advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have you ever known anyone that was murdered?
Posted by: john dough
Date: March 24, 2015 11:49AM
Just a few minutes ago I got a call from the assistant of a man that I work with and I found out that he was stabbed to death by his wife this morning. I am a little shaken up as he was always a good client and person to me, but I could not imagine how his family (2 adult children) is taking this news.

Time to count my blessings...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you ever known anyone that was murdered?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 24, 2015 12:00PM
Yes, I had a client also that was murdered. He was the absolute nicest guy ever. He was on a business trip to Florida and stopped to help someone that had a broken down car, or something, and it was a set up for a robbery. They killed him right there. I didn't find out about it till I called his office and I was stunned. Just horrible

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 24, 2015 12:02PM
My wife worked with a teacher who was murdered, and several of her students have been killed.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 24, 2015 12:13PM
someone i grew up with who had and anger problem chose the wrong way to try to smooth over a dispute.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 24, 2015 12:15PM
Sorry for these losses. It is shocking...

My grandfather was murdered when I was in elementary school by his brother in law.

=wr=
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 24, 2015 12:17PM
Gaah. I'm sorry to hear about that. Yes, I had a co-worker who murdered his wife of 30 years and then killed himself. With a Swiss army knife. Rage does strange things to people. They left a severely handicapped daughter behind. Her older sister took her in and cared for her. I... just could not bring myself to go to the funeral.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 24, 2015 12:18PM
When I was 19, a friend's 16 year old brother was knifed. He was a good kid in the wrong place at the wrong time. They never found the killer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 24, 2015 12:22PM
john dough
Just a few minutes ago I got a call from the assistant of a man that I work with and I found out that he was stabbed to death by his wife this morning. I am a little shaken up as he was always a good client and person to me, but I could not imagine how his family (2 adult children) is taking this news.

Time to count my blessings...

Wow. Did you ever meet his wife?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 24, 2015 12:23PM
I wrote an answer to this question, but don't think the detail really helps you. So I'll just say yes, I've known multiple people who were murdered. Counting your blessings is a good place to go at a time like this.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 24, 2015 12:39PM
An otherwise healthy woman who was an assistant to my rep in Seattle was a victim of Multiple sclerosis. She was no longer working. One day there were several police cars racing by my home to an area where I knew she lived. I learned the next day that she and her husband were found dead. It was a murder-suicide. I've always believed it was something they would have both agreed to. She was one of the nicest persons I've known. Very Sad.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: john dough
Date: March 24, 2015 12:44PM
vision63

Yes, as a matter of fact, I spoke with her to set up email just 11 days ago. I met her several times, and she seemed very nice, every time.
Posted by: josntme
Date: March 24, 2015 12:45PM
Yes.

My best friend was shot by one of his subordinates. I was on my way to have coffee with him but was late or would have been there. Of course I wound up making all the funeral arrangements and doing the consoling of the wife and kids.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: March 24, 2015 12:54PM
Yes. A friend was shot dead by someone who wanted her purse. She was in her early '20s.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 24, 2015 01:04PM
Yes, very unfortunately. While in Vietnam (that's another story...), a man who was like a second father to me was robbed at his place of business one night and killed. I worked for him BV (y'all know what that means) and I would have been there that night too if not away. That's just one I've known...

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 24, 2015 01:08PM
Yes. Middle school friend's mom was murdered. Secretary in next building was shot and killed by her estranged husband in a murder/suicide.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 24, 2015 01:12PM
My next door neighbor at a cubicle job was murdered - a copycat, racial hate crime. A really good man in the wrong place at the wrong time. That was the day before 911.
Posted by: max
Date: March 24, 2015 01:18PM
M A V I C
I wrote an answer to this question, but don't think the detail really helps you. So I'll just say yes, I've known multiple people who were murdered.
+1....
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: March 24, 2015 01:45PM
Yes. Always deeply shocking, and I am sorry for your client, and for those many other losses.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 24, 2015 01:48PM
Yup...
A good friends sister.
Abusive marriage, she was trying to get out. He ignored restraining order after restraining order, after "warning" by police and the DA. She kept being told "there's nothing more we can do". The very last time she called the police, because he was driving by her house again, they answered with "oh, it's YOU again", and "you're gonna have to stop calling us about this" (or something like that.)
Two days later he walked in to her place, and beat her to death.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 24, 2015 01:49PM
john dough
vision63

Yes, as a matter of fact, I spoke with her to set up email just 11 days ago. I met her several times, and she seemed very nice, every time.

Tragic. I wonder if she was on antidepressants…
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 24, 2015 02:07PM
This may be the most disquieting topic that I've ever seen on our forum.

rgG's post about someone stopping to render aid is particularly troubling to me. I'm someone who would be "that guy" that stopped to aid.

Gives me chills to think about. That and Craigslist selling seem to have too many bad stories attached to them.

But what are you going to do, stop doing anything that might have a element of danger attached to it? Like flying in an Airbus or driving a car or...

I really hate to say this, but compared to the years when I was growing up and there was no 24/7 television news, the stress/anxiety level seemed far less. Now, there's too much input about all the horrible things that can be reported in order to keep people watching (the commercials ).

I wonder if the world is really so much more dangerous than during the days of the cold war? At that time, tv news was still in the hands of "journalists" and was not seen as entertainment.

That said, I find myself immediately turning on CNN when I get up. Apparently, I'm addicted. sad smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 24, 2015 02:28PM
Yes, unfortunately I know someone who was murdered, and I also know her murderer.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 24, 2015 02:34PM
Wow! I'm amazed that so many here have known someone who's been murdered!

I have not, to my knowledge, have heard of anyone I know ever getting murdered. And I was born and raised in Flint, MI! One of the most deadliest places in the United States!!

One of the prime reasons for me to leave Flint and seek out the north woods of MI. for a fresh start, where crime is virtually unheard of.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: yeoman
Date: March 24, 2015 02:58PM
Racer X
Yes, unfortunately I know someone who was murdered, and I also know her murderer.

ditto
Posted by: TLB
Date: March 24, 2015 02:59PM
On the flip side, I went to lunch with a guy that murdered his family a couple months later.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 24, 2015 03:03PM
Yes.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 24, 2015 03:32PM
My son's fiance was good friends with one of the people on the commercial airliner that was shot down over eastern Ukraine. How random is that?

Three degrees of separation is as close of a connection to murder that I think I ever want.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 24, 2015 03:47PM
Known personally, no. But have known a few that were "friends of a friend". A couple were related to abusive relationships, unfortunately an all to common event.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 24, 2015 03:51PM
It's another six degrees of Kevin Bacon thing... statiscally, probably 85% of MRF'er's have known someone that was murdered.
==
Posted by: DP
Date: March 24, 2015 04:01PM
Rick-o
Wow! I'm amazed that so many here have known someone who's been murdered!

I have not, to my knowledge, have heard of anyone I know ever getting murdered. And I was born and raised in Flint, MI! One of the most deadliest places in the United States!!

One of the prime reasons for me to leave Flint and seek out the north woods of MI. for a fresh start, where crime is virtually unheard of.

I'll be double-damned... Like Rick-o, I was born and raised in a city known for having, at times, the highest per capita murder rate in the nation. Detroit also traded that dubious distinction with Flint a few times.
But, like Rick-o, I don't know anyone who's been murdered.
The interesting thing here is that cities like Detroit and Flint have inordinate amounts of drugs infecting them, compared to the populations. Most of the murders are the result of the pervasive drug lifestyle. Or deathstyle, if you prefer.
We hear also about other murders around here, such as a quarrel that gets out of hand, but an article written a few years ago told that one reason there were so many murders in Detroit was that the people who killed someone also made sure they were dead, such as in a drug related hit.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 24, 2015 04:06PM
No, but uncomfortably close.

When I lived in Jerusalem, the guy who sold me my car insurance was shot by a terrorist. He was merely winged, and shot back with better aim.

Events like this were the reason why I drove a car in Israel and avoided taking the buses.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 24, 2015 04:29PM
A nurse at my workplace was stabbed to death by her mentally ill son. Still hits me hard me when I ancounter her picture which in the meantime has been moved from the ICU to a break room. Otherwise, everyone else I know who was murdered was killed by cars.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 24, 2015 04:50PM
Two people I know were murdered. My old neighbor (while growing up) was murdered during a burglary and a guy I know, who was a junky, was murdered by a junky/dope dealer.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 24, 2015 04:58PM
During junior high, a classmate, his sibling and parent were killed by his sister. He wasn't among my particular circle of friends, but we were in some classes and homeroom together. This question sparked my memory; I see she was up for parole in 2010.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 24, 2015 05:21PM
First: A school secretary from elementary school was killed in her home when I was just out of high school. Case never solved. I don't think there were ever even any leads. No motives. Apparently a break-in gone wrong. Her son was a a year behind me in school, and it was a small school.

Second: Uncle and business partner of a college friend was murdered in his home last fall. Shot in his own bed. College friend was/possibly still is a prime suspect. Haven't heard much about it for a while. I think that case may have also gone cold due to a lack of evidence.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 24, 2015 05:30PM
a friend/teammate/colleague of mine fell sick, they took him to hospital, he had diabetes and Pneumonia, the doctors screed up his diagnostics and gave him wrong medicine and he was dead in 24 hours. I call that murder. The doctor got away with it.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 24, 2015 05:32PM
About a decade ago a woman who I knew well from junior high & high school was murdered by her lover who then saved the state the cost of a trial.

She had left her husband but later reconciled and was shot apparently after she told her lover she was leaving to be with her family.

Even worse, this occurred at a rental house across the street from my aunt's house.

And my youngest cousin was home with her newborn at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 05:33PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 24, 2015 05:42PM
A co-worker was murdered by her boyfriend. Sometime in the early 80s, IIRC. It was a reminder of how little we generally know about the lives of people we see five days a week.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: March 24, 2015 05:53PM
A friend of a friend was beheaded by his girlfriend and her new boyfriend.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: March 24, 2015 07:00PM
One of my best friends in HS went to live in NYC (1960's) and got into the theatre, eventually landing a number of good acting jobs off-Broadway. Someone climbed into his open Greenwich Village apartment through the fire escape to rob him and knifed him to death.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: March 24, 2015 07:03PM
Count me in as well: The son of a girl I was dating was shot six times in the back. I ran the gauntlet of identifying the body, the coronor (for personal belongings),the funeral and finally the trial. Not a lot of fun.

Kid was convicted, I think he got 25 years.

Heck of a country we live in...

D & C

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
11:36 PM - 22 Feb 2015

-Leonard Nimoy
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 24, 2015 07:26PM
Dazed & Confused
Count me in as well: The son of a girl I was dating was shot six times in the back. I ran the gauntlet of identifying the body, the coronor (for personal belongings),the funeral and finally the trial. Not a lot of fun.

Kid was convicted, I think he got 25 years.

Heck of a country we live in...

D & C

only 25 years? life in prison!
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 24, 2015 08:00PM
Fellow two houses down was shot in what was probably a breakin related to drugs. The guys who probably did it (they got off for lack of evidence) either walked across my back yard or in front of the house on their way over there.

Wife and son spend the day at my house while the police investigated the murder scene.

The "street" says that the kid had drug money his friends wanted; step dad was not expected to be home at the time.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 24, 2015 08:34PM
Yes, but nobody I knew really well. I've actually known more people who killed themselves than who were killed by someone else...

Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 24, 2015 08:56PM
Back in the early 80's I knew a guy who was wealthy drug dealer and his wife. When the guy got caught and sent to prison, his wife took over the business. She was found dead by the side of a road, shot in the head a short time later. Worst of all they had two young kids.

I also unfortunately had the misfortune of having to step over the body of a dead drug dealer on my way to my brothers apartment in Jackson Heights, NY around that time but I had no idea who he was.

JoeM
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 24, 2015 09:25PM
Yes, several cabby friends, over the years. One of my friends picked up a couple teenagers at a convenience store, 7pm on a Sunday. They were 14 and 15 years old. They directed him to a concealed location a couple miles away, demanded money, got $38, then shot him in the back of the head. They were tried as adults and last I heard were doing life, although by now I'd guess they were back out, sincve that happened about 20 years ago.

The last one was about 10 years ago. At that point the city made us put in cameras. Haven't had a murder since then.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 24, 2015 09:42PM
bwicklander
A friend of a friend was beheaded by his girlfriend and her new boyfriend.

OK!! ..thread closed!
Posted by: bruceko
Date: March 24, 2015 09:43PM
Yes, friend murdered by a drunk driver.
Posted by: ADent
Date: March 24, 2015 11:58PM
Suicide, cancer (age 23), car accident (passenger, driver was DUI and lived), house fire, heart attack (due to drugs), old age. But can't think of a murder.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 25, 2015 03:26AM
$tevie
Yes, but nobody I knew really well. I've actually known more people who killed themselves than who were killed by someone else...

True for me too.

=wr=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020