advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What sound device do I need.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 22, 2015 02:53PM
I want to take the RCA output from a sonos connect AMP and send it to several speakers (so that I can pipe music throughout the house). What do I need? Thanks

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What sound device do I need.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 22, 2015 04:38PM
Use powered speakers and you can use a simple audio splitter like this.

[www.amazon.com]

If your not using powered speakers, you will need an amp for each speaker around the house.

[www.amazon.com]

I just listed the first items that came up in a search. I do not suggest to know anything about the specific examples I linked to. Also, the two pieces I listed will not give you a way to control the volume in each room. It would only allow volume control at the source and will effect all of the speakers equally
Posted by: bruceko
Date: March 22, 2015 05:40PM
You could use a speaker switch to run a couple of sets of speakers off the Sonos connect Amp but it probably won't have enough power to drive any more.
Best is to get more Sonos connect amps for each zone you want to run.
That is what Sonos was designed to do.
You could also run a series of 70V line matching transformers to the speakers and have a volume control for each speaker
Date: March 22, 2015 05:47PM
These are unpowered speakers. Thus, if I wanted to have separate control over the input of the sound, would I have to buy separate sonos connect units for the sound? I envision 3 zones for the speakers.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 22, 2015 08:11PM
wowzer
These are unpowered speakers. Thus, if I wanted to have separate control over the input of the sound, would I have to buy separate sonos connect units for the sound? I envision 3 zones for the speakers.

The $350 Connect is only the interface. To control and power speakers you also need amplification. Assuming they're a decent match, you could do it all with Connect:Amps for each location.
Date: March 22, 2015 08:19PM
Wow...does this mean that I need 3 Sonos Connect AMPs to be hooked up to the 12 speaker Amp from Mr645's post?

Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 22, 2015 08:38PM
No ... Sonos creates its own network ... The Connect:Amp is a powered interface. Check Sonos' site or contact them. But basically, once your source can send music to one box the others see it too.

The Connect is the box intended to be used with say, an existing stereo receiver. The connect:amp makes an external amp unecessary for each room, when used with traditional passive speakers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020