advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Greetings from Berlin
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 05, 2015 04:33PM
Having a wonderful time! Berlin is a wonderful city. It's totally easy to get around on foot, bike, tram, and train. My host doesn't drive at all: no need. It's pretty amazing. We've been down to Wansee for a day on the beach, to some museums and antique fairs, to the Tiergarten which is just gorgeous, a guided tour of Tempelhof airport which is massive (the landing field is now open space), over to Dessau to see the Bauhaus, and to the oldest biergarten in Berlin. I know it's partly because of the exchange rate, but this place is damned cheap too! Not many pix to post yet because I am shooting raw and processing in Preview on my friends laptop is a drag. But I'll post more when I get back. Next week over to Essen to tour the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex (2nd UNESCO World Heritage Site this trip) and then down to Friedrichshafen to see the Zeppelin Museum, the Dornier Museum, and have an excursion on the Zeppelin NT.

The biergarten:

Me at guess where:

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Greetings from Berlin
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 05, 2015 05:24PM
Uncle Wig
Me at guess where:

I have no clue smiling smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 05, 2015 05:24PM
How do we know it's you? You could be some computer bot. Say something that only you would say here.

Wait, I know. Post those pics Paul and I asked for......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2015 05:25PM by Racer X.
Date: September 05, 2015 05:27PM
tell us more about your host
Date: September 05, 2015 05:28PM
and I see some really young people in The biergarten
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 05, 2015 05:37PM
Looks like a lot of those people are talking to one another. They don't have their face buried in a device like everyone, seemingly, in the US.

I used to say that I was happy I saw Europe before anyone had a cell phone. Now I say I am happy I saw the USA before everyone had a cell phone.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 05, 2015 06:20PM
Did you get to the Dahlem Museum? Some great stuff there and the area is really beautiful. I am so envious...
Posted by: kanesa
Date: September 05, 2015 08:10PM
I think you can drink beer at 16 in Germany.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 05, 2015 08:22PM
Did you unintentionally pose with the Bauhaus sign in the bg or was that by design?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 05, 2015 08:37PM
Ammo
Did you unintentionally pose with the Bauhaus sign in the bg or was that by design?

I know that there's a pun in there somewhere!?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 05, 2015 10:33PM
Cool pics. thumbs up

If that's the oldest beer garden, can you imagine just how much beer has been enjoyed there over the years? eek2 smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 05, 2015 11:13PM
Love Berlin - and the public transportation IS awesome.
Date: September 06, 2015 06:37AM
Oh yes: by design. Pun intended. I studied design in school so this is like Mecca for me. We went to the Neues Museum for a good dose of antiquities, especially Egyptian. They have the famous bust of Nefertiti (no photography allowed) which is stunning. We also went to a small design museum called Museum der Dinge [www.museumderdinge.de] which is focused on the Werkbund and, as you can guess, a fairly random collection of Things. Loved it!

Sorry, no bier maids. I guess that's a Munich thing? Here's lunch at a gorgeous cafe in the Tiergarten. Say what you will about the appearance of that sausage (I was a bit startled) but it was delicious. Kind of similar to a bologna, but way better and with a nice peppery spice to it. Not heavy but satisfying. The pickle is slightly sweet and with the pickled onions, mustard and bread it was a fantastic lunch for about 7.5 euros.

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 06, 2015 06:58AM
Yeah, I am not going to comment on what you ate for lunch. eek2 smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: September 06, 2015 07:38AM
rgG
Yeah, I am not going to comment on what you ate for lunch. eek2 smiley

Yes, but I really want to try some, the older I get, the more adventurous I get, or maybe less inhibited.

Enjoy, try everything!!

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: DP
Date: September 06, 2015 07:54AM
Have a great time! Can you shoot RAW+JPEG? Or take up too much card space?
Date: September 06, 2015 08:13AM
DP
Have a great time! Can you shoot RAW+JPEG? Or take up too much card space?

I was at first but it seems like overkill, although I do think I have enough card space. Preview can open a DNG and do some basic stuff like exposure and stuff if I save a TIFF first. But I'll be posting a gallery somewhere when I get home, besides what I post here. The lunch photos are shot on the Pentax MX-1 which overall I'm pleased with, although it struggles in some high contrast, backlit scenes, or bright cloudy skies. But if I underexpose those a bit and pull up the shadows it does ok.

The sausage is called fleischwurst im ring so it's one half of the ring it comes in. It is a kind of bologna after all. [www.asausagehastwo.com]

Tonight my host is taking me out to a nice restaurant where I can get a proper schnitzel with potato salad & cucumber salad. [www.altwien-berlin.de]

Posted by: DP
Date: September 06, 2015 10:03AM
Excellent! Sounds like a great time is being had by all. I'll have to get there one day as my Dad's family is German. Bavaria.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020