advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
jeans
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 02, 2015 08:02PM
I really like wearing jeans. I wear them to work every day. But I really hate shopping for them; perhaps because I can't find any that fit me the way I like them to fit. Different makers seem to size them differently. Hell, even within the same maker, the sizing can be inconsistent. It doesn't help that no one makes a 33" inseam. A 34" used to be about right, but now a 34 is way too long and a 32 is just a bit too short.

I don't want to wear them up under my armpits, so a regular rise isn't happening. I lean toward low-rise, but somewhere in between the two would probably work out best. I don't have beefy legs and I have less of an ass than I used to in my youth, so everything "regular" is way too baggy in the seat and thighs. Slim fit in my waist size seems to fit okay in the seat and thighs, but then in that style all I seem to find are those silly distressed/worn/ripped/dirty looking things that look like they should have been thrown out a long time ago.

There have to be other folks out there shaped like I am. What jeans are you wearing? Oh yeah, one important detail. I'm not about to shell out $100 for a pair of jeans. For that matter, I'd have a hard time spending half that unless I really liked the way they fit and look. Anything out there around $30 (or less)?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 07:04AM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: jeans
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 02, 2015 08:09PM
Goodwill has a huge selection in my neck of the woods. Give them a shot.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 02, 2015 08:21PM
I agree about Goodwill. If you hit the right one you can get $100 jeans for a tenth of that price.

Posted by: billb
Date: July 02, 2015 08:34PM
[www.wrangler.com]

usually best price here:
[vfoutlet.com]
They also carry Nautica ( besides Lee and Wrangler) for nice cut pant instead of jeans
they had a P3100X that fit me perfect. I wish I had bought a bunch of them in White for Summer. So Nice and soft and lightweight 100% cotton.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 09:07PM by billb.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 02, 2015 08:58PM
Levi's 514, about $42 at Macy's, IIRC

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 02, 2015 09:52PM
I think Old Navy carries 33's. I had the skinny butt also 'til I began cycling in earnest. Big difference. FWIW.

Caveat; Old Navy jeans shrink. The 33's I bought 3 years ago are now more like 32 or 31 inseam. Annoying. But for $25-30, I guess that's what you get.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 02, 2015 09:53PM
Try to hit a sale at Gap. I have some Gap jeans that have seemed to be higher quality. ~$40 on sale.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 03, 2015 12:20AM
Cabela's has a carpenter jean I like and there is a store nearby. They run $26 on sale.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 03, 2015 12:41AM
wurm
I really like wearing jeans…I don't want to wear them up under my armpits…I lean toward low-rise

Hmm…not this:

…but this:

Got it…
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 03, 2015 04:53AM
billb
[www.wrangler.com]

usually best price here:
[vfoutlet.com]

For better or worse, Wal-Mart has Wrangler jeans for under $20

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 03, 2015 08:22AM
$100 jeans?!

Shirley you jest!

I agree about the inconsistency of sizing. I recently bought two pair of jeans that were labeled as the same size but one was noticeably smaller in the waist.

I like wearing jeans whenever I can. I just dislike having to try on every pair before I buy.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 03, 2015 08:43AM
I was pleasantly surprised by some dark blue, Wrangler premium slim cut jeans I bought at Walmart or Target, trying to remember which.

Target's budget Levis brand is okay too, again in slim cut. I'm hardly a slim guy, but as my late doctor Dad used to say, I've been taking my Noassatall tablets...
Date: July 03, 2015 09:15AM
Thanks, all. I'm heading to Target/Walmart soon, stephen, so I'll check them out. In fact, the ones I've been wearing are those budget brand Levis ("Signature") from Walmart. Hard to believe that they're the best fitting jeans I've found yet.

RAMd@d, when I started researching before posting here, I couldn't believe the fact that there are people suggesting even $200+ jeans. Their great deals were in the $60-$75 range. Still about double what I want to spend on jeans.
Date: July 03, 2015 10:07AM
Still about double what I want to spend on jeans.

Exactly!

$200!

Price is relative of course, but I cannot grok that kind of cash for jeans.

$35 for Levi's makes me feel like I'm being ripped off.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 03, 2015 11:32AM
$35 for Levi's makes me feel like I'm being ripped off.

those are actually 1980s prices...

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Date: July 03, 2015 12:12PM
Just got back from my adventure. Happy to say that I found a pair of Levi's 514s that fit pretty well. Price on tag is $58, but Macy's had them on sale for $42.99. I had a coupon, too, but of course Levi's are excluded in the fine print. Still more than I was hoping to spend on jeans, but I like them well enough that I'll look for them on sale again.

Then to Walmart, where I actually found a pair of Wrangler Slim Straight that fit well for $20. They didn't have 34 length, but the 32 is actually longer than my old 34s. Go figure. Let's hope they don't shrink too much and I get a little use out of them.

All in all, a fairly productive trip. And now I can at least look online for these same ones on sale. Thanks for your thoughts.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 03, 2015 01:01PM
what about Jean Grey....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 03, 2015 01:48PM
wurm
Just got back from my adventure. Happy to say that I found a pair of Levi's 514s that fit pretty well. Price on tag is $58, but Macy's had them on sale for $42.99. I had a coupon, too, but of course Levi's are excluded in the fine print. Still more than I was hoping to spend on jeans, but I like them well enough that I'll look for them on sale again.

Then to Walmart, where I actually found a pair of Wrangler Slim Straight that fit well for $20. They didn't have 34 length, but the 32 is actually longer than my old 34s. Go figure. Let's hope they don't shrink too much and I get a little use out of them.

All in all, a fairly productive trip. And now I can at least look online for these same ones on sale. Thanks for your thoughts.

I stopped buying Wrangler jeans at Walmart a number of years ago when I found they were getting a faux double-stitched seam for the inseam. The same styles sold at Target still got the tougher double-stitched flat felled seam. Are they still doing that in the pair you just purchased?
Date: July 03, 2015 03:23PM
Damned if I can tell. I'm not even sure I know what you're talking about. Does this pic help?

Posted by: DewGuy
Date: July 03, 2015 03:29PM
I've also been looking the past few years and have to honestly say that I haven't found the perfect solution yet.

A couple things that I do that help some are to check the manufacturer's website to see what sizes particular jeans are made in because not all stores stock all sizes or even the same sizes. An example of this are Wrangler Regular Fit, 31 x 32, the local Meijer stores don't carry my size, but Target does. They're still too baggy, but they're the best I've been able to find locally that are inexpensive.

For a better fit but still not perfect I've found that Levi's 505s in that size fit better, but cost considerably more, if they last longer they'll be worth it, but I haven't worn them enough to know.

With both brands I've found that the sizing is very inconsistent, so I take a seamstress tape with me to the store and measure them. The waist doesn't seem to shrink much if any but the length does, so I look for the ones that are made longer vs shorter so I don't end up with waders.
Date: July 03, 2015 04:21PM
wurm
Damned if I can tell. I'm not even sure I know what you're talking about. Does this pic help?

Yep, that is the faux double-stitched seam. Watch out, it can blow out under some stresses that the normally stitched jeans will stand up to. In my case it tore out while I was working on a porch repair.

The seam Wrangler uses normally for the inseam has no edges of the cloth exposed. The edges of both pieces of denim that meet are folded and then interlocked. The two rows of stitches end up going through four layers of cloth.
Date: July 03, 2015 04:31PM
Very interesting. But for $19.97, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they'd cut some corners. One thing that did surprise me and that I just noticed now is that they are 98% cotton and 2% Spandex! Maybe that's why they were a little more comfortable in the waist. ;)
Date: July 04, 2015 12:25AM
The worst of it is that the Wrangler jeans from Target usually are only a couple bucks more at most compared to the "same" style from Walmart when I have gone shopping for them.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 04, 2015 02:16AM
Have you checked out Cabela's website for jeans? I pick up their store brand when on sale since it's getting harder to find 34 inseams in women's jeans.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 04, 2015 04:40AM
Great thread! Except where DewGuy bragged about being 31 x 32.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 04, 2015 05:56AM
Aren't Costco jeans somewhere in the $13-14 range? That's what I wear. I don't have either the small butt nor small waist problem however!
Date: July 04, 2015 08:33AM
Believe me, I'd much prefer Target over Walmart, but I don't recall seeing these Slim Straight Wranglers at either Target I checked. May have to look again. As for Costco, I wish there were one near me, for a number of reasons. I signed up during a discounted membership event a couple of years ago and it was inconvenient enough that I went exactly once between my initial visit and when the membership expired.
Date: July 04, 2015 08:35AM
Speedy
Great thread! Except where DewGuy bragged about being 31 x 32.

You know I thought twice about posting that.
Date: July 04, 2015 08:42AM
JoeH
wurm

Yep, that is the faux double-stitched seam. Watch out, it can blow out under some stresses that the normally stitched jeans will stand up to. In my case it tore out while I was working on a porch repair.

The seam Wrangler uses normally for the inseam has no edges of the cloth exposed. The edges of both pieces of denim that meet are folded and then interlocked. The two rows of stitches end up going through four layers of cloth.

Unless I'm mistaken the Wranglers that Target sells are made this same way.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 04, 2015 11:05AM
Hi everyone,

I prefer jeans from Duluth Trading. They're made well, have heavier weight more durable material and Duluth stands behind their products.

The difference became incredibly apparent during the winter. I could feel the cold through the material of the cheap wrangler jeans I bought from Target. That didn't happen with the Duluth jeans.

[www.duluthtrading.com]

you'll find an even larger selection if you search for jeans via the search field on the web site.

I prefer jeans with a lower rise and the ballroom models fit me very well. Keep in mind, they tend to run long. Well worth the $$$.

Robert
Date: July 04, 2015 12:08PM
34 inseams in women's jeans.

Wow!

My mind runs amok.

the ballroom models

Um, some clarification is in order.

And maybe pics are not.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: July 04, 2015 01:04PM
Reminds me of an old line my dear departed father used to use when I was in my teens. "Those pants remind me of the Essex Hotel...no ballroom".
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: July 04, 2015 02:58PM
RAMd®d
34 inseams in women's jeans.

Wow!

My mind runs amok.

My guess is you don't run into too many tall ladies???? Dude...you need to get out more!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 03:00PM by Lizabeth.
Date: July 06, 2015 12:32AM
DewGuy
JoeH
wurm

Only if they changed recently. What is showing in the picture is not sewn through 4 layers. The faux seam starts with a simple seam like the other side of the leg. Then it is folded flat and gets two rows of top stitches so from the outside it looks like the double stitched flat felled seam used on the Target bought Wranglers I have. But is you look at the left edge of the inside view of the seam there is the raw edge of the denim, and the overcast stitching from the plain seam they started with is also visible. The actual stitches that hold the two pieces together are just a single row at the very right side of the inside of the seam
Date: July 06, 2015 10:55AM
JoeH
DewGuy
JoeH
wurm

Only if they changed recently. What is showing in the picture is not sewn through 4 layers. The faux seam starts with a simple seam like the other side of the leg. Then it is folded flat and gets two rows of top stitches so from the outside it looks like the double stitched flat felled seam used on the Target bought Wranglers I have. But is you look at the left edge of the inside view of the seam there is the raw edge of the denim, and the overcast stitching from the plain seam they started with is also visible. The actual stitches that hold the two pieces together are just a single row at the very right side of the inside of the seam

I just went and looked closely at the seams on the two pair that I currently own that were purchased from Target (3/17/12 & 9/28/13) and you're correct that they have the real double stitching not the faux stitching like in the picture.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020