advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suggestions for battery-powered MTN bike-style headlight?
Posted by: chopper
Date: April 29, 2015 12:51PM
I'm looking around for a larger LED-style clip on or bolt on headlight (and tail light) used for a MTN or street bike. It doesn't need to have a long use life, like an hour, but I'd like it to be bright.

Ideally, the light would have some kind of rechargeable li-ion (?) battery pack I could zip tie to the bike and re-charge when not in use.

It's a long story but I am actually going to use this on a motorcycle which I am just going to ride from my house to my office (six blocks). As said, also looking for a tail light and or brake light solution.

Most of the motorcycle specific lights I can find are really more of a permanent solution and suited to riding much longer distances and can't be removed easily.

I know there are a great many bicycle enthusiasts here and thought I'd try this first.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suggestions for battery-powered MTN bike-style headlight?
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 29, 2015 01:17PM
How about a simple flashlight?

[www.foursevens.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: April 29, 2015 01:37PM
I have cygolight lights on my bike, and have been very happy. Great customer service as well - have had some spills where parts came off, and they sent me free replacements.

Cygolight
Posted by: davester
Date: April 29, 2015 01:46PM
I have a Niterider Lumina 700. 700 lumens, baby!! It also has a lithium battery and charges via USB. The current model is the 750. They also have cheaper ones that are slightly less bright. Frankly, the cheaper ones are probably just fine since I usually run mine on it's low or medium brightness setting (i.e. 200 or 350 lumens) to conserve battery power. When switched to 700 it lights up the whole road far far ahead. It's also available as a combo with a very nice rear light for not much more.
[www.niterider.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 01:50PM by davester.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 29, 2015 02:12PM
If it is going on a motorcycle it has to be DOT approved. Don't be one of those people with non approved aftermarket crap that isn't safe and blinds people.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: davester
Date: April 29, 2015 02:34PM
C(-)ris is right. Also, why on earth would you take a motorcycle to travel 6 blocks?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 29, 2015 02:49PM
C(-)ris
If it is going on a motorcycle it has to be DOT approved. Don't be one of those people with non approved aftermarket crap that isn't safe and blinds people.

agree smiley

Improper lights / equipment is not likely to come to authorities attention until something goes wrong but, when feces occurs, you could be seriously hung out to dry.
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 29, 2015 03:30PM
6 blocks? Even I would just walk!

With 1000 lumens in my hand if I have to.
Posted by: Bosco
Date: April 29, 2015 03:40PM
What Davester said.

I use two of the Niterider Lumina 650 lights. One on my helmet, the other on my handlebars. They work great and are highly recommended. Great for mountain biking at night.

I also use a small red tail light.

-
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 29, 2015 03:56PM
i have one of these i've been looking to give away - [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: chopper
Date: April 29, 2015 09:17PM
<<6 blocks? Even I would just walk! >>

I knew, going in, it would not take long for the judging to begin around here.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 29, 2015 11:44PM
Don't know how you'll get a bike light to function as a tail light on a moto, but the headlight solution could involve mounting two lights to the mirrors or the forks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020