advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for Tivo Roamio owners
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 04, 2015 07:05PM
Curious about how you like the HD interface and its use compared to the old SD interface?

We are long time Tivo users (and love it) but only have a Tivo Series 3 with the old interface. Since Amazon Instant Video (which we use at times) is being phased out for this older hardware, Amazon is offering $100 off a Roamio which brings the price for a Roamio Plus down to $210 which is as good as I've seen.

Very tempted to do it even though our current unit is fine. Mostly curious about the user experience of these new units vs. that of the older series.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for Tivo Roamio owners
Posted by: Frank
Date: April 04, 2015 07:19PM
I have a Series 3 and a Premier. The Premier has the HD interface and I prefer it to the older one. The latest software update enables Amazon Prime on the Premier and Roamio which is very cool.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: April 04, 2015 09:05PM
We have two Premieres which can do either the HD or SD menu. We prefer the SD. Way to much "stuff" on the HD, it feels very cluttered.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Date: April 04, 2015 10:35PM
colonel panic
We have two Premieres which can do either the HD or SD menu. We prefer the SD. Way to much "stuff" on the HD, it feels very cluttered.

This is exactly my concern. I'm so used to the current interface and love how quick and simple it is without a whole lot of extraneous banners/adds/options/menus etc.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: April 05, 2015 02:54AM
The HD interface is definitely a bit cluttered, but you'll get used to it quickly. A good thing is that the Roamio is much more responsive in navigating the menus. I know the premiere has quite a bit of lag when using the HD interface.

Also if you're eligible, you should try for the 10 year $500 lifetime deal which is apparently ongoing but you'll have to call in for it:
[zatznotfunny.com]
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 05, 2015 06:02AM
Note the Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro do NOT work with an antenna.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 05, 2015 07:56AM
i prefer the HD interface.

And as Forrest said, the Plus & Pro are digital cable only.

I use a base Roamio - first OTA, now with a CableCard.

When my cable promo runs out I can easily switch back to OTA.

I added a 3TB drive, so my base Roamio has the maximum storage (same as the Pro).
Date: April 05, 2015 11:42AM
bhaveshp
Also if you're eligible, you should try for the 10 year $500 lifetime deal which is apparently ongoing but you'll have to call in for it:
[zatznotfunny.com]

Wow...hadn't heard of this before! If this deal is on the table for me I think that would be a no brainer. Will give them a call Monday.

I've been with Tivo for 14 years. I activated my first Tivo on 9/10/01 and distinctly remember watching the horrors of 9/11 the following day while learning how the thing worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020