
Date: March 04, 2015 09:32AM
Is your radio built in or a portable car radio with antenna? I've had both and reception with the built in, factory installed systems is much better than the portables with the antenna you wire up and attach yourself.

JoeM
Date: March 04, 2015 10:06AM
JoeM
Is your radio built in or a portable car radio with antenna? I've had both and reception with the built in, factory installed systems is much better than the portables with the antenna you wire up and attach yourself.

It's built in.
Date: March 04, 2015 11:57AM
pinkoos
JoeM

It's built in.

On a long shot you might want to check it's wiring to the antenna.

JoeM
Date: March 04, 2015 12:09PM
That would be a long shot as I don't think messed up wiring would cause the same drops outs in the same areas every day, right?
Date: March 04, 2015 04:33PM
Yes, as I said, I think it's a long shot but I was wondering if it were possible to have the wire placed in a way that would encourage dropouts. It happens in my house and it is consistent. You might want to ask your dealer.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020