advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
“Inside Out” reviews: 'Best Pixar since UP'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 18, 2015 12:47PM

Looking for a new flick that doesn't have galumphing CGI dinosaurs?
“Inside Out” starts Friday. Check out your favorite reviewers for the details.

Yup, it's Pixar. Bring the hankies.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “Inside Out” reviews: 'Best Pixar since UP'
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 18, 2015 01:07PM
The first 5 minutes of Up are better than 2 hours of many movies.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 18, 2015 01:09PM
Good to hear. Cars2 was Disney Channel fare, Brave was a Disney Princess Flick and Monsters U seemed soul-less.

my 9 years old can't wait!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 18, 2015 01:16PM

Absolutely!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: “Inside Out”
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 18, 2015 01:17PM
that movie name sounds like any scene from "Game of Thrones".......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 18, 2015 01:40PM
For a weeper I prefer 'The Brave Little Toaster'. It could pin the empathy meter on some kids for life.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 18, 2015 02:10PM
Steve,

I'll probably see Inside Out once and then watch episodes of Herman's Head on YouTube. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 18, 2015 02:18PM
Rolando
Good to hear. Cars2 was Disney Channel fare, Brave was a Disney Princess Flick and Monsters U seemed soul-less.

Last year's Big Hero 6 was very enjoyable - I liked it more than any of the three films you mention above (I did also like Brave, though I agree with your assessment). Officially it was released by Disney but it has Pixar written all over it.

It is what it is.
Date: June 18, 2015 02:19PM
Robert M
then watch episodes of Herman's Head

The first thing I thought of when I learned what the plot of Inside Out was about.

It is what it is.
Date: June 18, 2015 03:03PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Rolando

Last year's Big Hero 6 was very enjoyable - I liked it more than any of the three films you mention above (I did also like Brave, though I agree with your assessment). Officially it was released by Disney but it has Pixar written all over it.

Agree Completely. Same is true for Wreck It Ralph. I still think Disney Management had "switched" Brave and Ralph to help the disney label.

I loved Big Hero 6!

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 18, 2015 03:07PM
Rolando

I loved Big Hero 6!

so everyone thinks that 'Big Hero 6'.....was five by five......???

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 18, 2015 04:09PM
Yup, 10-4
Posted by: hal
Date: June 18, 2015 04:26PM
Rolando
I still think Disney Management had "switched" Brave and Ralph to help the disney label.

Pixar management took over Disney animation during the merger. There is no longer a Pixar and a Disney - they have merged.
Date: June 18, 2015 04:29PM
hal
There is no longer a Pixar and a Disney - they have merged.

Technically correct, but they still identify as such:

It is what it is.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 18, 2015 04:30PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Robert M
then watch episodes of Herman's Head

The first thing I thought of when I learned what the plot of Inside Out was about.

Me too.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 18, 2015 04:43PM
N-OS X-tasy!
hal

What I mean is that there is now one animation studio at disney and it's run by the people that used to run pixar. Since disney owns both VALUABLE brand names, they use them both.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: June 18, 2015 07:34PM
hal
N-OS X-tasy!
hal

What I mean is that there is now one animation studio at disney and it's run by the people that used to run pixar. Since disney owns both VALUABLE brand names, they use them both.

Yup.

Brought Disney way up - Wreck It Ralph was top Pixar-quality.

Brought Pixar way down. Cars 2, Planes and Planes 2. Rote mechanical Disney fluff. Plug-and-play stories without heart. Brave's throw-away 3rd act.

John Lasseter's not his own man anymore. Goes where he's told instead of sticking to his guns and protecting his home-team from the marketers. Sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 07:38PM by Onamuji.
Date: June 18, 2015 07:59PM
Onamuji
John Lasseter's not his own man anymore. Goes where he's told instead of sticking to his guns and protecting his home-team from the marketers. Sad.

I want to believe that's not true... but in my heart, I knew from the beginning that's exactly what would happen.

It is what it is.
Date: June 18, 2015 10:42PM
hal
Rolando
I still think Disney Management had "switched" Brave and Ralph to help the disney label.

Pixar management took over Disney animation during the merger. There is no longer a Pixar and a Disney - they have merged.

Hence the term "Label"

Posted by: Kate
Date: June 18, 2015 11:57PM
This is from Pete Docter, who is the heart of Pixar.

Kate
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: June 19, 2015 07:01AM
We saw it last night, and I am mostly indifferent about it. It has its moments, to be sure, but the reviewer(s?) who are saying it's like a full-length version of the first 5 minutes of "Up" are vastly overstating its emotional impact. I feel like the focus on Joy is to the film's detriment, although I completely understand why it is "her" story in many ways.

It's extremely colorful, but our almost 5-year-old grew listless about halfway through because there just wasn't enough "stimulation" for him otherwise (and, to be honest, the "return trip" that comprises much of the film does drag a bit). I personally appreciated that it wasn't reliant on slapstick humor (that much) and/or musical numbers (at all), but it may not be a great fit for much younger children as a result.
Posted by: mspace
Date: June 19, 2015 09:09AM
jdc

The first 5 minutes of Up was all I liked of that movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2015 09:09AM by mspace.
Date: June 19, 2015 10:59AM
mspace
jdc

The first 5 minutes of Up was all I liked of that movie.

so the first 5 minutes were not 5 by 5...????

Posted by: Mike's Mac2
Date: June 19, 2015 12:57PM
Just finished reading Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull. Interesting history of Pixar - Pixar/Disney as well as some management philosophies. I highly recommend the read, especially at the price I got - local library.
Mike
Date: June 19, 2015 01:17PM
I hope Pixar doesn't let us down with this one.....but that they will let us UP......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020