advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
good price on a good battery. Anker 10000 mAh for $22
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 04, 2015 03:31PM
I bought this in January. Used it several times on the plane, or even at home when iPad is empty and kids want to play on the couch and cable it too short to plug iPad into outlet.

[camelcamelcamel.com]

right now it is $22 although it was $20 at some point. I was $40 for a while.

I got a gizmo on eBay, it arrived a few days ago, and when I charged this battery overnight, it showed 9980 mAh. That is the charge that went IN. I will also test how much it puts out. But I expect close to what I put in. Even if I get only 8000, I would still be OK with that. Most over vendors overstate the cell capacity. I have seen some on eBay that were sold as 50,000 although they said small in the text the actual capacity was 20,000. At least ANKER does not play this game.

And that small USB gizmo ($8) seems pretty cool, will post some pictures at some point.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: good price on a good battery. Anker 10000 mAh for $22
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: June 04, 2015 09:06PM
I have one. Nice, but a couple minor gripes.

Ive found that, assuming it's true to rated capacity, the conversion losses total about 30%, so it won't fully charge an iPad Air (8820 mAh), which was also similarly new when tested.

Good, but not quite what's promised in the manual, or claimed in the sales lit. The circuit board may be 92% efficient, but actual output capacity is closer to 70%.

And, for whatever reason, Anker's ODM doesn't recognize that there is an up/down orientation to USB plugs. Neither this battery nor my multi-port chargers conform to the standard, which is frustrating when everything else I own does.

(symbol side "up" -- The USB specification states that the required USB icon must be embossed on the "topside" of the USB plug, which "...provides easy user recognition and facilitates alignment during the mating process.")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 09:16PM by Bimwad.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 04, 2015 09:49PM
I see. as I said, it was very close to 10,000 that went IN. what comes OUT remains to be seen.

USB ports face down does not bother me much, as I usually keep the battery upside down anyway, I don't want the blue light shining in the dark when I charge my phone at night.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: June 05, 2015 02:25AM
Yeah, I still like it, especially the size and shape, given that it's a LiPoly battery and doesn't use 18650 cells. I had just hoped the loss factor would be better than average.

I also considered the E4, but thought it would be too large.

The port orientation is an issue when plugging in, not necessarily at rest. Having to remember to flip the cable plug over when holding the battery label side up is annoying, and shouldn't be necessary. Anker has been a brand that pays attention to details, like moving to smart ports befor everyone else, so it's disappointing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020