advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are you emotionally ready to sell that Mac?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 21, 2015 07:44PM
I am planning on selling my 4 core 3ghz Mac Pro 1,1 within the year. My aim is to get a 2013 Mac Pro or 5K iMac. I was recently posed the question, "Are you emotionally ready to sell that Mac?". It stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't think that I am. Dangit!

I am wondering if my tendency to blow my new Mac money on lenses is really a cover for my reluctance to sell my Mac Pro.

Has anyone else ever been in the same boat?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you emotionally ready to sell that Mac?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 21, 2015 07:52PM
Never. I've always upgraded to a better-performing machine -- performance trumps emotional attachment every time.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: April 21, 2015 08:04PM
I just parted with 11 old machines that "I was gonna use someday". OK, I still think about them but the tremmors have stopped...pretty much...

edit: they all went to a good cause, a local Boys & Girls Club.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 08:05PM by Jack D..
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 21, 2015 08:11PM
I spend so much time on my Macs, that it's VERY hard for me to get rid of one if it's been a primary machine.

It can be especially hard when you give up something in an older model for the latest and greatest.

But it's not impossible to do so!
Posted by: hal
Date: April 21, 2015 08:19PM
Letting go is easy for me. And it just occurred to me that the idea of "my computer" is becoming less about hardware and more about software. The hardware is just what I use to get to 'my computer'.

These days, I'm far more likely to hang on to my software for too long, less likely my hardware. SL had to ripped from my cold dead hands.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: April 21, 2015 08:25PM
Well, lets just see...

My current 17" i5 MBP replaced a 15" C2D MBP which I still have and is in use,
That machine replaced a 14" G4 iBook which I still have and is in use,
That machine was an Apple replacement for a failed 14" G3 iBook which was a replacement 14" G3 333 Lombard, which I still have and until a couple months ago, was still in use. It was retired finally by a 15" G4 iLamp.

That does not include the rest of the family's laptops. Until I picked up the iLamp we were desktops-less for years. A PM 6500 to the original 233 G3 and later a 1.25 G4 eMac. My sister's kids still use the eMac and a couple 12" G4 iBooks that were my kids' machines at one point.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 21, 2015 08:54PM
I only have one computer that is mostly for my use, an i3 Intel NUC with Thunderbolt. My partner has a MacBook. My mom's household has two users with two of my older MacBooks (I have to maintain those systems so I count them). We've recycled or sold off all the older systems (well, order systems not being used, not the old systems we actually use). I think they are all gone anyway.

However, I do have a bajillion Nooks and phones in use at this point in time. Once upon a time, I was much more sentimental about these computing devices. Now I have a family (so not just me to clutter everything with junk) and I simply don't care that much anymore.

Either keep it and use it or if you need something faster, smaller or whatever, then you upgrade. No real reason to be emotionally attached. They are just tools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 08:57PM by silvarios.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 21, 2015 09:03PM
Emotions are OK, its the price vs performance thats hurting me. =)

Ive got a 27" 2010 i7 iMac, but would only replace it with at least a 2015 27" i7 iMac.

mac2sell says its worth $1480, (2.93 i7, 24 GB ram, 1 GB 5750, SSD + HDD) but I don't think I could get more than $1200? Or less? Seems like a lot of $$ for a 5 year old iMac. And ebay? Costs a lot? Or local CL? Sketchy?

And the new iMac with the specs I want is gonna cost $2500 with tax/ram.

So the $1000 outlay is a bit much for me to swallow at the moment. Id rather have one of those LG 3440 X 1440 wide screens for $750. =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 21, 2015 10:53PM
Only for some of my old favorites from days long gone, like my old IIci, SE30, Smurf G3, and MDD G4. Now those were machines! A 1,1, those were such good machines in they're day, I'm already attached to mine, though I've had it less than a year. Now the more modern i5 iMac that's the main family computer is a fine machine, but it's got no soul like the others

Posted by: Acer
Date: April 21, 2015 11:00PM
I still feel strong nostalgia when I think of some Macs past, in particular my first Mac Classic II, and little 2400c that was my first wireless laptop. But that pokey 6100 that I paid way too much for I do not miss.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: April 21, 2015 11:03PM
pRICE cUBE
I am wondering if my tendency to blow my new Mac money on lenses is really a cover for my reluctance to sell my Mac Pro.

Has anyone else ever been in the same boat?

Dunno. Maybe my IIc, my SE, my LC, my Sawtooth G4, my MDD or my Titanium PowerBook could answer that question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 11:04PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: April 22, 2015 03:51AM
I have a Late 2013 Mac Pro but I still miss my SE 30.
Posted by: msglee
Date: April 22, 2015 07:01AM
I have a G3, 300 MHz desktop that I can't seem to part with. I have no use for this computer and Mac2sell says it's worth $0. It was such a great computer, easy to get into and make changes.
I won't mention the G3 iMac and the eMac.

My name is Lee and I'm a Mac addict.
Date: April 22, 2015 07:01AM
Acer
I still feel strong nostalgia when I think of some Macs past, in particular my first Mac Classic II, and little 2400c that was my first wireless laptop. But that pokey 6100 that I paid way too much for I do not miss.

The 2400c was one of the best and most underrated Apple laptops. A ThinkPad in Apple skin, fantastic!

I have a soft spot for the 6100 because it was my first PowerPC Mac. It could hold an okay amount of memory for the time, 128 plus the built in 8MB wasn't hard to find. Later OSes that took better advantage of PowerPC instructions likely ran better than earlier 68k infused OSes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 07:02AM by silvarios.
Date: April 22, 2015 07:05AM
msglee
I have a G3, 300 MHz desktop that I can't seem to part with. I have no use for this computer and Mac2sell says it's worth $0. It was such a great computer, easy to get into and make changes

I still feel the Beige G3 systems were the most underrated Macs of the last twenty years. I hated the Smurfs. Even the allegedly Rev 2 model I owned corrupted the drive on a regular basis. Same drive connected to a PCI PATA or SATA card (with adapter on the latter) worked fine. Since I had to add a PCI drive controller anyway, I'd rather stick with the Beige.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 22, 2015 09:23AM
My main squeeze is a 2.3 GHz G5 tower running Leopard. Even though we have four i7 quad cores around the house.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 22, 2015 09:35AM
I can't even get it together to get old Macs to e-recycling events. Some of them need to go. Just not my loaded 9600 or my MDD. The Sawtooth could go, and the curbside indigo iMac.

I should list some of the innards of these guys in the For Sale section. The Sawtooth has a decent graphics card and a gig ethernet card in it.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 22, 2015 01:52PM
My Old Macs have all been e-cycled in the past 2 years. I'm done being attached to old Macs and the oldest which is approaching 9 is still being used (Blackbook).

Tossed ones include:

A complete set of Power Computing PCI clones, one of each range.
And a complete set of PowerSurge Macs, one or 2 of each range.
And a boatload of other Macs and clones including about 6 toasters (mostly SE/30s) and my first computer, a IIgs.

It was awesome to get that crud out of the garage and make way for an actual spot to park the car in. Unfortunately more crud came out of the house and took the car's place. The house is cleaner, though…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 01:53PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: April 22, 2015 04:32PM
Lew Zealand
It was awesome to get that crud out of the garage and make way for an actual spot to park the car in. Unfortunately more crud came out of the house and took the car's place. The house is cleaner, though…

Yeah, that's how is always works.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 22, 2015 06:20PM
I have no emotional attachments to my computers. I've had computers I really liked... My G4 Sawtooth being one. I got it used at an auction of Haxan Films... the folks who did "The Blair Witch Project". Not sure if it was ever used in the production of the film, but I always liked telling people where it came from. I loved how easy it was to open it up to tinker with it. But when the time came to upgrade, I had no qualms about selling it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020