Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stair Runner
Posted by: kap
Date: October 30, 2006 01:06AM
I got the scare of my life tonight!
S/O took a hard fall down our wood staircase. She was out for a second. Thanks goodness, she's recovering now. We want to avoid the recurrence. What the best and affordable stairs runner we can install on the slippery steps? TiA

Kap

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stair Runner
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 30, 2006 06:17AM
Was she wearing shoes or just socks? I find the best thing is to just wear shoes or go barefoot when dealing with hardwood.

Carpet can be slippery too, when wearing socks.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: October 30, 2006 08:34AM
Cheapest way is tread tape (like sandpaper), but not attractive.

I think you could get adhesive carpet rectangles for the treads, too, but not sure.

Otherwise, hit the carpet store, and be prepared to pay for installation.

Date: October 30, 2006 09:48AM
mikebw,
Yes, she was wearing socks. Both of us have fallen off the stairs wearing shoes! Our our is a hundred year old so the steps are wide and low. Perhaps I should get us those anti-slippery socks.

jimbrady,
We are willing to pay to get the carpet installation done. It will be money well-spent.
I have seen stair steps with only two feet wide carpet running up the middle of the steps instead of covering the steps entirely.

SoCal for now.
Date: October 30, 2006 10:12AM
kap
I have seen stair steps with only two feet wide carpet running up the middle of the steps instead of covering the steps entirely.

That's the ticket--you aren't limited to carpet manufactured AS a runner, though. All carpet merchants have piles of remnants that might do the job and cost way less.

Date: October 30, 2006 11:15AM
jimbrady,
You're right using a carpet piece on each step instead one long one like a runner will save us money. Now the trick is how to adhere them to the steps. I will check out our local carpet place. We used their service before for our first home.

SoCal for now.
Date: October 30, 2006 11:29AM
kap
jimbrady,
You're right using a carpet piece on each step instead one long one like a runner will save us money. Now the trick is how to adhere them to the steps. I will check out our local carpet place. We used their service before for our first home.

That's very true if the product exists--if not, not sure how pricey to have appropriate rectangles cut and bound, otherwise... BUT...

By "remnants" I meant large pieces of leftovers from even larger jobs the carpeteer has done. We managed to do our stair runner and the upstairs hallway (wall to wall) with a remnant

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 30, 2006 11:32AM
Glad she's doing all right. My lovely bride went down the stairs and took an ambulance ride to a neuro-trauma center. She's fine now, except for short term / long term memory loss.

I've seen a very nicely done stair carpet runner installation with little brass bars holding the carpet down at the foot of the risers- it looked really classy. Your simplest approach may be to install tred-safe material (like self-stick sanding paper). Yes, it won't look sexy, but you can just pull it off and refinish when you go to sell the house.

The main benefit of carpeted stairs is that they're not as hard ! My then 3 month old son and I went down the basement stairs- he in my arms. We were bumped and bruised, but fortunately he was fine, just scared. Me, I damn near killed myself throwing myself headfirst down the stairs under him after he fell out of my arms about 1/4 of the way down. Caught him and landed in a heap at the bottom all curled around the little guy. I remember thinking- well, if I die today, at least he's going to be all right.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: October 30, 2006 11:45AM
You can buy runner by the foot at most big box store - Lowes Home Depot, Menards etc ...
They range from plain to some that are faux oriental patterns that look good in old houses.
I have done this in the past - as recently as last year at my uncles house.

FWIW - I think it is a lot less work to install one long piece instead of lots of small ones.
If you install small ones you have all those cut edges to deal with and it looks kind of shoddy
plus you have all the work of cutting them.

With a single piece you just get a rough measurement tread + rise x number of stairs
and but a little extra for insurance,

It is easy to staple in place - usually where the tread meets the riser and
again just under the the nose of the tread at the top of the rise.

You can also use some carpet adhesive but if the stairs are otherwise nice I wouldn't.
A better option would be carpet tape at the front edge of the tread,

Other option is pre glued carpet tiles which are generally about 12" wide.
Butt 2 next to each other for a 24" wide piece and cut for fit on the back
side where the tread and riser meet to hide the cut edge,

Google stair runners or stair carpet rods too - lots of online stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2006 11:48AM by lafinfil.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 30, 2006 12:27PM
If the stairs are poly or varnish, you could recoat them and drop sand in the wet finish.
Kinda rough though.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 30, 2006 01:01PM
I bought carpet specifically made to go on stair treads at Home Depot years ago when our old dog had trouble on bare treads. The package had about 11 pieces, each with double sided tape already affixed to the carpet underside. They stuck well for about 10 years now. Installing them was a snap and, I expect I could pull them up without much trouble. Check your local home centers or carpet stores.
Date: October 30, 2006 01:17PM

Sorry I don't know how to turn the image right side up. There are three more steps after the landing.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 30, 2006 01:29PM

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 30, 2006 01:34PM
get a stairlift or a home elevator =)

[www.acmehomeelevator.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020