advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hackers remotely highjack a Jeep on the highway, from their couch. Watch video here
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 22, 2015 04:46PM
[video.wired.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hackers remotely highjack a Jeep on the highway, from their couch. Watch video here
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 22, 2015 05:14PM
Turning off the engine when the driver has no shoulder to pull over to seems kind of irresponsible, IMHO.

I wonder how many copycats we'll now be hearing about.

Northern California Coast
Re: Hackers remotely highjack a Jeep on the highway, from their couch. Watch video here
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 22, 2015 06:24PM
There's a firmware update to block this attack.

I wonder how many of the 471,000 Chrysler owners with this system are going hear about this, figure out how to find the download-page, copy the file to a flash drive and install the update.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 22, 2015 08:58PM
My wife owns one of the Jeeps this affects. She is out of town until Saturday but I'll be installing the update the same day she gets back. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Fiat-Chrysler to notify us.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: MEG
Date: July 22, 2015 09:31PM
Onamuji
I wonder how many of the 471,000 Chrysler owners with this system are going hear about this, figure out how to find the download-page, copy the file to a flash drive and install the update.

Well, at least one thanks to this post - thanks Space-Time and Onamuji smiling smiley

Edit - make that 2 ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 09:32PM by MEG.
Date: July 22, 2015 10:31PM
FYI: You can see whether your car is one for which they're offering a firmware update by entering the VIN here
[www.driveuconnect.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 22, 2015 10:35PM
Fiat Chrysler must be @#$%& bricks.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 10:36PM by Speedy.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 23, 2015 04:51AM
Chrysler has know about this for years and done what it could to suppress the info. The tech info has been out there for a while but until recently only been of interest to auto geeks.

Regardless of the outcome of this brou-ha-ha, the fact is that nothing computer reliant is sacrocant. It'll get worse long before it gets better.

For Onamuji and others in a vulnerable position, you might just consider pulling the brain (chip) and replacing it with the latest version - or trade it in for a Subaru.
Date: July 23, 2015 06:57AM
RgrF
For Onamuji and others in a vulnerable position...

Don't worry about me. I stopped buying Chrysler a long time ago.

'Anyone remember when they made vehicles with consideration for the consumer-value and driving experience? Yeah, feels like a pipe-dream.

My mom made a comment recently that had me laughing. My car is going to be paid off soon and we had discussed holding on to it to save money or trading it for a new one to save on maintenance and start over with a fresh warranty. They're discontinuing this line, so I won't be able to get the same make/model and I was Googling for vehicles in the same class. My mom saw a Chevy pictured in my browser window and said with some distress, "You're not going to buy American, are you?!"

She was concerned for my safety.

I quickly appraised the MPG, the expensive package-upgrades necessary to get the most basic comforts in that vehicle and the cheap, ugly hard-plastic interior and assured her that there was no way that I was going to buy that car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 06:57AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 23, 2015 10:34AM
Why on earth does a car need to be connected to the internet?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 23, 2015 10:53AM
davester

I'll add some nuance to that and say, why on earth does a cars "non-communications/navigation" system need to be connected to the internet?
Having a cars entertainment, navigation, and communications connected to the internet is well and good...
Having those systems have root access to the "local user" systems is just plain stupid.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 23, 2015 11:04AM
davester

I was wondering a few things along the same lines.

Does this car have a 24/7 Cellular Data connection? Who is paying for that? And does it have a static IP, how is someone able to specifically identify that car to connect to it?

Also wondering about taking control of the steering? Does this car have drive by wire electric steering with no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the front wheels? Is this for some self-parking feature?

Same for the brakes, no mechanical linkage if they could be disabled?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 23, 2015 11:24AM
I was left with some serious questions since we own the car in question.

It turns out my wife's 2014 Cherokee is not in danger since she did not get the upgraded 8.4 UConnect system. The 8.4 has integrated GPS both for mapping and location (like Find my iPhone), I can only assume it needs a static connection for that to work.

However the smaller system she has does not offer those features. Hers can not be hacked remotely since it is not online. As for steering, brakes, etc.. I can speak to the upgraded models but hers has mechanical linkage - I have seen it. I am really curious how that linkage was done on the affected cars.

You would think the system would have been set up for automatic upgrades where the system checks and downloads like many software packages do.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: billb
Date: July 23, 2015 12:14PM
before you know it someone will be bragging they've been able to manipulate a plane ....

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 12:15PM by billb.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 23, 2015 02:53PM
billb
before you know it someone will be bragging they've been able to manipulate a plane ....

There was a guy who claimed that he was able to hack the in-flight entertainment system and take control of a plane, it was in the news about a year ago.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 24, 2015 10:54AM
Looks like they've just issued a recall of 1.4 Million vehicles to address this problem.

[www.usatoday.com]
Date: July 24, 2015 06:47PM
There's another way to hack it now: Through the digital radio via a custom FM radio signal. No cellular or WiFi signal necessary. Unknown as yet whether the firmware patch fixes this vulnerability.

[www.theregister.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020