advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is there any Folding bike enthusiast here?
Posted by: kap
Date: May 01, 2015 10:43AM
I have been increasing my mileages with public transportation and bicycling instead of driving. Additionally my current residence is all hills so low gears are good! Below are the two models of folders I am considering:
Tern Verge P20
Dahon Mu P24

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is there any Folding bike enthusiast here?
Posted by: davester
Date: May 01, 2015 11:31AM
My son has recently expressed that he wants to get a folding bike for his upcoming birthday so that he can take it on public transport with him. Therefore, being the resident bike nut I've been looking at folders and would be interested in what you find out. Do you have any good resources that can explain in a nutshell the multitude of different models offered by Dahon? I'm looking at both new and used so it'd be nice if I could figure out where the discontinued models fit in the spectrum too. We also live in very hilly terrain so I think one with a very wide gear range (or at least with low gear inches) would be best.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 01, 2015 12:18PM
i have a friend who's a folding bike connoisseur. he's a fan of brompton.

i'd recommend looking used. used bikes go for a sharp discount. just factor in any necessary fixes.

Posted by: testcase
Date: May 01, 2015 12:25PM
I'll be watching this thread. I'd like to have a quality folding bike I can easily take along in my RV. I weigh 275 so, need a 300 pound capacity (at least until I can pedal enough to get my weight down).
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 01, 2015 12:49PM
Also watching this thread...
Though I have some serious getting in shape to do before getting serious about a bike trip with a folding bike.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: vitus
Date: May 01, 2015 12:59PM
some folks like these

[www.bikefriday.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: May 01, 2015 01:13PM
I was super sad that this effort folded:
[www.kickstarter.com]
A saddle-less folder would be beyond perfect for my needs.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: May 01, 2015 01:36PM
My first folder was a Dahon Mariner D7 (as seen here [www.thorusa.com]). I paid less than half of the selling price because the City of Pasadena offered a substantial discount to anyone who live, work or attending schools in Pasadena. It was an incentive to encourage more biking along with the use of public transportation to be more green. I have always been a bike commuter and bus rider more than a car driver so I jumped at the chance to own a folder. I could either ride or fold it up and take it on the bus or the railway like luggage. The experience got me more involved than I had anticipated. Now I am getting more serious because of the long distant and hilly commutes. There are a plethora of folders of various size, color, style, functionality, capability, etc., to meet your needs. I stay with the one with the longest history and well established Dahon. Terns is the off-shoot of Dahon (family discord). Brompton of England is most popular in Europe just as Dahon is in Asia. Tern is the new kid on the block but its good reputation is spreading. In any event, you want to do some research and test rides on the ones that catch your eyes.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 01, 2015 01:58PM
I have two folding bikes. They're not exactly portable, but they're usable transportation. A few years ago my wife and I went to San Francisco. We put the bikes in the trunk of her Toyota Camry. We parked the car and rode the bikes everywhere. Didn't move the car for a week. It worked very well. Haven't really used them since.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 01, 2015 03:24PM
ztirffritz
I have two folding bikes. They're not exactly portable, but they're usable transportation. A few years ago my wife and I went to San Francisco. We put the bikes in the trunk of her Toyota Camry. We parked the car and rode the bikes everywhere. Didn't move the car for a week. It worked very well. Haven't really used them since.
The old-style folders just sort of folded in half to fit in car trunks. The new ones designed to be useful for multi-modal transportation and carrying into office buildings are a different animal.

Date: May 01, 2015 04:44PM
Agree! Check out the videos:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Check out the bikeforums.net

Black
ztirffritz
The old-style folders just sort of folded in half to fit in car trunks. The new ones designed to be useful for multi-modal transportation and carrying into office buildings are a different animal.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 01, 2015 07:03PM
Arrrrrrg! I tried to restrain myself, but failed:

Are there any folding bike enthusiasts here?

or

Is there a folding bike enthusiast here?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: May 01, 2015 07:20PM
Ammo

or

English as a second language is no excuse bunny smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 01, 2015 10:21PM
kap
Ammo

or

Actually, in my book, it is. I am inspired by people who move to a country and learn a language other than their own. smile smiley

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: May 01, 2015 11:59PM
Ammo

or

How about:
Is there any Folding bike enthusiasm here

Posted by: billb
Date: May 02, 2015 05:11AM
Ammo
kap
Ammo

or

Actually, in my book, it is. I am inspired by people who move to a country and learn a language other than their own. smile smiley

Especially with all the free tips and deals offered to ensure proper use of same.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020