advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blind Spot Mirror stick on recommendation?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: July 08, 2015 01:07PM
Hi,

Does anybody have a personal recommendation for a stick on blind spot mirror? Amazon seems to have a ton of them - very hard to sift through.

And, should the placement of the stick on be towards the outside edge of the side mirror or towards the inside edge?

Thanks.

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 01:31PM by pinkoos.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blind Spot Mirror stick on recommendation?
Posted by: norse
Date: July 08, 2015 01:24PM
I have this one. I like it because it is adjustable. I mounted at top right corner.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 01:25PM by norse.
Date: July 08, 2015 01:31PM
That looks interesting. Thanks.
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 08, 2015 01:37PM
I have the silver dollar sized round versions mounted in the lower outboard corner of each mirror. Seems to work fine for me (small pickup truck). I think I went too cheap, though. The mirroring is weathering on the passenger side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 01:38PM by TLB.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 08, 2015 01:45PM
norse
I have this one. I like it because it is adjustable. I mounted at top right corner.

[www.amazon.com]

How much adjustability is needed for a convex mirror?

EDIT: I see that that unit is a concave mirror - interesting choice. I'll also note that I am immediately skeptical of any product whose pitch includes the words "As seen on TV!"

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 01:46PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 08, 2015 02:17PM
I turn my head.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 08, 2015 02:24PM
Date: July 08, 2015 02:26PM
Thanks for the link. Will check that out.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 08, 2015 03:10PM

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 08, 2015 04:15PM
bazookaman
Avoiding the Blind Spot

I must have read this a long time ago because that exactly what I do. Mrs. Zealand likes the mirrors turned a bit closer to the car than that but they're still covering a lot more space than the "rear taillights from driving position" setup.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: July 08, 2015 04:25PM
What kind of car?

Some makes offer aspherical mirrors as OE.

But thanks to the glacial pace and stone-age philosophy of the US DOT toward many modern safety features (especially lighting), you'll have to source them as parts and install them yourself, which isn't difficult.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 08, 2015 10:35PM
I use an oval mirror from tanga $6 on top outside edge like oem mirror on newer car.
Date: July 08, 2015 10:45PM
I tried adjusting the side mirrors like in the Car Talk link and it's very difficult to get used to that.

I've been driving for almost 30 years - guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 09, 2015 04:18AM
N-OS X-tasy!
norse

[www.amazon.com]

EDIT: I see that that unit is a concave mirror - interesting choice. I'll also note that I am immediately skeptical of any product whose pitch includes the words "As seen on TV!"
"Concave" has got to be a typo in the description; If it was correct, the image would be reversed.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 09, 2015 07:33AM
Bimwad
What kind of car?

But thanks to the glacial pace and stone-age philosophy of the US DOT toward many modern safety features (especially lighting), you'll have to source them as parts and install them yourself, which isn't difficult.

Aspherical. I think that's my new favorite word.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 09, 2015 09:32AM
Thrift Store Scott
N-OS X-tasy!
norse

[www.amazon.com]

"Concave" has got to be a typo in the description; If it was correct, the image would be reversed.

I was thinking the same thing.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 09, 2015 09:33AM
davester
I turn my head.

Do you then cough?
Posted by: norse
Date: July 09, 2015 02:13PM
N-OS X-tasy!
norse

[www.amazon.com]

It's convex. Excellent product for an "As seen on TV" (no problems after 5 years). Same goes for the Showtime Rotisserie.
What blind spot.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 09, 2015 02:19PM
I turn my head.

And I've kept my mirrors adjusted as in b-man's link for the last 25+ years. I may have even posted about it here or at dm.

I saw the article in maybe Popular Science or Popular Mechanics. As a vehicle is leaving the range of say, the left mirror, it's on both the left and center mirrors. As it leaves the range of the center mirror, it's on both the center and right mirrors, until it's only on the right mirror.

But if you drive fast enough, it really doesn't matter where in your rearview they are.

It does mean you have to turn your head more when backing up. But I always have, just like I was taught in Driver's Ed, in school.

The other thing about mirrors, is they actually have to be used to be of any benefit, and that means regularly checked/scanned, even when not making a turning movement (includes lane changes).

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: What blind spot.
Date: July 09, 2015 02:22PM
Do you then cough?

No.

It's not a good look for the window and it's rude to passengers.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Re: What blind spot.
Date: July 09, 2015 02:24PM
I agree with turning one's head to check but, depending on the car make/model, the "blind spot" can be less or more than one is used to.

I just switched cars and my new car has a considerably worse "blind spot" (when turning one's head) than my previous car. Hence, the need for some assistance in addition to turning one's head.

I tried the method described yesterday on the drive home from work (about 18 miles, 75% freeway and 25% side roads) and found it extremely distracting. I'm seeing the sides of the road (either left or right) zooming past me with the way the mirrors are supposed to be setup. Yes, this could be something that takes time to get used to (again, I've been driving for 30 years or so), but why put myself through that if I can have the best of both worlds with the mirrors setup like I'm used to and a $5 or $10 stick on to provide "blind spot" coverage?

Thanks.
Date: July 09, 2015 02:25PM

I wish the DOT never allowed them for passenger vehicles.

So many people just don't get the concept of Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020