Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting the best price on a new car?
Posted by: RonT
Date: October 17, 2006 03:41PM
Anyone know the name of the company that, for a small fee, provides negotiating
informaton/insight into dealing with a car dealer in order to get the best price
Was it Consumer reports? Or who?

Anybody have a name and/or any recommendations?

thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting the best price on a new car?
Posted by: Frank Pardue
Date: October 17, 2006 04:27PM
That info is normally referred to as Dealer Cost and is available from Consumer reports for a fee, and from Edmunds, see link below, for free. Your local library will also have this info available, as will many banks and credit union.

[www.edmunds.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 17, 2006 04:48PM
Consumer Reports has a service (I think its' about $20~30). I belive the service has been enhanced to provide reports on multiple vehicles for a fixed period (about a month). I think the service is well worth it; especially on the more desireable vehicles that dealers don't want to discount. I used it on my last car purchase. When the dealer tried to BS me that the CR prices weren't correct, I countered that the listed CR prices were what the vehicle manufacturer reported to the government. That always shut the salesmen up! CR also provides advice as to how to shop & negotiate.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: October 17, 2006 05:11PM
Ah Car salespeople. "Trust me. I'm in sales." "Why would I lie? I'm on straight comission."

Da Good Life
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 17, 2006 05:11PM
if you are a member of Costco or AAA you can get a fleet deal

might save $2-3000

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: October 17, 2006 05:30PM
Around here Costco is the magic word - even the dealers who don't participate in the program match the prices - usually $500 over invoice.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 17, 2006 06:35PM
Do you work for a major corporation? Many have purchase programs.

Grateful11
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 17, 2006 10:49PM
We have had good luck with CarsDirect.com. They have beat Costco price by at least a thousand every time. I believe you can get an even better deal by knowing all invoice prices, holdbacks and incentives, and negotiating up from that price rather than down from sticker price.

Keep deals for trades and finance completely separate. i always come prepared with preapproved financing and tell them "no trade" until the car deal is done. Last purchase, the dealer was able to beat my credit union on financing.

Trade ins - well you will always come out ahead if you can sell privately....unlees you have a lemon that has hidden issue you don't want to pass on to an unsuspecting buyer...better to let a dealer have. I once traded a Ford Exploder, very clean but needing about $5K of work. The dealer never even test drove it, just remarked on how clean it was and gave us a great deal. It had a major oil leak and needed a transfer case for a 3rd time. Woo hoo.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: maco
Date: October 17, 2006 11:09PM
When I bought my Tacoma last year, I used the various web sites such as edmunds to gather price info. I also like to look at the "one only @ this price" ads in the papers. I knew exactly which model & package I wanted. I then sent it out for bid to the dealers in my area. Got a great quote from one of the dealers. No problems, no bait & switch, excellent price. Better than "fleet" prices.

The bottom line, knowledge is power.
Posted by: RH
Date: October 18, 2006 12:26AM
www.carbuyingtips.com

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 18, 2006 04:56AM
Another vote for carsdirect.com

you might be able to beat their price but it will require work - I just take the CD price and tell the dealer to beat it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: October 18, 2006 09:21PM
I did something similar to maco when I bought my '02 Buick Rendezvous 5 years ago today!

I found the Dealer Cost or whatever it's called at Edmunds.com, then went to a couple Buick dealers and told them I'd pay them $500 over that price and if they didn't want to do the deal, I'd go somewhere else. One dealer said they couldn't do it, but the other said okay. I would have just left them, too, if they hadn't.

One other thing I did was to arrange to keep the car for a full weekend test drive. I figured if I was going to pay ~$30,000 for something, and potentially keep it for 10 years or so and sit in it just about every single day, I'd better be sure it is what I want. The dealer that let me do the test drive is the one that *wouldn't* do the price I wanted, interestingly enough.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020