advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Don't leave your pets outside... there are bigger and hungrier critters.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 24, 2015 09:33AM
Friday night mrs. cbelt3 and I were startled awake by an unholy screaming from outside the house. The shrill sound of an animal in peril woke us and our snoozing pups, who of course began a vocal barking and howling.

I grabbed a flashlight and headed outside to find the source. And in front of our neighbors house I spied a large grey fox lunging at a thick bush. I yelled, the fox turned, and ran away, stopping once to make sure I wasn't following. The flashlight beam found him, and he scampered away.

And huddling inside the bush ? A Siamese cat.. blue eyes, fur ruffed up, mouth open in terror. I reached in for her, and she fled in the opposite direction, away from me, and away from the fox. I watched her run across the street, hopefully home where she would cry to be let in.

OK, admittedly we live next to a large nature preserve where there are several packs of coyotes, a number of foxes, and assorted other critters of the prey and predator type.

Keep your pets inside, folks. You do NOT want to lose Fluffy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Don't leave your pets outside... there are bigger and hungrier critters.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 24, 2015 09:39AM
Rabbits can make an ungodly scream at 3 AM when they are being grabbed for warm sushi.

night or just plain opportunistic carnivores

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Re: PSA: Don't leave your pets outside... there are bigger and hungrier critters.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2015 09:42AM
How about you? You encroached on their territory and contributed to the food chain. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

We live on a hillside where coyotes have been pushed to the brink of extinction but still strive to survive. They feed mostly on wild rabbit or grouse but occasionally a household pet if that pet's owner is a total ignoramus.

If you don't know your environment, you ought not to live there and certainly ought not to shelter a pet that's smaller than local predators.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 24, 2015 09:52AM
Yes there are..the housekeeper's cat was attacked by a coyote a month ago..the Cat got away but had a couple of punctures and a messed up leg..pretty lucky, tough cat.

Check this video (was kinda viral i think) of this Rot saving the neighbors dog from a Coyote..Note the intensity of the initial attack by the Coyote, decisive catch and then the Rot runs out and kicks some ass.

(Click "skip ad" or you will suffer)

Dog Saves Neighbor's Dog From Coyote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 09:54AM by Kraniac.
Date: May 24, 2015 09:53AM
...ugh sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 09:53AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: max
Date: May 24, 2015 10:12AM
Kraniac
Check this video (was kinda viral i think) of this Rot saving the neighbors dog from a Coyote..Note the intensity of the initial attack by the Coyote, decisive catch and then the Rot runs out and kicks some ass.

Hilarious comments....
"My husband decided he wanted one and brought it home when he was a little thing, but you can NEVER GET THE WILD OUT OF A WILD ANIMAL!! It killed my prize chickens and tried to eat all the kittens but my Aussie protected them. I HATE coyotes!!!"

"Chihuahua_Dah @#$%&? "Sees coyote and immediately hauls ass* Coyote_gggrrrr you going down. "Grabs him as the tussle for a few mins.* Chihuahua_Help @#$%& in distress. Pimp down, pimp down, pimp in distress! Rottweiler_"Hears his friends cries and charges the beast chasing him"Oh heeeellllll no you @#$%& didn't! I'm gonna @#$%& yo ass up @#$%&!"
"He wasn't being racist because it wasn't directed toward anyone of color, it was make believe grow up and get your panties out of twist."
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 24, 2015 10:47AM
max
Kraniac

Hilarious comments....
"My husband decided he wanted one and brought it home when he was a little thing, but you can NEVER GET THE WILD OUT OF A WILD ANIMAL!! It killed my prize chickens and tried to eat all the kittens but my Aussie protected them. I HATE coyotes!!!"

"Chihuahua_Dah @#$%&? "Sees coyote and immediately hauls ass* Coyote_gggrrrr you going down. "Grabs him as the tussle for a few mins.* Chihuahua_Help @#$%& in distress. Pimp down, pimp down, pimp in distress! Rottweiler_"Hears his friends cries and charges the beast chasing him"Oh heeeellllll no you @#$%& didn't! I'm gonna @#$%& yo ass up @#$%&!"
"He wasn't being racist because it wasn't directed toward anyone of color, it was make believe grow up and get your panties out of twist."

Pimp down!
Date: May 24, 2015 10:59AM
RgrF
How about you? You encroached on their territory and contributed to the food chain. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

We live on a hillside where coyotes have been pushed to the brink of extinction but still strive to survive. They feed mostly on wild rabbit or grouse but occasionally a household pet if that pet's owner is a total ignoramus.

If you don't know your environment, you ought not to live there and certainly ought not to shelter a pet that's smaller than local predators.

Im thinking' Cbelt understands this..But i didn't so, thank you! Too late though..I've killed everything including my neighbor's fiberglass deers.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 24, 2015 12:36PM
We see a lot of attacks on small animals and birds behind my house. It's pretty wild back there, with a creek running through a thick forest, and virtually no grass to mow.

My Pop puts out dried corn and sunflower seeds daily and it attracts a lot of small critters. Occasionally, you will see a fox or bobcat sneak in and grab a squirrel or bird, if they're lucky. I've also seen the neighbors cat sneaking in for a little "hunting" of it's own and the hunter suddenly turns into the prey as you watch the cat running back home in absolute fear.

Mother nature, you gotta love her!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 24, 2015 03:24PM

I have no problem disrupting the food chain for a domesticated pet.

Encroaching is what we do.

How 'bout you?

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 24, 2015 04:21PM
Feral cats make great food for coyotes. More power to the coyotes. Unfortunately, the coyotes keep getting the neighborhood rabbits.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: May 24, 2015 04:54PM
The land planning term for it is Wildland–urban interface. Also applies to the talking about fires.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 24, 2015 06:49PM
pqrst
The land planning term for it is Wildland–urban interface. Also applies to the talking about fires.

Ecotones
Posted by: silvarios
Date: May 24, 2015 07:55PM
RAMd®d

How 'bout you?

Laws can differ, but around here, cat's are not supposed to free roam…not to mention how many animals people's lovable little cats kill when they are allowed to hunt indiscriminately. I would have let nature work itself out in this case.
Date: May 24, 2015 07:56PM
As long as we keep building houses in coyote habitat they're gonna keep become more and more adapted to that environment.
They're gonna harvest lunch from that spot whether your house is on it or not.
Don't leave food out.

I don't mind if the coyotes take all the rabbits.
Coyotes don't eat my lettuce ! :-)

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: May 24, 2015 08:15PM
silvarios
RAMd®d

How 'bout you?

Laws can differ, but around here, cat's are not supposed to free roam…not to mention how many animals people's lovable little cats kill when they are allowed to hunt indiscriminately. I would have let nature work itself out in this case.

...Because it's all the cat's fault?

Those darned domesticated cats and their fiendish plots to get eaten!

Posted by: max
Date: May 24, 2015 09:21PM
Everybody knows cats steal souls,

coyotes are soul redeemers....
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 25, 2015 05:28PM
Coyotes were gone for a long time here, they are now coming back, slowly.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: May 25, 2015 07:26PM
We had a pack for 7 or 8 years. They cleaned the area out. It was kinda nice not having rabbits and needing a fence around the garden. I found a few deer parts and then they were gone. Everyone in our area of town who lost pets and "farm" animals were told they were protected and they couldn't be "removed". They moved north about 6 miles into the more affluent part of town and all of a sudden the selectman who lived there declared they were a nuisance and had to be euthanized. Funny how when it was their pets and wildlife being taken for supper the rules changed.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 26, 2015 01:34AM
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020