advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
All Things Must Pass ( batteries for power tools, wait no, recommend a drill with a cord )
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 19, 2015 08:12PM
I have a ryobi 18v drill and one of its two batteries just died. After comparing the price of new batteries to the price of a drill THAT PLUGS INTO THE WALL I think I'll go for a new drill with an old fashioned power source.

Home depot is around the corner. Looks like a DeWalt goes for $60. My current project involves some drilling into tile - am i better off with an impact driver?

Whats your take?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All Things Must Pass ( batteries for power tools, wait no, recommend a drill with a cord )
Posted by: John B.
Date: April 19, 2015 08:19PM
A corded hammer drill was my weapon of choice for drilling through concrete/brick. Can't say whether an impact driver would be better or worse.

FWIW, if you have Ryobi NiCad batteries...getting Ryobi Lithium cells will breathe new life into your Ryobi cordless tools. Used to be able to get the "big" 18V Lithium pack with a charger and some tool like a string trimmer or leaf blower for $99...but I think Home Depot has gotten wise to people buying one-off tools to get the batteries and started including the smaller packs with the tools.
Re: All Things Must Pass ( batteries for power tools, wait no, recommend a drill with a cord )
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 19, 2015 09:30PM
Ryobi Ni Cd batteries are notoriously HoRRible. No clue on the quality of their Lithium batteries..you can probably find some real life stories about Ryobi Lithium life with a web search. Ryobi gives you what you pay for.

An impact driver does not stand in for a Hammer Drill

A hammer drill is somewhat more versatile than an impact driver.

You don't need a specialized drill to make holes in tile..you'll need good quality tile bit and a regular smooth driving drill. any sort of impact or hammer action is asking for trouble with tile..stone is different story depending on thickness.

Impact drivers are great for driving a variety of different fasteners and can be used to drill holes as well..

I'd opt for a hammer drill because nowadays you'll get hammer and smooth drive actions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 09:37PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 19, 2015 09:31PM
I own a corded drill - purchased for other reasons awhile ago. Comes with a LONG built-in cord. It's awesome.

My cordless drill gave up the ghost recently, and I see no reason to replace it when I have a REAL TOOL already.
Date: April 19, 2015 09:37PM
sekker
I own a corded drill - purchased for other reasons awhile ago. Comes with a LONG built-in cord. It's awesome.

My cordless drill gave up the ghost recently, and I see no reason to replace it when I have a REAL TOOL already.

There are many excellent cordless drivers and drills..For a consumer, a corded drill is a good option..no battery issues and you can live with having to plug in , extension cords etc. In a trade situation..hmm, battery powered tools are a huge plus for a variety of reasons.

We're at a point where the power and torque is good enough for most stuff and the quality is great if you spend the money. I couldn't live without them and you'd hear the same sentiment from most people who use these as part of their job.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 19, 2015 09:46PM
OK. Got it.

bfd thought this was going to be about drilling for trapped gas…

Not recommended.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 19, 2015 10:04PM
Corded and cordless drills each have their place. For occasional use, it makes sense to have a corded drill. For frequent use, especially when you are moving around a lot or doing work in the field, a cordless drill is a vastly better solution.

An impact driver is primarily for driving screws. It hammers the bit around in a circle so is great for applying a lot of torque in brief spurts to break free or drive difficult fasteners without stripping the head. It is not a substitute for a drill.

A hammer drill both spins the drill bit and hammers towards the bit (as though someone is hammering on the back of the drill as you go), not around in a circle like the impact driver. It is great for drilling through masonry. Most hammer drills operate in both hammer and regular drill mode. They are ideal for most things but are expensive.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 19, 2015 10:25PM
This is why I’ve long suggested cordless tools aren’t wise for many DIYers. That said, take it into a Batteries Plus kind of place and ask them how much to rebuild the battery pack. It’ll be cheaper, maybe a little, maybe a lot. You could even do it yourself; it’ll require a little soldering but nothing fancy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 10:34PM by Mike Johnson.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: April 19, 2015 10:46PM
mattkime
am i better off with an impact driver?

No impact driver; wrong tool for the job. That is for driving screws.

Standard drill or hammer drill. The hammer feature is specifically for cement and similar hard stuff. I've had no problem with a regular drill on several small cement and tile projects. You'll definitely want a bit specifically for tile.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 19, 2015 11:24PM
bfd
OK. Got it.

bfd thought this was going to be about drilling for trapped gas…

Not recommended.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: April 20, 2015 08:17AM
Home Depot? Most Ridgid tools come with a lifetime warranty - including cordless batteries. You just need to register them.

I disagree with Kraniac - Ryobi gives you less than you pay for
Date: April 20, 2015 08:45AM
wolfcry911
Home Depot? Most Ridgid tools come with a lifetime warranty - including cordless batteries. You just need to register them.

I disagree with Kraniac - Ryobi gives you less than you pay for

LOL, yes true. forgive me for not adjusting the old saying to accurately describe these cheap ass products.
I will try to do better in the future.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: April 20, 2015 09:27AM
davester
Corded and cordless drills each have their place. For occasional use, it makes sense to have a corded drill. For frequent use, especially when you are moving around a lot or doing work in the field, a cordless drill is a vastly better solution.

Which is why I still have my (now) antique corded drills. Yeah, they're a pain if you need to use them outdoors with a long extension cord, but these days I'm not doing enough to justify worrying about keeping track of batteries and charging. Wouldn't mind having an impact driver, though, and seems like most these days are cordless.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: April 20, 2015 10:04AM
USB drill might be the ticket!

USB drill
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 20, 2015 10:27AM
considering that i've had the tools nearly ten years i think i've done pretty well. I bought a new set of batteries about halfway through their life but i swear they were much cheaper than they are right now.

anyway, i've made it through the current set of ikea kitchen upgrades without buying a new drill. i'll try to survive on the remaining battery until i can't take it anymore.

Posted by: billb
Date: April 20, 2015 11:47AM
mrlynn
davester

Which is why I still have my (now) antique corded drills. Yeah, they're a pain if you need to use them outdoors with a long extension cord, but these days I'm not doing enough to justify worrying about keeping track of batteries and charging. Wouldn't mind having an impact driver, though, and seems like most these days are cordless.

/Mr Lynn

plus you have a generator to power them with in the field

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020