advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Order to watch Star Wars movies?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: April 30, 2015 01:17PM
My kids (boys 8 and 10) have seen bits and pieces of the Star Wars movies over the years, maybe even one or two all the way through.

Anyway, now that they're older and able to understand more, I thought about having a Star Wars marathon with them before the new movie comes out in December.

I'm wondering if I should have them watch the "episodes" in order (ie, 1 through 6) or in the order the movies came out (ie, 4 through 6, then 1 through 3)?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Order to watch Star Wars movies?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 30, 2015 01:24PM
Get lots of caffeinated sugary soda and lots of candy and popcorn. It'll be a blast. Have adult backup.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 30, 2015 01:39PM
Personally I would do 4-6, then 1-3. And I'm not sure I could sit through or enjoy a marathon of that nature at 8 or 10. Maybe 1 a day for a week?
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: April 30, 2015 01:42PM
4-6, 1-3
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 30, 2015 01:43PM
4-6.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 30, 2015 01:45PM
4-6... 1-3 are optional.

Oh, and I have to add; Han Shot First!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 30, 2015 01:48PM
4-6. Then 7. It's sort of like watching 'The Matrix'. There is only one....

Admittedly #1 is fun for the younger set, because little Anakin is a smart kid like them. Once he becomes a wooden angsty Canadian teenager, he stinks. And how Padme goes from a kick-butt adult princess to a whiny angsty teenager in that time is beyond me...
Posted by: Black
Date: April 30, 2015 01:56PM
Sure, no problem.
I order you to watch Star Wars movies.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 30, 2015 01:57PM
Don't forget about the animated Clone Wars -- either the movie or the series -- if they are really into it can help fill in gaps between.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 30, 2015 02:01PM
mikebw
Personally I would do 4-6, then 1-3. And I'm not sure I could sit through or enjoy a marathon of that nature at 8 or 10. Maybe 1 a day for a week?

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear - was thinking more like one per month leading up to December.
Date: April 30, 2015 02:02PM
Black
Sure, no problem.
I order you to watch Star Wars movies.

Aye, aye, cap'n! Oh wait, wrong space-related movie.
Date: April 30, 2015 02:03PM
I didn't even really think about skipping 1-3 all together, but it makes sense. I don't even think I understood what was going on in those movies.

And, I don't think I can sit through Jar Jar more than I already had to!
Date: April 30, 2015 02:10PM
pinkoos
I didn't even really think about skipping 1-3 all together, but it makes sense. I don't even think I understood what was going on in those movies.

Federation trade treaties!

It's too early to say for sure, but I get the sense one would not need to know what transpired in 1-3 to enjoy the upcoming film.

It is what it is.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 30, 2015 02:10PM
Paul F.
4-6... 1-3 are optional.

Oh, and I have to add; Han Shot First!

Technically no. Saying Han shot first implies Greedo shot at all.

Posted by: davester
Date: April 30, 2015 02:38PM
4-6 then forget about the disappointment that is 1-3. You'll be happier for this omission.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: MEG
Date: April 30, 2015 03:57PM
Surprised no one mentioned it yet - Machete Order

Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Ep 1, Ep 2, Ep 3, Return of the Jedi.

This way you keep the surprise of Empire Strikes Back and because of the shenanigans of the special editions that are the current versions of the movies, the end of Jedi won't feature characters that haven't been introduced yet.

[www.nomachetejuggling.com]

PS - sorry, "machete" order is technically skipping Ep 1 (the steaming pile of dung that it is). The blog post covers the reasoning and hard to argue with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 04:04PM by MEG.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 30, 2015 05:16PM
Machete Order - IV, V, II, III, VI

I is skipped, but can be viewed separately, if desired, as a "here's another film in this universe."

But I think the author is alluding to using the original Star Wars versions, before Lucas started tinkering with them, to view the series in Machete order.
Date: April 30, 2015 05:18PM
That machete order is awesome. Had never heard of that.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 30, 2015 05:45PM
Recently watched Clones again. I think it's one of the finest sci-fi movies ever made. You may hate Anakin and Amidala personally, but you are supposed to, one is a murderous psychopath and the other aimless and power-corrupted. It's an important step in learning that "Those Skywalkers are nothing but trouble." Remember, 'Little Ani' will later destroy an entire planet with billions of people without a second thought. Clones has the additional benefit of seeing Palpatine not only having sniffed out Anakin as a twisted murderer years before-hand, but also uses the repulsive Jar-Jar Binks to introduce the resolution giving him 'emergency powers' over the Republic. It also shows Obi-Wan as a screwup who can't even detect that his student is a total psycho. The effects are great, the slob diner owner is better and the little touches are fantastic.
The first of the prequels is a joke and the last is just wrong (though interesting CGI work in parts). I thought "Return of the Jedi" was boring. I mean, the big secret is they are building ANOTHER Death Star...give me a break, George.

Natalie's cute little tummy is hot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 06:09PM by Steve G..
Date: April 30, 2015 06:09PM
Oh, good grief...

Steve G.
Recently watched Clones again. i think it's one of the finest sci-fi movies ever made. You may hate Anakin and Amidala personally, but you are supposed to, one is a murderous psychopath and the other aimless and power-corrupted.

Amidala? Power-corrupted? Really?

Steve G.
Remember, 'Little Ani' will later destroy an entire planet with billions of people without a second thought.

Actually, that was Grand Moff Tarkin, not Vader.

Steve G.
Clones has the additional benefit of seeing Palpatine not only having sniffed out corrupted Anakin

Fixed.

Steve G.
It also shows Obi-Wan as a screwup who can't even detect that his student is a total psycho.

OK, you have a point here.

Steve G.
the slob diner owner

Huh?

Steve G.
I thought "Return of the Jedi" was boring.

Can you say "non-sequitor?" I knew you could!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 30, 2015 06:34PM
1) Amidala thought that just because she was a senator anything she thought was right. We've got plenty of those power-touched in our Congress. recognize anyone?

2) There is something fundamentally wrong with Anakin. Palpatine's just helping him along.

3) I didn't notice any excessive hand-wringing on Vader's part when Peter Cushing gave the order. In fact, he was the Emperor's number one henchman and was overseeing the entire project.

4) I hear that Dex is now running a Popeye's franchise in Texas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 06:35PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 30, 2015 06:53PM
Gotta squeeze Fanboys in there somewhere!

Trailer: [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 30, 2015 07:13PM
The problem with Padme is that she was a self-obsessed little snot. Otherwise she wouldn't have left the nice lady who GAVE THEM HER SON languishing in slavery back on Tatooine. If Padme weren't a self-obsessed little snot, the first thing she would have done after getting her throne back would be to send a cruiser full of gold-pressed latinum (or whatever) out to buy Shmi from Watto, then set up her future mother-in-law in a nice little cottage in the Lake District.

But nooooo, she was a self-obsessed little snot who never gave Shmi another thought, and thus Padme and the galaxy got Darth Vader. Stupid, self-obsessed little snot...

(Yes, I know the real problem is that George Lucas can't write. But you'd think SOMEBODY would have pointed out that massive, gaping plot hole to him at some point between I and II...)
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 30, 2015 07:59PM
Will Collier
The problem with Padme is that she was a self-obsessed little snot. Otherwise she wouldn't have left the nice lady who GAVE THEM HER SON languishing in slavery back on Tatooine. If Padme weren't a self-obsessed little snot, the first thing she would have done after getting her throne back would be to send a cruiser full of gold-pressed latinum (or whatever) out to buy Shmi from Watto, then set up her future mother-in-law in a nice little cottage in the Lake District.

But nooooo, she was a self-obsessed little snot who never gave Shmi another thought, and thus Padme and the galaxy got Darth Vader. Stupid, self-obsessed little snot...

(Yes, I know the real problem is that George Lucas can't write. But you'd think SOMEBODY would have pointed out that massive, gaping plot hole to him at some point between I and II...)

You aren't alone. I thought it was stupid as well. Why didnt Obi Wan go back for her even. The Jedi aint poor.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 30, 2015 10:12PM
I just went through this discussion with a friend.
1) there are 3 movies. Episodes IV-VI
2) don't ever speak about the prequels. Hide them from your children as long as you can. As movies alone, they are so bad they aren't worth mentioning. As a part of the Star Wars saga they are an abomination. Your children will thank you later when they discover the movies, preferably in college.
3) worst case scenario is that your young children see Episodes I-III and love Jar Jar. Then you're stuck with him for years. Misa no like that.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 10:12PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Buck
Date: May 01, 2015 10:01AM
What a bunch of nonsense. Snobs! This episode is better than that one?
Just watch 123456. We already know they weren't shot in that order, but who cares.
And I love Jar Jar.
Date: May 01, 2015 12:45PM
Buck
This episode is better than that one?

Uh... yes. Absolutely.

It is what it is.
Posted by: chopper
Date: May 01, 2015 02:04PM
Did you walk there?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 01, 2015 02:10PM

Though I didn't have Little Zealand watch them that way. For him it's been 456, we'll see if he ever sees 2 or 3. Luckily 1 doesn't exist.

right?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 01, 2015 02:37PM
My daughter took an interest so we started watching and plan to watch them in order. Who cares. I was 6 when A New Hope came out and cringe watching it now. She's 8 and massively enjoyed the first and second ones even though the wife and I were rolling our eyes the whole time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020