advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Poll: Do you put a date stamp on your pictures?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 15, 2015 11:08AM
Poll
48 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Do you put a date stamp on your pictures?

I'm more interested in answers from people with (young) kids, but anybody can answer.

I find that the date stamp helps when going back through old pics of our kids b/c it tells us quickly and easily exactly how old they were at the time of the picture. I know this info is buried in the EXIF, but that requires looking it up.

I also find that it helps on vacation photos, etc. b/c it, again, tells us exactly when the photo was taken and, thus, when we were on a particular vacation.

Anyway, any thoughts for or against would be appreciated along with the poll vote.

Thanks.

New site design! - My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Poll: Do you put a date stamp on your pictures?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: September 15, 2015 11:13AM
I just use iPhoto so the date and and time are right there in the info panel. I liked it a lot better pre-iPhoto 11, when it was in the left sidebar, but it’s still handy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2015 11:16AM
....prefer it to a tramp stamp.....but it depends if my date is willing to stamp it....or not.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 15, 2015 11:24AM
i put no because i know my digital photos don't have them. however, in the last few days i have gone through photos and photos albums made in the analog age. those time stamps are very useful and i am now bemoaning their loss. maybe it doesn't matter. as i said to my son we now take thousands of pictures and never look at them. sure, there were days when the undeveloped rolls would pile up but eventually they became something tangible that we could leaf through. that kind of serendipity is gone. i have made a few photo books and i love them but i wish the dates were on the pictures. sure, i could look them up but it's just not the same thing.

so, is there a way to have a date stamp visible on iPhone photos especially if you're printing/photobooking them?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 15, 2015 11:25AM
I always found it odd to see time/date stamps on negatives. It definitely detracts from an image. Some cameras could imprint date/time/exposure information above/below/between frames, or on the last negative or two of a roll. This is a much better option. I know that you can't do this with digital, but you could add some sort of date tag I suppose.
Date: September 15, 2015 11:28AM
freeradical
I always found it odd to see time/date stamps on negatives. It definitely detracts from an image.

what's really telling for me is that i don't disagree with this statement. in the past i did feel that the date stamp detracted from the image. now i want them back. i see a value and willing to make the trade off - or at least have it as an option.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: September 15, 2015 11:33AM
graylocks
so, is there a way to have a date stamp visible on iPhone photos especially if you're printing/photobooking them?

There are a couple of good apps I've come across and tried out.

The one I kept is:

DateStamper

The other one I tried but did not keep is:

Pic Navi
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 15, 2015 11:35AM
Isn't that stuff in the EXIF data, and the actual file creation date anyway? Even in Preview, it is there under Tools>Info

And if you have actual prints made, like at Costco, they print the print date on the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2015 11:37AM by Racer X.
Date: September 15, 2015 11:37AM
Racer X
Isn't that stuff in the EXIF data, and the actual file creation date anyway?

And if you have actual prints made, like at Costco, they print the print date on the back.

Yes it is but, again, it requires extra effort to look it up or, if the pictures are posted online on a sharing site, it requires more effort to figure out when it was taken.

I like the immediate nature of just having the date stamp in the bottom right corner.

We rarely if ever get prints made anymore.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 15, 2015 12:02PM
It is the File Creation Date so for me it's redundant, aside from the stamp's detraction from the image.

My files are organized in the Finder by date and event (my digiphotos & organization scheme predate iPhoto, etc. by years) so that information is always attached to the folder containing the pictures.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 15, 2015 12:04PM
I let the camera do it. So much easier.

Pics I take with our little Canon has the date stamp turned on. It helps to have the correct date set, too. :-)
My Nikon, no.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 15, 2015 12:07PM
I agree with the sentiment that just being able to see a date on the print is so much more useful than not, but also that it detracts from the image. I shoot RAW so much of the time, then edit and save out to new JPG files which don't carry the EXIF data from the original, so there would be no date information to find unless I added it.

I mostly don't worry about dates. A lot of photos end up on Facebook which can be found later in the timeline, or if I make an album I will include the date in the title.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 15, 2015 12:25PM
I see why some may find it convenient, but I would never want this permanently emblazoned on all of my images. I know this doesn't help when flipping through printed albums or prints, but if you don't want to "dig" into the metadata, maybe you could systematically rename your images using software. Many programs offer batch renaming based on capture date and other variables.

Every time I import into Lightroom, my photos are renamed in the format:

YYYY-MM-DD Event Name ###

For example:

2015-08-19 First Day of School 001

In fact, if you do want to print the dates, you could always set a preset to watermark the photos after the fact without harming the originals.
Date: September 15, 2015 12:34PM
mikebw
I agree with the sentiment that just being able to see a date on the print is so much more useful than not, but also that it detracts from the image. I shoot RAW so much of the time, then edit and save out to new JPG files which don't carry the EXIF data from the original, so there would be no date information to find unless I added it.

That's an excellent point. In addition, back in the bad old OS 9 days in 2001 I used a thunbnailer which not only changed the modification date but also changed the creation date. I have a roughly 1 year swath of pictures with no accurate creation date (09/29/2001 on all of them) though with a bit of correlation with events, etc. at the time, I have everything to within a few days and most to the correct date. Date stamps would have rendered this annoyance a non-issue. BTW, that event is what caused me to start using my current Finder organization system for photos.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 15, 2015 12:35PM
I agree with the functionality of a data stamp, but I really, really dislike it.

For me, it just ruins an otherwise good or great picture.

There are times when aesthetics are not a consideration and a date stamp is very handy, in fact an attribute. But that's for specific use cases.

Of course if the stamp low enough or one's composition allows for cropping, the stamp can be useful initially, then cropped out later. This would be helpful when sifting through piles of "will process later" pics.

I have fond memories of the photo albums with black pages and envelopes of "photo corners" glued into place, with a caption written in white ink.

Digital photos, online or on local storage, offer a lot of advantages but lack that tangible intimacy of the "analog" photo album.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 15, 2015 01:16PM
RAMd®d
Digital photos, online or on local storage, offer a lot of advantages but lack that tangible intimacy of the "analog" photo album.

yes. that's exactly what i just discovered. sitting with my son on his birthday with the photo album wouldn't have been the same with a tablet.

Date: September 15, 2015 01:38PM
graylocks
RAMd®d

yes. that's exactly what i just discovered. sitting with my son on his birthday with the photo album wouldn't have been the same with a tablet.

Here's the other side:

On Sunday we came across a set of older pictures which didn't feature our youngest and he was looking for pics of him somewhere. Pick up iPad and tap "his" website online with pics of him. So all of 15 seconds later he was enjoying seeing pictures of himself. That's faster and easier than the photo album.

There are big advantages to both ways of viewing pics and both require effort. Those online pics were not only chosen and processed but then uploaded to a (extremely simple) website of my manufacture; more effort than a simple Flickr upload.
Posted by: mlfrank
Date: September 15, 2015 02:27PM
On the front lower left or lower right I will put a copyright with the year:

Anyone can look at the metadata for the date/time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2015 02:31PM
.......doesn't one need to get a date first......before getting a date.....stamp.....?!?!?!?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: artie67
Date: September 15, 2015 03:37PM
NewtonMP2100, your mother is calling and the street lights are on.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 15, 2015 04:36PM
That's faster and easier than the photo album.

Nobody suggested otherwise.

There are big advantages to both ways of viewing pics and both require effort.

Of course there are.

Again, neither of us suggested otherwise.

We were talking about one aspect of a medium, which, as far as I'm concerned still stands. For me, that aspect gets more weight than convenience.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 16, 2015 12:41AM
In the old days, it wasn't even an option, so it's a moot point. With the advent of "date back's" for film cameras it became interesting. I liked dating some set-up and/or reference pics to keep a record, but for artistic shots the date was best left off. When digicams evolved, again it's moot, since the date data can be used to add/remove from the pic at will, with all the options.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020