Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
hip replacement surgery F/U
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 02, 2015 10:51AM
[forums.macresource.com]

to recap: FIL is 65, had his replacement surgery about 7 weeks ago. from what I learned in the previous thread, it is apparently an easy surgery, i.e. easier than a knee replacement from example. His surgery went very well, no complications whatsoever; he went back to Bucharest about 3 weeks later (5 hour drive form his place, someone else drove him there of course) and the doctor who did the surgery examined him (x-rays again) and said the surgery is good and there is no reason for follow up.

FIL is doing some exercises; he uses a frame/walker around the house, crutches when he goes out, he started driving (manual, he uses the left foot where he had the surgery for clutch). His spirit is very good, but I am still surprised that 7 weeks later he still uses the frame around the house and crutches when he goes out. I wonder if this is normal or if he is just shy to be more active.

perhaps it is also a different culture than in the US. back there, this is considered MAJOR surgery, they kept him in the hospital 1 week before the surgery, doing blood tests, and about 10 days or so after surgery, i think in total he was there for almost 3 weeks. So maybe this explains that they view things differently and take it more slowly when it comes to recovery...

Thanks for your advice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: hip replacement surgery F/U
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 02, 2015 11:05AM
Purely anecdotal, but I've gathered from friends surgeries that the "modern" way of thinking is to get up, get moving, and get your body moving ASAP after surgery.
Coworker with a knee replacement was up and moving 3 days after surgery, gently, of course...
Friend of mine was out walking a mile with me and another friend 4 DAYS after getting a replacement heart valve. This was on the orders of his cardiologist. (of course, he had orders to take it a bit easy, and not stress his sternum while it healed too).

Don't know your FIL's case, or what any other doctor would say in HIS particular case though.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 02, 2015 11:16AM
walker, maybe not. Cane, if needed, probably OK.

I had a total hip joint replacement Dec 6 2013, and I was up hobbling around in a few days. But I am a bit younger. If he had a lot of muscle atrophy because of inactivity caused by hip pain, then if he feels he needs the walker, it should be OK. I had a lot of atrophy because of innactivity. My femur lost an inch in length, and the socket receeded half an inch from obscene wear. This threw my whole skeletal system off, and my muscles, ligaments and tendons in my hip tightened up to hold the worn joint together. Recover took a long while as my frame and soft tissue recovered and normalized again.

The big thing is that he keeps moving, exercising and staying active. It will get better.
Posted by: Black
Date: April 02, 2015 11:28AM
space-time
[forums.macresource.com]

to recap: FIL is 65, had his replacement surgery about 7 weeks ago. from what I learned in the previous thread, it is apparently an easy surgery, i.e. easier than a knee replacement from example. His surgery went very well, no complications whatsoever; he went back to Bucharest about 3 weeks later (5 hour drive form his place, someone else drove him there of course) and the doctor who did the surgery examined him (x-rays again) and said the surgery is good and there is no reason for follow up.

FIL is doing some exercises; he uses a frame/walker around the house, crutches when he goes out, he started driving (manual, he uses the left foot where he had the surgery for clutch). His spirit is very good, but I am still surprised that 7 weeks later he still uses the frame around the house and crutches when he goes out. I wonder if this is normal or if he is just shy to be more active.

perhaps it is also a different culture than in the US. back there, this is considered MAJOR surgery, they kept him in the hospital 1 week before the surgery, doing blood tests, and about 10 days or so after surgery, i think in total he was there for almost 3 weeks. So maybe this explains that they view things differently and take it more slowly when it comes to recovery...

Thanks for your advice.
Something is not making sense here- if he's using crutches it means he's not putting weight on the operated leg? And yet he's depressing the clutch pedal with it?
Weight bearing status is solely the call of the surgeon. Typicallly after hip replacement there would be no restrictions unless the surgeon did not feel good about the fixation; in such a case the surgeon would not tell a patient that no further follow-up is needed. My best guess based on the information presented is that this is just what FIL "feels like" doing- as long as he's active I'd just not worry about it and anticpate that one day he'll just decide he doesn't need the devices anymore.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: April 02, 2015 11:47AM
I had a total hip replacement done this past December (age 55).

They had me on the walker the same day. I moved on to the cane after the first PT session. But, that's me. I'm fairly aggressive about getting moving after surgery.

Crutches make no sense. Part of the healing process is getting the new hip to fuse with the femur. That takes pressure (weight).

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: April 02, 2015 12:22PM
Thanks folks. I am asking for my curiosity, I will not put pressure on him to change his habits, after all I am not his doctor.
Date: April 02, 2015 12:25PM
Something is not making sense here- if he's using crutches it means he's not putting weight on the operated leg? And yet he's depressing the clutch pedal with it?

my guess is that it takes less pressure to do the clutch than full body weight when he walks. But again, I am 6000 miles away and this is what I found out from him via Skype/FaceTime. I am not there so I have not seen him anywhere else except chatting (usually in the evening over there when he is in bed watching TV).
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 02, 2015 12:35PM
My mother-in-law is 90 and had a hip replaced about five years ago. What I found with her is that it is more of a lack of confidence and fear of falling that makes her still use a cane. If she just gets up and forgets to take the cane, she does just fine without it, but she likes to have it for security, which I can understand.

My guess is your FIL will use the walker/crutches less as his confidence improves, I hope.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: kanesa
Date: April 02, 2015 04:44PM
I have bi-lateral hip replacements (both sides). I was relatively young, 48-49. Since no glue was used, I had to be on crutches for 3 months ; I gradually added more and more weight to the affected side. My replacements are 16-17 years old. It all depends on the surgery and the surgeon. I would ask the surgeon what he expects at this point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020