Date: May 09, 2015 08:41PM
[www.youtube.com]

not a fan of Walmart, but .......

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: truck technology
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 09, 2015 09:39PM
Some of that stuff could have been done years and years ago.

The all carbon fiber trailer is kinda silly, and Im sure cost prohibitive.

Semis get like 5-6 MPG -- even if that could just get to 9-10 MPG -- that would be huge.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 09, 2015 10:27PM
Fritz

Why do you think they did it? The company with the most low wage employees in the US decided to cut greenhouse emissions to reduce global weather change, or just a tiny bit for propaganda?

jdc

I don't think it's _all_ carbon fiber. I doubt they they will adopt it as the default configuration unless it pays for itself in a typical tax deduction time frame.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: max
Date: May 09, 2015 11:33PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Fritz

Why do you think they did it? The company with the most low wage employees in the US decided to cut greenhouse emissions to reduce global weather change, or just a tiny bit for propaganda?

jdc

I don't think it's _all_ carbon fiber. I doubt they they will adopt it as the default configuration unless it pays for itself in a typical tax deduction time frame.
No, cutting edge technology does not get adopted wholesale into the market, but you need to know what the alternatives are and what elements can be affordably adopted.
Walmart spends tremendous amount of money on freight, the smallest fractional increase in transport efficiency can lead to major savings....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 10, 2015 12:19AM
Even a 5% fuel savings ends up being huge after a year, with just one truck.

The issue with technology is getting it approved and being allowed to put it into use, especially in an industry that is massively regulated.
Posted by: Hardly Worthit
Date: May 10, 2015 12:41AM
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 10, 2015 12:47AM
max
Walmart spends tremendous amount of money on freight, the smallest fractional increase in transport efficiency can lead to major savings....

Yeah. thats what I was trying to say. Even if they just did something *simple* to get an extra 1-2 MPG that would be huge for them.

This seems like a waste of time and money on something that will probably *never* happen.

I mean we went from this:

to this in 2015:

In the same time, semis have gone from this:

to this:

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 10, 2015 01:57AM
over the road semi trucks are a tool, not a status symbol or a fashion statement.

The last few years, I have seen some inroads in better styling though. My "brother-in-law" is a truck driver, so we talk about some of this stuff.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 10, 2015 03:47AM
The turbine was a cool idea when fuel was cheap but it came along just as OPEC shut off the tap in the early '70's. it was not efficient. (They even ran a turbine in the Indy 500 but I believe it ran out of allotted fuel.) Everything else is evolutionary. Nothing innovative or special about the aerodynamic truck except for the turbine.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 10, 2015 03:52AM
jdc
max

Yeah. thats what I was trying to say. Even if they just did something *simple* to get an extra 1-2 MPG that would be huge for them.

This seems like a waste of time and money on something that will probably *never* happen.

In the same time, semis have gone from this:

to this:

Go a step further, in the last two years trailer fairing skirts have become a common sight....
Posted by: billb
Date: May 10, 2015 04:12AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Fritz

jdc

Gov't mandate fuel efficiency. That truck is est. at 13+ MPG.
Walmart has 6000 semis running 24/7.

Carbon fiber costs have dropped from about $36/lb to $12/lb in ten years.

It's starting to show up in car parts for weight reduction for the 50+MPG target for autos . It will start showing up in truck parts for weight reduction.
Truck trailers theoretically have a life of 30 years vs 10 for cars.
The impact of shaving weight on an empty trailer is enormous.
Big rigs may represent just 4 to 5 % of the vehicles on the road but they also spew 25% of the emissions and particulates into the air and onto the ground.
The big rig fleet also represents a huge carbon footprint .
and reducing carbon is The Right Thing To Do

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 10, 2015 06:25AM
I;m absolutely sure that walmarts motives are totally altruistic.

@JDC - seriously, I'll take the Chrysler (or whatever it is).

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 10, 2015 07:01AM
Racer X
Even a 5% fuel savings ends up being huge after a year, with just one truck.

The issue with technology is getting it approved and being allowed to put it into use, especially in an industry that is massively regulated.

Absolutely!!! What would you get if you invested that? What do you suppose the 5% return would be on a $5m fuel bill?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 10, 2015 08:36AM
Fritz

Ditto—much better-looking.

Concept truck: Pretty neat. Be interesting to see how well the turbine performs in real life.

Did they deliberately design the cab to look like a Star Wars storm-trooper?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 10, 2015 08:59AM
And I'm sure Wal-Mart will pass some of the savings over to their customers. RollingEyesSmiley5

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 10, 2015 09:23AM
Forget Walmart, forget trucks, I'll take that '57 Chrysler, please. Now boys, that was when cyars were cyars, men were men, etc.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: May 10, 2015 01:34PM
mrlynn
Fritz

Ditto—much better-looking.

I'm likely a bit younger and would rather have the Infiniti. Tailfins don't do much for me. I think the Karmann Ghia is a much better looking vehicle. Ditto the Toyota 2000GT. I suppose not the same class as people mover.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 10, 2015 02:18PM
Turbine semis. Who would have thought?

(Yeah, I know they're saying Peterbilt evaluated turbines in the 60s also.)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 10, 2015 02:20PM
There are other ares of efficiency improvements as well.

We had a local battery company testing an APU/battery combo - e.g. run a small diesel genset for an hour for two hours of battery runtime, instead of idling the engine all night to power hotel loads.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: May 11, 2015 12:46AM
The carriers haul triple trailers in Nevada....

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 11, 2015 04:05AM
over the road semi trucks are a tool, not a status symbol or a fashion statement.

In some truck circles, they are about status and fashion to some extent.

But more so it's about reduced Cd, increased engine efficiency, improved power to weight ratio, etc. Wind tunnel testing led to a similarity in style of many brands of cars. And if the car is better looking as a result, I won't complain.

In cars, there've been great strides, from the retro ugly-chic to the comparatively svelte Infiniti. I grew up around the '57 and much preferred the '57 Chevrolet, even if it didn't have the cachét of the Chrysler. I didn't like the Chrysler then, and don't now. There are a couple-three vintage cars I wouldn't mind owning if I had the money to restore and drive them. But they wouldn't be the Chrysler. Or pretty much any Chrysler.

Over the same time period, tractor trailer rigs haven't made nearly the same strides in over all efficiency. That's an observation, not an accusation. It's mostly the nature of the beast, so I'm not expecting solar-powered electric big rigs anytime soon.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 11, 2015 06:37AM
This is the efficient way to move trailers/containers between cities:

Two guys, hundreds of trailers.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 11, 2015 06:47AM
mrlynn-
Yes, but..... the railways are infamous for losing cargo. Frequently. And their infrastructure is not maintained by governments, so there are costs there. Massive costs.
Date: May 11, 2015 08:29AM
cbelt3
mrlynn-
Yes, but..... the railways are infamous for losing cargo. Frequently. And their infrastructure is not maintained by governments, so there are costs there. Massive costs.

I have never heard of railways losing more cargo than trucks. Since the Staggers Act of 1980, which reduced railroad regulation, the Class I railroads in the US have done well, despite having to maintain their own infrastructure, and are competitive with trucks for long-haul freight. Intermodal (containers which can ship by rail, sea, or highway) is the fastest-growing segment of rail freight. From Wikipedia:

U.S. freight railroads operate in a highly competitive marketplace. To compete effectively against each other and against other transportation providers, railroads must offer high-quality service at competitive rates. In 2011, within the U.S., railroads carried 39.9% of freight by ton-mile, followed by trucks (33.4%), oil pipelines (14.3%), barges (12%) and air (0.3%). However, railroads' revenue share has been slowly falling for decades, a reflection of the intensity of the competition they face and of the large rate reductions railroads have passed through to their customers over the years.

North American railroads operated 1,471,736 freight cars and 31,875 locomotives, with 215,985 employees. They originated 39.53 million carloads (averaging 63 tons each) and generated $81.7 billion in freight revenue of present 2014. The average haul was 917 miles. The largest (Class 1) U.S. railroads carried 10.17 million intermodal containers and 1.72 million piggyback trailers. Intermodal traffic was 6.2% of tonnage originated and 12.6% of revenue. The largest commodities were coal, chemicals, farm products, nonmetallic minerals and intermodal. Other major commodities carried include lumber, automobiles, and waste materials. Coal alone was 43.3% of tonnage and 24.7% of revenue.[26] Coal accounts roughly half of U.S. electricity generation[27] and is a major export.

The fastest growing rail traffic segment is currently intermodal. Intermodal is the movement of shipping containers or truck trailers by rail and at least one other mode of transportation, usually trucks or ocean-going vessels. Intermodal combines the door-to-door convenience of trucks with the long-haul economy of railroads. Rail intermodal has tripled in the last 25 years. It plays a critical role in making logistics far more efficient for retailers and others. The efficiency of intermodal provides the U.S. with a huge competitive advantage in the global economy.

[en.wikipedia.org]

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 11, 2015 09:12AM
Clearly rail is much cheaper if you have the time (or, more accurately, the foresight) to wait for your freight.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 11, 2015 05:22PM
Speedy
Clearly rail is much cheaper if you have the time (or, more accurately, the foresight) to wait for your freight.
Not quite true, I had containers come in two days from Long Beach to Houston....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020