advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need some "Mr. Fixit" ideas, please.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 22, 2015 02:37PM
We use the area under our addition as a storage area for snowthrower, mower, patio furniture, etc. Well, aside from getting pretty ratty-looking over the years, I ended up destroying one of the doors out of frustration last month when trying to retrieve the snowthrower. The ice had pooled up and I was unable to open it the more conventional way, so I had to basically rip it off the hinges.

Assuming I can't get my wife to agree to moving down south before next winter, I'm thinking that when the weather warms up, I may want to take the opportunity to come up with a better way of creating doors for the area. Height of the opening is about 5', and there are four 4' doors with hinges. Whatever I build will likely end a few inches above the ground so as to avoid the problem I've had the past couple of years with ice buildup.

Any brilliant ideas come to mind for a simple solution that a not-too-handyman like me could do and that won't be too costly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 02:38PM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need some "Mr. Fixit" ideas, please.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 22, 2015 02:43PM
How about removing the hinges altogether? Create doors that 'hang' in place. You open them by lifting the door and setting it aside until you're done. Not terribly civilized, but it should handle any weather conditions.

Just an shot from the hip...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 22, 2015 02:46PM
Hanging sliding doors, like some barns have would work well.

But I would also say that it looks like all the ground slopes towards that door which isn't really a good thing.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 22, 2015 03:06PM
A heat gun...

I guess there's not enough overhead room for a roll-up door?

As you stated, you could put in shorter doors, but will water and vermin get in? Maybe a pressure treated 2x4 fastened to the floor along the bottom of the door would block access to crwling things, but it makes a step to navigate over when hauling things in and out.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 22, 2015 03:26PM
Is there concrete at the bottom where the doors close or just dirt? You could get roll-up doors (8Wx5H):
[www.rollupdoorsdirect.com]

but it will take away some headroom at the opening... Barn door hardware for hanging/sliding doors would work, but the cost of the hardware is almost the same cost as a garage door...

There appears to be a post in the center; maybe just a small version of a lift-up garage door? Two doors...
[www.apexhardware.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 22, 2015 03:35PM
I'd be thinking roll-up door...
Maybe re-header the top to accomodate a rolls-up-into-a-roll door if the area isn't deep enough.
And yeah, first thing to address is get the ground sloping AWAY from the house, not toward it!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 22, 2015 03:49PM
  1. Take second job to pay for the following:
  2. Install a grated drainage cut in front of the opening.
  3. Install hanging "barn/hangar" doors that have Top & Bottom rollers.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Black
Date: March 22, 2015 04:09PM
Just looks to me like the area in front of it was never shoveled?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 22, 2015 04:21PM
Thanks for the replies. When we bought the house, there were two 8' doors that were so unwieldy and stressfull on the hinges that I cut them each in half to create the four 4' doors. Here's a little more info.

• 16" Pavers up to the door, then just dirt under the actual addition.
• Definitely not enough headroom under to accommodate roll-up door.
• No real concern for vermin getting in. They can get under there so many other ways.
• Yes, there is a steel post in the middle.

My first thought was pretty much hal's idea of a simple hanging type door that I just lift off and put aside when necessary. That may be the most practical. And yes, I'll probably need to address the slope issue.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 22, 2015 04:47PM
Heavy duty canvas set up like a window shade. Basically, a roll up awning mounted vertically.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 22, 2015 07:35PM
I like with C(-)ris's suggestion. Or a shower curtain style steel door. Or side mount roll up style door (rolls to the side.). But I would just fix what you have and don't let the ice buildup.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 07:36PM by Speedy.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 22, 2015 08:13PM
any overhead rolling or similar doors are going to use far too much headroom to be worthwhile. and they're expensive.

I would just reframe that whole thing, and use some heavy duty hinges (three of them) and make the doors larger to give you space.

we have a similar situation, although I never thought to open up the whole area with doors; we have only one. also, i second Black's suggestion to make the entry easier to shovel and/or clear the snow before attempting to open. redirecting the downspout so that water does not ice in that area would help a great deal.
Posted by: BCam
Date: March 22, 2015 08:26PM
As for the drainage problem, you might consider a French Drain across the door opening.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 23, 2015 01:08AM
Put a 4" x 12" pressure treated board across as the threshold. Hinges on the bottom so the marine grade plywood doors swing down. You might need something to counterbalance the weight, either a spring, counterweight, or pressure strut. Also need to anchor the 4" x 12" An awning of some sort to reduce the snow from falling in the area.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 23, 2015 06:26AM
Install the roll up door on the outside and box it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020