advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mini Cooper info
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 15, 2015 12:49PM
we're looking at cars. anyone have one? care to weigh in on your experience or give a fave US based forum?

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mini Cooper info
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 15, 2015 12:58PM
My impression from several friends who currently, or have, owned them:

1) Great fun to drive
2) Incredibly expensive to repair
3) Needs to be repaired more often than anticipated (see #2 above)

That's anecdotal information from 2-3 people, so take it for what it's worth.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 15, 2015 01:19PM
I seriously considered buying one. I saw one of the Saturday AM mechanic shows take one apart for an upgrade I would have wanted to do after it passed the main warranty period. Pretty much a two man job working on a Japanese puzzle box, or a car-sized MacBook Pro.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 15, 2015 01:22PM
dunno, I've watched my mechanic take apart our 2 saabs, they looked like crammed rubics cubes as well.
I'd bet he wouldn't be exactly at home taking apart a 24 track tape machine neither.....

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 15, 2015 01:39PM
Fritz
we're looking at cars. anyone have one? care to weigh in on your experience or give a fave US based forum?

What else are you looking at? And which model? So we have something to compare it to... They seem woefully small to me.

I think my neighbor paid $35,000+ for is S. I about fell over.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 01:45PM by jdc.
Date: May 15, 2015 01:44PM
heh, heh, heh

Audi A4, A5
BMW 328i
Benz GLA 250
Nissan Rogue and Juke
Volvo S60
VW Passat

I know, no logic at all. MPG and comfort level are primary criteria. Under $40k although I will lease.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JEBB
Date: May 15, 2015 01:47PM
Honda Fit is worth a look.
Date: May 15, 2015 01:49PM
have a accord. no more honda. they feel like tin to me.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 15, 2015 01:53PM
I would think the mini would be at the very bottom of that list in comfort.

Have you driven any of them? Id scratch the Rogue, s60 and Passat off the list first, if it was my list. Ive owned a couple of volovos, and my my mom had an S80 -- all meh. VW cause its a VW. If I wanted a small CUV, rogue might be near the bottom of my list, but admittedly Im not really up on this segment right now. Id think a Sorrento or SantaFe would be better, but MPG prob sucks on them.

Date: May 15, 2015 01:57PM
Sorrento and Santa Fe suck at MPG as said.
Looking at driving next week.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Don C
Date: May 15, 2015 02:01PM
I have a 2009 Clubman with 60K miles.

Early on I had to replace the water pump but it was under warranty.

Last July's visit to the shop (not the dealer) was expensive, but we replaced the original battery, replaced the thermostat and housing, did a brake fluid flush, replaced wiper blades and engine and cabin air filters for just over $1k.

More recently I replaced the belt tensioner for $317.

The shop works on BMW and MINI's and is closer than the dealer. I have not decided whether they are upselling services but the costs amortize pretty well, I think.

I have the small engine so I don't leave anybody in the dust, although it has a sport button which does improve acceleration. I use it when I anticipate a lane change.

The Clubman is a little larger than the basic units and has the barn doors at the back which make getting into the back easy enough (not that raising a trunk lid is all that hard). We use it mostly around town; my wife does not like the sport seats for long drives. I am quite comfortable in the seats.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: May 15, 2015 02:04PM
My neighbor has a Paceman that he has had for a couple of years. He has more fun with it than ought to be legal. It rides like a bigger car, but handles like the small road hugger that it is. He loves doing auto-cross in it, and has driven it to a few Mini rallies. I love the look of it, and It's a real performer on the road. Time will tell about the durability, but so far, it's a keeper!
Posted by: decay
Date: May 15, 2015 02:26PM
Friend of mine's wife had one, it developed electrical problems.

---
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 15, 2015 02:32PM
The BMW 228 is enough smaller than the 328 that it would appeal to someone looking at a Mini, or is this group all sedans/4-doors?

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 02:32PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: May 15, 2015 02:36PM
mostly 4 doors other than the A5.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 15, 2015 03:11PM
I hope they don't have Lucas electrical systems like the original.

Posted by: WI Boilermaker
Date: May 15, 2015 03:11PM
I don't know about JDC's problem with Volvo, but my S60 w/turbo is anything but meh!
Date: May 15, 2015 03:25PM
WI Boilermaker
I don't know about JDC's problem with Volvo, but my S60 w/turbo is anything but meh!

Maybe its just the overall styling? (I kinda feel the same way about Audi, but to each his own) or middle of the road specs. Unless you get the T6. Im sure the 60 is a "nice" car. But for $40K I think I want something better than "nice"...

Guess you are too soon for a 2016 maxima...

Date: May 15, 2015 03:27PM
there ain't a sedan on the road that doesn't look like an egg to me. if you took the badges of a bunch not sure I could tell most apart.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 15, 2015 03:54PM
I wasn't thrilled when my wife bought her cherokee, but it has really endeared itself to me. Comfortable, decent mileage, nicely outfitted. The only thing I wish she had gotten in hindsight was the towing package (gets you the upgraded suspension, rearview camera, and a full-size spare).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 15, 2015 03:55PM
Whoah. That's like a $300 battery, $200 thermostat, $300 air filters, and $200 wiper blades.

Don C
I have a 2009 Clubman with 60K miles.
... Last July's visit to the shop (not the dealer) was expensive, but we replaced the original battery, replaced the thermostat and housing, did a brake fluid flush, replaced wiper blades and engine and cabin air filters for just over $1k.

I think the mini BMW's (223 or whatever the #) look like the class of the compact class, along with the lil Volvo hatchbk ( __-30, the pricey one -do they still make that mdl?). The Audi A3 hatchbk -&A4 wagon- is quite nice, too.
If I had any money, I wouldn't mind any of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 04:05PM by Psurfer.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 15, 2015 03:56PM
My son's first car. Fun as hell, good on gas.

Then the transmission broke (as it did on many/most of the earlier models, automatic or manual). And the dealership said "we don't repair transmissions, just replace them, for $5 to 6,000". This on a car with ~35,000 miles.

Google it. Here's just one example of a looong thread about failures of the automatic transmission in early Minis:

[Sad, yet familiar tale of transmission failure]... The dealer wants to charge me 7000 dollars to replace the tranny. The only conclusion I can draw is that transmissions on minis spontaneously implode every 3 years. I simply can't afford to keep a car with that kind of maintenance record.

That's post #1 of 143 in the thread.

I hear BMW/Mini learned their lesson, and put better transmissions in beginning around 2005 or so. (and I also learned, just today, that BMW quietly settled a class-action suit over this, apparently without telling former buyers/owners, like myself.)

It may be a wonderful car these days. But I would never, _never_ buy another, after what happened and the way they treated us. You know, "Fool me once..."
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: May 15, 2015 03:59PM
Fritz
I know, no logic at all. MPG and comfort level are primary criteria. Under $40k although I will lease.

My friend's mini rides like a sports car, so I would rate it low on the comfort level.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 15, 2015 04:07PM
Here's another: the top 568 (!) complaints and reviews about Mini Cooper.

It's a fun car. But I wouldn't touch one again.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2015 04:34PM
my friend has the Works edition, which is zippy but I find it crappily made (as does he) compared to other Euro marques.

if you want solid Euro feel, and still reasonable comfort for under $40k, it looks like the VW GTI is really nice.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 15, 2015 04:36PM
Sounds like my anecdotal 'evidence' is pretty accurate.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: billb
Date: May 15, 2015 04:40PM
My brother has the sport one with the turbo that first came out in 2007.
It's quick. He won't let his wife drive it not anyone else.
It hasn't had any where near the number of problems her 1997 /8 Beetle diesel has had. I think they qualified for cheaper insurance on the bug because its' principal residence was at the repair shop locked up and not in their driveway.
They keep pouring money into it.
Although the last time I saw it it had quite a layer of pollen or dust on it.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: May 15, 2015 05:53PM
I'm sure I can 569 complaints about any of the others or any other.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: stephen
Date: May 16, 2015 05:59AM
I've had three MINI Coopers.

2003 Hardtop
2008 S Hardtop
2012 Hardtop

Best forum is [www.northamericanmotoring.com]

The first MINI stole my heart and was one of my all time great cars.

The other two have been more modern and had more creature comforts, but lack the steering feel and connection to the road of the original.

I bought a 100K warranty for this most recent Cooper. Passed 56K miles last night but haven't needed to use it.

There was a big tension belt tightener issue with some models for a while but I think it has since been resolved.

I buy Coopers now out of intertia, not passion. I think all cars are boring and overpriced now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 06:07AM by stephen.
Posted by: stephen
Date: May 16, 2015 06:04AM
Fritz, I rented that CLA 250 in South Africa and it was pretty cool.

I love BMWs but feel they are overpriced.

I respect the GTi but have never been able to fall in love.

If the Ford Focus gets CarPlay this fall, it becomes a contender for me. Exceptional steering and road feel in this era of numb electric steering.

I wish Audi would bring the A1 over, or that Mercedes would do the same with their smaller models.

*My bad - the Mercedes CLA 250 is a sedan and you were looking at the SUV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 08:17AM by stephen.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: May 16, 2015 07:17AM
I have been small SUV shopping lately.

Audi Q3
Mercedes GLA & GLK
BMW X4 and 328GT
Acura RDX
Lexus NX200 F sport
Lincoln MKC

Audi. Overall I liked the Q3 the best, but I cannot locate one with the options I want that also does not have a lot more options I do not want. Bottom line is the Q3 becomes too expensive. I've never owned an Audi but after several VW's I would assume the reliability factor is lower then most.

GLA & GLK. What's with the column shift? Are you kidding me? 1979 called and wants their column shift back. I found both cars un engaging and boring to drive. A big difference compared to the 2013 C250 that we own now. The C250 is responsive and a pleasure to drive. Not these small SUVs. The GLA 45 fixes everything but is too expensive.

X4 and 328GT. I really liked both of these, a little pricey but I could probably spend the time and get close to my budget. The downside for me is a personal one. We've owned 2 BMW's in the recent past and both have been troublesome and the local dealer is a nightmare in the service dept.

Acura RDX. I drove it a few months ago. Seems a little dated, the V6 is powerful compared to others in the class. It's cheap. Huge discounts, will lease for about $100 mo less then the others. Perhaps I should revisit it

Lexus NX 200 F sport. I went to a nearby dealer, the largest in the area, they have a golf course on site, a Starbucks in the lobby that's free. However the sales techniques are weird. It's like taking a tour at a vacation sales club meeting. The sales person was well versed on the training videos he watched but seemed he could not have cared less about my questions. I contacted another dealer about an hour away, called, spoke to a nice salesperson, they said they would go over their inventory and e-mail me what they had and what they could offer. The next day I got an e-mail "I have exciting news, I have the perfect NX for you, I tried calling but got no answer but please let me know what time you can come down Sunday to take a look, I know your going to love it and our offer will really surprise you, trust me. Please call me ASAP to let me now what time you can be here so I can make sure I am available on such a busy day"

I had explained to this salesperson that I am a photographer and event coordinator and I will be on site at events Friday evening and all day Saturday and won't be able to talk on the phone. please text or email only. Sunday will be my first day off in 3 weeks and I would be able to drove down and purchase the car.

That leave the Lincoln MKC. Lincoln has done a lot to move their cars away from the cadaver crowd, but still left a few items to fix. The two things I noticed are the seats, which seem like they were designed by lazyboy, super cushy with limited support. Also, Push button transmission? Really? Did someones uncle that worked for Dodge in the late 60's need a job? On the plus side the 2.3 Ecoboost is powerful and responsive. Nice vehicle.

Going to look at the Cadillac SRX tomorrow
Date: May 16, 2015 05:04PM
I hate car shopping, unless I could go for the Tesla without thinking about it.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020