Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
For those of you with shared hosting, a question
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: August 10, 2015 11:12AM
Poll
Which of the following do you have experience with and would recommend before the others?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
3 votes were received.
a2hosting 1

33%
Total Choice Hosting 1

33%
inmotion hosting 1

33%

I've narrowed down my shared hosting choices to the top three based on feedback from other members of this forum throughout its history.

One thing I've never done before on a shared hosting platform (and I believe shouldn't be a problem), but wanted to validate with those who may have attempted it: In hosting several sites, can I have some sites on WP installs (which I'll be doing through a cPanel) and some just as HTML uploaded to the correct folder destination (such as those made through RapidWeaver or Flux)?

Thanks for all your opinions, feedback and suggestions!

~A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 11:13AM by tahoedrew.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: For those of you with shared hosting, a question
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 10, 2015 11:23AM
Most shared hosts will let you host different sites - some static, and some dynamic. I can't speak for the hosts you mentioned. For some reason Inmotion caught my eye as I was thinking it had a bad rep. I noticed on yelp it has a lot of bad reviews [www.yelp.com]

For basic shared hosting, I have experience with Dreamhost, Pair, GoDaddy, Media Temple... and a few others. I'd avoid GoDaddy and Media Temple. Pair is pretty bulletproof. Dreamhost has been better as of late, but have changed their terms so they're restrictive on what you can do there. I also recently signed up for a bit better WordPress support with SiteGround and so far it's pretty good.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: clay
Date: August 10, 2015 11:35AM
I have been with a2 for close to 10 years...first on a shared plan, now as a reseller. All hosts I've been with have had issues at one time or another. But on the whole, I find that the industry seems to be maturing, and established/respected hosting companies will do well for most needs.

I used my shared plan with a2 to host upwards of 6 different wordpress sites, a couple other cms-based sites and then a couple of static sites, all from within the same account. You'll only run into problems doing this if one or more of your sites is especially resource-hungry or popular...you may end up pushing the limits of resources that a host puts on most shared accounts. "Unlimited" is only unlimited until the point where your account is pushing whatever category/criteria that your host has put a limit on. ALL hosts have limits, but they unfortunately all have to offer "unlimited" specs in order to compete with the other bottom feeders.

If you go with A2 and want me to give you a referral, let me know.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2015 11:50AM
Never heard of the second 2.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 10, 2015 01:00PM
13 years of shared hosting with Pair, extremely happy with their service.

Posted by: Drew
Date: August 10, 2015 01:44PM
Not on your list, but very happy with DreamHost the past few years.
Posted by: John B.
Date: August 10, 2015 08:50PM
Have had a small business site on Total Choice for 11 years. Basically a pretty straightforward experience. They had a hiccup a couple months ago when they were experiencing a DDOS attack where they kept changing mail server IP addresses to get control of the situation...interrupted mail connectivity about 3 times over the course of a week while MX records were catching up. But other than that no issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020