advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Officially getting pumped about the Apple Watch
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 06, 2015 01:08PM
When it was first announced it didn't really intrigue me that much.

However, reading up about it the last few months and especially the last couple of weeks has really gotten me interested. Unsure if I'll buy the first round, but I definitely think this will be a great product.

Some "inside" information about unannounced features:

[9to5mac.com]

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Officially getting pumped about the Apple Watch
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 06, 2015 01:47PM
I am also very excited for the Apple Watch and I would like to buy the stainless model. It initially was rumored to be $500-$600 which was ok with me. Unfortunately the most recent rumbles seem to indicate the price will be significantly higher which takes it out of my price range. We won't know till the official announcement of course. I'm very excited to watch the streaming event on monday.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: March 06, 2015 01:48PM
Reading some of the stuff online (including the linked article), I'm very impressed with all the attention to detail (hardware and software) that Apple has paid. I think where every other attempt by another company has failed, Apple will nail it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 06, 2015 02:14PM
pinkoos
Reading some of the stuff online (including the linked article), I'm very impressed with all the attention to detail (hardware and software) that Apple has paid. I think where every other attempt by another company has failed, Apple will nail it.

Failed? Where did you get that from?
Date: March 06, 2015 02:17PM
vision63
pinkoos
Reading some of the stuff online (including the linked article), I'm very impressed with all the attention to detail (hardware and software) that Apple has paid. I think where every other attempt by another company has failed left a lot to be desired, Apple will nail it.

Fixed it just for you.
Date: March 06, 2015 02:26PM
pinkoos
vision63
pinkoos
Reading some of the stuff online (including the linked article), I'm very impressed with all the attention to detail (hardware and software) that Apple has paid. I think where every other attempt by another company has failed left a lot to be desired, Apple will nail it.

Fixed it just for you.

Yeah, that's better. But some of those watches are bomb (LG). Apple's should be nicer for sure. Plus I believe you need to buy and use something. Hopefully they'll make it so that it can bang up against stuff and survive.
Date: March 06, 2015 02:30PM
I think for iPhone users, it will be a no brainer (if you're in the market for a smartwatch).

But, I still think that no other company pays as much attention to detail as Apple does.

Having said that, I have no personal experience with any of the Android Wear watches or Pebble, so am basing my comments on what I've read about those products.

I think the sapphire crystal on the non-base model watches (which will have X-ion glass) will be much tougher to scratch/break then the base model.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 06, 2015 02:47PM
Heres a quote I read over at giz -- bold is mine

The Apple Watch is also rumored to also be available in international markets at launch. After all, Apple ordered 3-5 million watches for the first batch. For comparison, Android Wear timepieces didn't even get close to breaking a million in 2014, so Apple seems convinced they have a hit on their hands.

I just read farther and that number doenst include the Pebble, which sold 1 million since 2013. Apparently thats not considered "android wear"

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 02:49PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 06, 2015 03:00PM
I can't imagine why anyone would be excited about this thing - especially at the starting price, but I'll wait and see how the world reacts before I decide if I want one. But I suspect that like the ipod/iphone, my interest won't even be tickled until the price plummets WAY below the initial offering.
Date: March 06, 2015 03:06PM
hal
I can't imagine why anyone would be excited about this thing - especially at the starting price, but I'll wait and see how the world reacts before I decide if I want one. But I suspect that like the ipod/iphone, my interest won't even be tickled until the price plummets WAY below the initial offering.

That was kinda my feeling when it was first announced.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: March 06, 2015 03:38PM
pinkoos
hal

I get the time from the sun and the myriad of digital clocks distributed around the planet. A "smart watch" just seems silly especially at the prices they will be charging. I think I'll hold out for the Maxwell Smart shoe phone instead.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: decay
Date: March 06, 2015 03:40PM
Maybe if it had a cell phone jammer built in...

---
Posted by: hal
Date: March 06, 2015 03:45PM
pinkoos
hal

There hasn't been any new info from apple since then, what has changed your mind?
Date: March 06, 2015 03:47PM
All the other information from non-Apple sources.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 06, 2015 03:48PM
vision63
Hopefully they'll make it so that it can bang up against stuff and survive.

[howtospendit.ft.com]
"Ive explains how the molecules in Apple gold are closer together*, making it twice as hard as standard gold. And, in case you were wondering, Apple’s cold-forged steel is 40 per cent more durable than regular steel. "

Unlike with the "smartwatches" that have come before—failures all—Apple has taken the time and sweated the details to make what I expect will be a viable and useful product.

* [www.slashgear.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 06, 2015 03:50PM
Jack D.
I get the time from the sun and the myriad of digital clocks distributed around the planet. A "smart watch" just seems silly especially at the prices they will be charging.

I think the Apple Watch does more than tell you the time, Jack…
Date: March 06, 2015 03:53PM
Article Accelerator
vision63
Hopefully they'll make it so that it can bang up against stuff and survive.

[howtospendit.ft.com]
"Ive explains how the molecules in Apple gold are closer together*, making it twice as hard as standard gold. And, in case you were wondering, Apple’s cold-forged steel is 40 per cent more durable than regular steel. "

Unlike with the "smartwatches" that have come before—failures all—Apple has taken the time and sweated the details to make what I expect will be a viable and useful product.

* [www.slashgear.com]

Failure based on what projections? And it's just going to be a smart watch. A cool little doo-dad to have. It's more of an indication that everyone is out of ideas. Much less sweat the details of something as trivial as a smart watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 03:54PM by vision63.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 06, 2015 04:05PM
My enthusiasm is tempered by remembering how excited I was by the HP calculator watch (the HP-01), and how badly I wanted it.

And how much the Casio Calculator watch I bought later on sucked....
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 06, 2015 04:50PM
Wait boys, I know me old haid ain't right, but didn't Tim say at that demo thingamajig that it would start at $349?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 04:50PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 06, 2015 04:57PM
jdc
I just read farther and that number doenst include the Pebble, which sold 1 million since 2013. Apparently thats not considered "android wear"

Of course Pebble isn't Android Wear. While Pebble can and does hook into Android Wear in newer versions of Android, the Pebble is a separate and distinct platform. Which is why it currently works on iOS as well (believe it unofficially works with Blackberry X and Windows Phone as well).
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 06, 2015 05:21PM
pinkoos
Reading some of the stuff online (including the linked article), I'm very impressed with all the attention to detail (hardware and software) that Apple has paid.

OS X development continues to suffer as a consequence.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 06, 2015 06:11PM
Nice post.

As a Pebble kickstarter backer, looks like 2015 will raise the bar for everyone - even Pebble.

I like my first gen product, but it's basically 3 years old. It's showing its age.

The Apple Watch represents one of the first real competitors.

I'm just hoping the Apple Watch is like the Apple TV - by Apple entering the market, the entire segment grew and independent companies like Roku still survived even when Amazon and google took their best shots.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 06, 2015 06:20PM
I guess I'm just not drinking enough of the Kewl-Aid these days... I can't figure out why anyone would want one of these things.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: March 06, 2015 07:33PM
Harbourmaster
I guess I'm just not drinking enough of the Kewl-Aid these days... I can't figure out why anyone would want one of these things.

1) It's a watch that tells time, date, weather and has a built-in pedometer. Can run pedometer apps without a smartphone.

2) Gives you notifications without looking at your smartphone.

3) My Pebble is a great remote for my iPhone for podcasts. Fast forward through commercials, etc.

4) My wife uses the connect/disconnect to prevent her from leaving her iPhone behind, and to find her iPhone.

5) There is a cool Pandora app, too - for those that like internet radio.
Date: March 06, 2015 08:29PM
I can only imagine the battery life. I hope Apple nailed that...

Can't imagine owning one either, I'd feel and look like a total Apple.Fan Boy knucklehead.

D & C
Posted by: Black
Date: March 06, 2015 08:42PM
hal

agree smiley

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 06, 2015 08:43PM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)

Can't imagine owning one either, I'd feel and look like a total Apple.Fan Boy knucklehead.

D & C
I think you plug it into an optional battery pack that you wear on your belt if you plan to go mobile with it?

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 07, 2015 01:38AM
I'd feel and look like a total Apple.Fan Boy knucklehead.

So not only do you hate the idea of you wearing the Watch, you hate the idea of anybody else wearing one.

That's some deep thinking.

I suppose I should be used to hearing people practically brag at their limited grasp. It's a common thread at other forums.

But I have to remind myself that this happens every time Apple brings out something new, and this place ultimately, is no different.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 07, 2015 06:32AM
there's going to be third-party watch band with a battery in it.

Black

D & C
I think you plug it into an optional battery pack that you wear on your belt if you plan to go mobile with it?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 07, 2015 08:15AM
Probably not...though Cringley expects _all_ first gen smart-watches to have cr*ppy battery life.

quote]
Date: March 07, 2015 10:53AM
Bill in NC
Probably not...though Cringley expects _all_ first gen smart-watches to have cr*ppy battery life.

quote]

Not true! I get 5-7 days battery life with my Pebble.
Date: March 07, 2015 08:14PM
anonymouse1
there's going to be third-party watch band with a battery in it.

Black

D & C

I just saw on some sort of mac resource forum that you will need to "pump" the watch periodically to charge it. Not sure what that means exactly.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 08, 2015 09:51AM
I don't know what anyone would want out of those things either, but, I remember in 2007 all I wanted was a iPod Nano with a slide out phone, something like this:

But Apple gave us the next Generation of computing and communication. I wonder if the AppleWatch will do the same.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 08, 2015 11:40AM
Harbourmaster

So far, they've talked about three features that I'd like in a smart watch:

1. Apple Pay - wave your wrist over a CC terminal to make a payment using a secure hash that prevents others from getting your private info.

2. It can act as a wireless shutter remote for the camera on an iPhone and shows a preview of the image so you can take better group-pictures.

3. Make/receive calls. I know it's not going to work well. Wrist-phones suck. But I've wanted Disk Tracy's gizmos since I was a kid.

I want a smart watch with a heart rate monitor. Allegedly, Apple took that feature out because it wasn't accurate, but it's back in the promo materials. If it's accurate, that'll be a 3rd feature I'd use.

There's an uncertain threshold of utility that the watch must meet before it becomes a compelling purchase for me. It has not met that threshold. Maybe after I see how it works "in the wild" something will click.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020