advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Automated Workflow Program for OS X?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 25, 2006 12:10PM
I have been using Markzscount for automating movement and flightchecking files. The programers decided that they were not going to make a version for OS X and discontinued the product. I have been looking at alternatives but I haven't found anything that works even close. I looked at Automator and it doesn't seem to be able to do "if, else" actions.

My automated workflow starts with one folder and then goes through a set of questions to see what should be done to a file. If it has one file type it will go do one thing, if it is another it will do something else. I haven't found a program with that kind of flexibility. I know I could write it in Applescript, but that would be crazy complicated. Is anyone here using a product to automate workflow?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Automated Workflow Program for OS X?
Posted by: LyleH
Date: October 25, 2006 01:52PM
A quick search in Automator shows a "Filter Finder Items" Action. This lets you select "Name Extension is equal to (put in extension here). The next action(s) would be what needs to be done to files with that extension. Then you create another Name Extension is equal to (put extension here) and follow that with the action to take.

I don't know if the workflow would just drop through to the next action if the first action was NOT equal to the first extension.

Also don't know if you can get this to loop. This may be too simplistic, but could be a starting point. Automator lets you build and test quite easily.

There are quite a few good Automator web sites with Workflows to download.

LyleH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020