advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Free "collegiate style" font?
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 03, 2015 11:29AM
It's been so long since I've had to deal with font formats and the like that I'm like a newbie here...

I need to typeset a few words in a collegiate style font to be printed on some promotional items. No idea what some common fonts are for this or what format I need.

Any suggestions????

TIA-
DM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Free "collegiate style" font?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: May 03, 2015 11:44AM
Like these?
[www.dafont.com]

Just make sure to read the license to make sure that your commercial use is acceptable.

Date: May 03, 2015 11:53AM
Yes. Like those. The issue is I don't know the usage terminology any longer and don't know which formats to download.

I will be printing these on some promotional items to be used at a private party. Nothing will be resold but I will be giving away the items to my guests.

I have Photoshop and InDesign on my MacBook and these need to be suitable for printing on material other than paper. Is TrueType still the preferred format?

DM
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: May 03, 2015 12:55PM
dmann
Yes. Like those. The issue is I don't know the usage terminology any longer and don't know which formats to download.

You probably won't have much choice. Free fonts are often not available in multiple formats. They're usually just TrueType.

dmann
I will be printing these on some promotional items to be used at a private party. Nothing will be resold but I will be giving away the items to my guests.

If it's a promotional item then it's a commercial use. No big deal, just read the license or "readme" file that comes with the font to confirm that commercial uses are allowed.

dmann
I have Photoshop and InDesign on my MacBook and these need to be suitable for printing on material other than paper. Is TrueType still the preferred format?

TrueType will do just fine. OpenType and postscript fonts may be available (tho postscript fonts are becoming less common). They should work just as well.

You have a font manager called "Font Book" built into your OS. When you find a font that you like, download that font and unzip it and then double-click a font-file to open it in the Font Book app to preview it. If you want to use that font then click the "Install font" button in the preview-window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 12:56PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 03, 2015 01:04PM
Here's the one I liked to use whenever I did invitations, team videos and such for my stepson's football team: [www.dafont.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 03, 2015 02:15PM
Some more "100% free" fonts here:

[tinyurl.com] (dafont.com - the url I posted first came out weird and didn't lead to only the freebies.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 02:17PM by $tevie.
Date: May 03, 2015 11:19PM
Thanks all! Appreciate the guidance!

DM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 61
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020