Date: September 30, 2015 05:24PM
I plan on making this jump SOON...

but... you first... :-)

O brave ones... please let me know how your upgrade went
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PLEASE post your experience in upgrading from 10.9 to 10.11
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 30, 2015 06:10PM
Edit: Sorry, I just realized your request was for 10.9 to 10.11 upgrades. My experience was from Yosemite.

Northern California Coast

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 06:27PM by steve....
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 30, 2015 06:20PM
Just did exactly that on this 2007 iMac C2D with a 500GB SSD, 6GB RAM.

Download and install went smoothly.

Been at it about an hour. So far all is well but some Mail accounts, and that is because I must have installed over top of some problems. I will sort that out tomorrow. My accounts are fine, but somehow my wife's accounts got rolled into the mix. A reboot or two will help.

All prior settings are undisturbed.

Have not tried iTunes. Will NOT be using Photos, new Notes. Cannot use Air Drop, Handoff, Continuity, but have no use for those anyway.

Finder Pop is broken, but I new that from running the Beta.

Use it on your spare external drive for a test run. That's what you should be doing with all major updates anyway.smiley-signs003

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 30, 2015 07:03PM
How about from 10.8.5 to 10.11? I thinking of it, though maybe not until after 10.11.01 or .02 are out.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 30, 2015 07:23PM
modelamac
Use it on your spare external drive for a test run. That's what you should be doing with all major updates anyway.smiley-signs003

Thanks for the detailed review - and I will certainly do it on a duped drive first.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: September 30, 2015 08:05PM
I seem to have lost all my iTunes radio stations that had been set up in earlier versions. Otherwise OK so far.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: September 30, 2015 08:42PM
Taking all of my Macs to El Cap in the near future, including a 2008 10.8 MBP with SSD.

Everything is backed up - clones + Time Machine.

I'll post if I encounter problems.

Posted by: hal
Date: September 30, 2015 08:57PM
Looks like Totalspaces2 has a chance to work on 10.11 afterall... so I'm going to wait a bit ans see how their dev goes. I'm ADDICTED to spaces...

"Everything is backed up - clones + Time Machine. "

I won't do anything major without dual backups too.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 30, 2015 09:51PM
Slick as a peeled mango. Posing running it now. Loving it.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 30, 2015 11:50PM
I installed it on the drive I used for the GM candidate. Have only installed a few things so far: Font Explorer Pro, Little Snitch, CCC update. My Contour mouse's software is occasionally flaky in El Cap.

I have found a couple of things I don't like. Disk Utility will take some getting used to. And why can't the Disk Utility window be resized? It's a minor thing, but I don't want to scroll to see all attached drives.

More annoying: it's harder to trim system fonts. In previous OSes you could remove the non-essential fonts from system/library/fonts by entering your admin password. Now you can't do that, so you're stuck with crap like Braille and Geeza and Thonburi in font menus. I'm fairly sure that there is a way to ditch them, but for now, it's annoying to not be able to trim the bloat. I'm hoping that Kurt Lang will soon update his guide to OS X font management with workarounds for El Cap.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 01, 2015 01:55AM
ka jowct
And why can't the Disk Utility window be resized? It's a minor thing, but I don't want to scroll to see all attached drives.

The Old Apple - the one we all fell in love with all those years ago - excelled at getting the minor things exactly right almost every time.

I miss the Old Apple.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 01, 2015 02:32AM
N-OS X-tasy!
ka jowct
And why can't the Disk Utility window be resized? It's a minor thing, but I don't want to scroll to see all attached drives.

The Old Apple - the one we all fell in love with all those years ago - excelled at getting the minor things exactly right almost every time.

I miss the Old Apple.

The new developers that Apple is hiring out of college not only never used used the original Mac, their parents hadn't even met eachother when the Mac was first introduced. They aren't familiar with the Old Apple.
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 01, 2015 05:25AM
I'm going to wait for 10.11.12!
g=
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 01, 2015 07:00AM
I've been holding at 10.9.5 myself so, I'll be watching too.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 01, 2015 08:46AM
Boys, boys, come on, dive on in. The Disk Utility window sizing is a bit annoying, but hey, we've got to move on. I'm really liking Cap (wha'ever it's called) a lot. Faster, seems to be a bit slimmer, just a good update.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: October 01, 2015 10:11AM
GuyGene
Boys, boys, come on, dive on in. The Disk Utility window sizing is a bit annoying, but hey, we've got to move on.

Please clarify for me how taking something and making it worse than it was before when it could have just as easily been left unchanged is "moving on."

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 01, 2015 10:46AM
N-OS X-tasy!
GuyGene
Boys, boys, come on, dive on in. The Disk Utility window sizing is a bit annoying, but hey, we've got to move on.

Please clarify for me how taking something and making it worse than it was before when it could have just as easily been left unchanged is "moving on."

I'm really getting a lot of real-life improvements in iOS9. I'm hoping El Cap is the same for Mac OS X.
Date: October 01, 2015 11:48AM
sekker
N-OS X-tasy!
GuyGene

I'm really getting a lot of real-life improvements in iOS9. I'm hoping El Cap is the same for Mac OS X.

I'm not arguing that EC won't be an overall improvement over Yosemite. Hell, Yosemite is the only version of OS X I refused to install on my Mac - EC can't help but be better.

I'm arguing that Apple used to spend the time and effort required to make even the tiniest details of the user experience amazing, but that is no longer the case.

It is what it is.
Date: October 01, 2015 12:10PM
I figured out one way to deal with the System folder font bloat issue. However, I don't recommend messing with Sytem/Library/Fonts unless you really know what can safely be removed. I have an idea of a few that can be moved out of there, based on previous OS versions. I copy them to a safe location first before deleting them, of course. But a quick test shows that the Braille fonts, Geeza, and Thonburi can be relocated safely. Using the same approach, I added my custom alert sounds to the System Library's Sound folder.
Date: October 01, 2015 12:21PM
N-OS X-tasy!
sekker
N-OS X-tasy!
GuyGene

I'm not arguing that EC won't be an overall improvement over Yosemite. Hell, Yosemite is the only version of OS X I refused to install on my Mac - EC can't help but be better.

I'm arguing that Apple used to spend the time and effort required to make even the tiniest details of the user experience amazing, but that is no longer the case.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the people assigned to re-do the user interface for Disk Utility had never used the app before. From reading some reviews, they also removed disk burning support, and the multi-tasking abilities (multiple Disk Utility operations active at the same time, eg creating disk images of two different folders at the same time). I think they also changed the partitioning user interface to make some things that used to be easy more difficult or impossible.

It might be wise to keep a Yosemite (or earlier) Flash Drive installer around just to boot into it's install/recovery partition to run the old Disk Utility.
Date: October 01, 2015 02:01PM
GGD
N-OS X-tasy!
sekker
N-OS X-tasy!
GuyGene

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the people assigned to re-do the user interface for Disk Utility had never used the app before. From reading some reviews, they also removed disk burning support, and the multi-tasking abilities (multiple Disk Utility operations active at the same time, eg creating disk images of two different folders at the same time). I think they also changed the partitioning user interface to make some things that used to be easy more difficult or impossible.

It might be wise to keep a Yosemite (or earlier) Flash Drive installer around just to boot into it's install/recovery partition to run the old Disk Utility.

I would not classify as an improvement ANY of the changes to Disk Utility you describe. Why the @#$%& does today's Apple insist on continuing to remove functionality from OS X?????

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 01, 2015 02:09PM
Any reason we can't just manually copy over the old disc utility?
Date: October 01, 2015 02:40PM
sekker

That's something I intended to try once I setup a 10.11 and 10.10 system. Apple in the past has often rev-locked included applications/utilities to the OS that they shipped with, but maybe it will work.

That still won't get it onto the Recovery Partition, which is one place where you often need it to do operations like Partition, Restore, etc.
Date: October 01, 2015 02:54PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I would not classify as an improvement ANY of the changes to Disk Utility you describe. Why the @#$%& does today's Apple insist on continuing to remove functionality from OS X?????

I obviously was not classifying them as improvements, but as new limitations.

As to why, here's my best take on it from another post.

[forums.macresource.com]

GGD
billb
WTF is wrong with these people ?

Here's my take on the cause...

There's sort of a hiring arms race going on in Silicon Valley between companies like Google, FaceBook, Apple, etc. They're hiring pretty much every computer science graduate that's available. So now they have a huge supply of developers who have never shipped a product and I believe that in many cases have never even used the many years of previous versions of the products that they are working on.

All of these junior engineers really wants to ship something, so they're adding new features that are solutions in search of a problem, and removing stuff that's been around for years since they've never used it and have a "better way".

In the mean time, the more senior developers have been getting paid well over the years and their stock is worth a lot, so they eventually move on and retire or start their own company, so there are no longer any filters to say "that's a really stupid idea".

It will only get worse...
Date: October 02, 2015 02:30PM
sekker

We could do so, but there would be no point, because it will not run under El Cap. Tried it earlier today. Dammit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020