advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Early 2011 Macbook Pro not charging
Posted by: pinion
Date: June 02, 2015 09:00AM
I'm trying not to panic but I realized my laptop isn't charging. I've tried a couple different outlets. I reset PRAM and SMC. I suppose my next step is to check the pins with a multimeter to make sure that the charger is putting out power?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Early 2011 Macbook Pro not charging
Posted by: MEG
Date: June 02, 2015 09:46AM
Yup - I've had two chargers fail in the past year - one was from a 2008 Macbook and the other from a 2011.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 02, 2015 12:22PM
You won't be able to see any voltage on the pins. They are turned off until the brick talks to the computer to get energized. You are going to need to test with a good brick.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 02, 2015 01:31PM
We had an internal battery completely fail in a MBP this year, so you might want to check your brick on a working laptop too.
Posted by: pinion
Date: June 05, 2015 07:39AM
F/U It was the brick. I'm surprised it only made it 4 years. I hardly ever travel with that laptop and for the most part the brick stays in it's place. I can't believe it cost me $86 to replace it (tax etc.). That's like 10% of a MacBook air. sad smiley

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 05, 2015 01:03PM
pinion
F/U It was the brick. I'm surprised it only made it 4 years. I hardly ever travel with that laptop and for the most part the brick stays in it's place. I can't believe it cost me $86 to replace it (tax etc.). That's like 10% of a MacBook air. sad smiley

You might consider picking up a spare or two during the next OWC Garage Sale. There are usually units available at reasonable prices.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020