advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Experienced my first big earthquake. 8.4 magnitude
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 16, 2015 08:35PM
Coquimbo is about 100 miles away from where we live in Vina del Mar, Chile. Our 17 story, 30 year old, apartment building swayed and shook for about a minute, maybe longer, long enough for me to slowly get off the throne (poor timing) and stumble into the hallway. We are on the 8th floor. No damage although the pictures, etc. on the wall were moving quite a bit. My wife, who is from earthquake prone Mexico City, was quite alarmed.

Having never felt anything this strong and therefore not knowing how strong it actually was (we had a 5.2 centered about 60 miles away about a month ago), we proceeded with our evening plans to go to the mall which is three blocks away. People were streaming out of the mall and in minutes it was shut tight. People looked really worried. We are located on low ground, maybe 20 feet in elevation so there was a tsunami warning and evacuation. My local SIMed iPhone would alarm with the tsunami warning every minute or so. We headed back to the safety of our apartment. About a quarter million people live in the evacuation area. I expect it to be precautionary only because a lot of time has already passed although a small wave is possible. Reports of two meter waves now. Too dark to see even though we are just across the road from the Pacific.

We only saw one injury, a young woman limping on what looked like a injured ankle. She did have assistance. The TV news reports one dead from a collapsed wall.

The aftershocks continue every 15 minutes or so. Just now we had perhaps a 6 mag (I'm rapidly becoming experienced) that shook our building for about 45 seconds.

This screenshot says 8.2 but they have since updated it to 8.4.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Experienced my first big earthquake. 8.4 magnitude
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 16, 2015 08:40PM
Speaking as a SoCal native: That is a BIG earthquake. You are very fortunate not to have been closer to the epicenter.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 16, 2015 08:41PM
Good heavens, man, what did you have for lunch??
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: September 16, 2015 08:44PM
Yeah that's a big one, the farther away from you the better.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Date: September 16, 2015 08:47PM
So far: 8.4, 6.3, 6.1, 5.8, 7.0, 5.8, 5.3, 5.2, 5.0, 4.9, 4.6, 6.2 and the hits keep on coming.

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 16, 2015 08:50PM
Stay safe! I thought you were from MN
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Any one of those aftershocks had the capacity to do major damage on its own.

It is what it is.
Acer
Good heavens, man, what did you have for lunch??

Reminds me, I didn't finish what I started earlier.

Date: September 16, 2015 08:51PM
space-time
Stay safe! I thought you were from MN

In Chile for 5 months with my wife who is leading a study-abroad group of students from her university, ending in the middle of December.

Posted by: steve...
Date: September 16, 2015 08:59PM
Good you were 100 miles away. That is a HUGE earthquake -- I think we will be hearing of much destruction and loss of lives.

Northern California Coast
Date: September 16, 2015 09:08PM
steve...
Good you were 100 miles away. That is a HUGE earthquake -- I think we will be hearing of much destruction and loss of lives.

It was off-shore a bit. Locally, some waves are pushing moored fishing boats around with some damage reported.

The epicenter was 100 miles NNW of where I am in Viña del Mar.

Posted by: Frank
Date: September 16, 2015 09:11PM
I'd be wary of staying in that building. How is it constructed? After a dozen hefty shocks it could be quite damaged.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 16, 2015 09:24PM
Stay safe, good luck!
Date: September 16, 2015 09:26PM
Frank
I'd be wary of staying in that building. How is it constructed? After a dozen hefty shocks it could be quite damaged.

It is well constructed and, according to our building super, has survived three 8+ mag quakes since 1985 when it was built. Chile is the most economically developed country in our hemisphere after the USA and Canada. They also have a fairly honest civil service. I was in Mexico City shortly after their big quake in '85 and saw 20 and 30 story buildings leaning on a neighboring tower. The joke was that you could tell a government building because it was leaning on a private building because the government buildings were built under the watchful eyes of bought and paid for inspectors whereas the private buildings were built under the watchful eyes of private inspectors hired by the building owners. I walked by a construction site a few days ago (just across the street) and saw a testing company doing compaction tests on a minor road repair where they had accessed a water line for the construction site, where they are building a 19 story apartment building. We would not check the compaction on such a small dig in Minnesota, and it shows.

No electric power blinks, internet steady.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 09:41PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 16, 2015 09:27PM
That's a good bit bigger than the biggest quake I've ever been in... ( a 7.2 in '92). An 8.anything is a big sum'batch!
Take care of yourself, and take a GOOD CLOSE LOOK at the building you're in! Especially if it's made of brick!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: September 16, 2015 09:30PM
For reference, I was about 100mi from the 1989 bay area quake and I could only BARELY feel it. That was a whopper of a quake you just experienced.
Date: September 16, 2015 09:33PM
They build them to float with tanks of water on the top floor to counter the shifting of the building. I haven't seen them, only heard about them second hand because my Spanish is inadequate to the task. I have no idea exactly how they work except that apparently they act like your arms do when you balance yourself, shifting water mass around.

Paul F.
That's a good bit bigger than the biggest quake I've ever been in... ( a 7.2 in '92). An 8.anything is a big sum'batch!
Take care of yourself, and take a GOOD CLOSE LOOK at the building you're in! Especially if it's made of brick!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 10:25PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 16, 2015 09:40PM
I've seen documentaries that show that kind of "floating foundation"... Very cool, and very effective!

This I can say from experience... Don't have your bed under a bookshelf during aftershocks. Or at least put paperbacks on it... (Learned that in '80...)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 09:42PM by Paul F..
Date: September 16, 2015 10:21PM
Nothing over the bed! But my wife is in no mood to sleep as we are experiencing aftershocks in the 5 range.

The odd thing is I feel like the building is shaking when I know that it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 10:22PM by Speedy.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 16, 2015 10:23PM
Stay safe, that sounds completely nerve wracking.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 16, 2015 10:24PM
Good to hear there wasn't much damage local to you. BBC says 15ft/4.5m waves on the coast. I wonder if there will be other earthquakes around the Rim of Fire, or at other antinodes around the world.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 10:24PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: September 16, 2015 10:29PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Good to hear there wasn't much damage local to you. BBC says 15ft/4.5m waves on the coast. I wonder if there will be other earthquakes around the Rim of Fire, or at other antinodes around the world.

You can check here:

[www.emsc-csem.org]

Date: September 16, 2015 11:03PM
The media is reporting the 8.4 lasted four minutes. We are still getting tremors in the 5 range fairly frequently but not every 15 minutes. I'm still getting used to the building moving around.

Posted by: blooz
Date: September 16, 2015 11:07PM
I'm glad you're safe. I think you are in a bad place for earthquakes. Please be careful.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 16, 2015 11:21PM
Pretty busy in Chile, 7 quakes over 6.0 in 6 hours.
earthquake.usgs.gov

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 16, 2015 11:21PM
Whew, hang on Speedy! I know quakes from having been in Japan so many years. Stay safe!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: September 16, 2015 11:35PM
Just had a 6.2 followed 15 minutes later by a 6.6. It's 1:40 am here and I have a feeling we won't get much rest tonight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 11:38PM by Speedy.
Date: September 16, 2015 11:57PM
Speedy
So far: 8.4, 6.3, 6.1, 5.8, 7.0, 5.8, 5.3, 5.2, 5.0, 4.9, 4.6, 6.2 and the hits keep on coming.

Seems it was only an 8.2. Followed by 6.4, 6.1, 5.8, 7.0, 5.8, 5.3, 5.2, 5.0, 5.0, 5.6, 4.9, 4.6, 5.2, 5.6, 5.6, 4.5, 4.8, 4.8, 5.2, 4.8, 4.9, 5.1, 4.4, 4.6, 6.2, 5.3, 6.6, 5.4, 5.5, 5.2.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 17, 2015 12:01AM
I wonder if that part of the earth is just going to break off.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 17, 2015 12:13AM
Speedy
Nothing over the bed! But my wife is in no mood to sleep as we are experiencing aftershocks in the 5 range.

I think there is only 1 thing to do then. RIDE THEM OUT!!!!!!

smiley-excited001
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 17, 2015 01:08AM
We just received a tsunami warning here in Dana Point. We were suitably shook up about it until I was able to find a clarification. Apparently, they are expecting a wave of about one foot.

What a relief!

Based on our initial reaction, I'd say that you are fortunate that worse hasn't befallen you. I'm sure that being on the potty was both scary and appropriate. No doubt I might have pooped my pants if a 8.4 earthquake hit around here.

I'm not sure what precautions you can take at this point, but I will be keeping an eye on the conditions in your neck of the woods.

Stay safe, Speedy!

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 05:57AM by GeneL.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: September 17, 2015 01:13AM
stay safe

Bryan
Posted by: DP
Date: September 17, 2015 06:26AM
Wear a helmet and stay safe!
Posted by: max
Date: September 17, 2015 07:25AM
blooz
I'm glad you're safe. I think you are in a bad place for earthquakes.
Actually it is a better place for earthquakes than California, they build for them to a higher standard than we do....
Posted by: August West
Date: September 17, 2015 07:40AM

+1, Good luck.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 17, 2015 09:21AM
Anything close to a minute at that magnitude would seem like an eternity. The big quake in Japan in 1995 was "only" about 20 seconds; thought it would never end.

Glad you're safe!

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 17, 2015 10:24AM
[earthquake.usgs.gov]#{%22feed%22%3A%221day_m25%22%2C%22search%22%3Anull%2C%22listFormat%22%3A%22default%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%22newest%22%2C%22basemap%22%3A%22grayscale%22%2C%22autoUpdate%22%3Atrue%2C%22restrictListToMap%22%3Atrue%2C%22timeZone%22%3A%22utc%22%2C%22mapposition%22%3A[[-32.34516180956194%2C286.97662353515625]%2C[-30.550435135095267%2C290.49224853515625]]%2C%22overlays%22%3A{%22plates%22%3Atrue}%2C%22viewModes%22%3A{%22list%22%3Atrue%2C%22map%22%3Atrue%2C%22settings%22%3Afalse%2C%22help%22%3Afalse}}

When I left work yesterday there were 6 quakes in a roughly 200km^2 area, all greater than magnitude 6. When I returned today and refreshed that same screen there were 43 quakes, all greater than magnitude 4.7. So, yeah, that area must feel like a small sailboat in a squall.

It doesn't look like my link worked, but you can zoom in for yourself. What a cluster.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: September 17, 2015 11:49AM
The tremors continued through the night and to the present. Coquimbo is 100 miles away and Valparaiso is a twin city to Viña del Mar where we live.

[www.emsc-csem.org]

Some were centered closer including a 5.3 and a 5.4 offshore from us. They lasted less than a minute unlike the 4 minute long 8.3 yesterday. Those awakened me. That and our phones going off four times at 4am to notify us that the tsunami warning was ended. We now pay little mind to our building shaking from the more distant 4 and 5 mag quakes. The only way I can reliably tell that the building is shaking from the smaller tremors is to watch a mirror move on the wall. Otherwise my mind sometimes perceives movement that does not exist or is very minor.

Here is a low resolution (73 Kb) panoramic view taken through our apartment window with my iPhone5.

As you can see, all looks well here. If your display and browser window are wide enough (or save the photo so you can scroll it), you can see a couple of cranes working where a 19 story apartment building is going up. Actually, the cranes are not working today! Between the cranes you can see in the distance a small peninsula and just beyond that, out of view, is a small town about 3 miles away that had a 4 meter tsunami with damage along the shoreline where there were mostly small shops and restaurants that sustained considerable damage. The small town sits on a hill so most of it was fine. Likely we were protected by the rocky peninsula.

Near the epicenter of the big quake there was a 5 meter tsunami that did considerable damage to a small town.

The apartment building in the right of the shot is identical to ours. We have no damage to our apartment.

You can see a fence between us and the ocean where the beach begins. There was a lot of shoreline damage earlier last month when a stationary low pressure system parked itself to the the northwest of us. The resulting surf did far more damage than the quake did here, washing away some shoreline businesses and damaging the metro system. It was the worst surf since the '60's because they do not have hurricanes due to the cold Humboldt Current bringing up water from the Antarctic. Earlier we had been using a very nice walkway that was severely damaged. Beyond the walkway, closer to the ocean, was a boardwalk that was mostly destroyed from the pounding of the surf. And the fence was installed as a result. They have just begun demolition of the walk and removal of debris including some massive concrete blocks from a collapsed seawall.

The death toll is reportedly low but indeterminate at this time. We hear only of a 16 y.o. girl who was killed when a wall reportedly fell on her.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 12:33PM by Speedy.
Date: September 17, 2015 12:53PM
This weekend includes Chile's Independence Day wit lots of celebrations planned. Most everything including stores, the mall and many restaurants close for two days.

One grocery store reportedly locked its doors to keep shoppers from leaving the store without paying during the big quake, as merchandise crashed and was destroyed around them.

125 aftershocks so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 12:56PM by Speedy.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 17, 2015 05:56PM
Looks beautiful and it's Winter there! Is that a beach you can use?
Date: September 17, 2015 08:25PM
DP
Looks beautiful and it's Winter there! Is that a beach you can use?

Not for swimming, at least not by me. The water is too cold at around 57F. I have seen a couple of locals in the water swimming. Some of my wife's students help children learn to surf and everyone is in wet suits. But the sand is nice and goes out quite aways into the ocean. At least the cold means no sharks. Even in the summer it would be a cold swim due to the current always coming from the south where it mixes with Antarctic waters.

Even though the city is about as far from the equator as Dallas, it's average highs in the summer are only in the mid 70's.

Date: September 18, 2015 04:17AM
Dang things are moving south, i.e., getting closer to the main population areas and to me:

[earthquake.usgs.gov]

Yesterday most were further north, west of Coquimbo on the map, now there are more in the south. One, a 6.3, just gave our building another good shake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 06:04AM by Speedy.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 18, 2015 05:50AM
I have to say, Speedy, that when I just checked in to see how you are doing, I find myself worrying a lot more for you.

I know what it was like to experience a single relatively strong quake in the San Fernando Valley, many years ago. I became so sensitive to a building moving even the slightest bit. You, on the other hand are experiencing a string of quakes and they seem, not only to be getting closer, but stronger as well.

Do you have an exit plan, just in case?

I'll feel better if I know that you have a safe haven

OTOH, you could come up and have margaritas, until it's over.

As I said before, please stay safe!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: September 18, 2015 06:01AM
GeneL. and everyone else, thanks for the well wishes.

I believe the building I am in is well built. I do not know to what magnitude quake it has been designed to withstand but there is no sign of damage anywhere. Chile had a 9.5 quake in 1960. They learned it was cheaper to build things right the first time since there will be a big quake sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 18, 2015 09:30AM
That looks like a great place to stay, other than the earthquakes! eek2 smiley

Keep your guard up, and be prepared to bug out of that building if things get too unsettling.

BTW, they couldn't stretch that stay out so you folks could stay there until Spring springs back in the homeland?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: September 18, 2015 12:36PM
Rick-o
BTW, they couldn't stretch that stay out so you folks could stay there until Spring springs back in the homeland?

But then I'd miss snowblowing season! I left my battery maintainer plugged into it so we can start it up right away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 47
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020