advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can't Run Two Networks on One Computer?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 01, 2015 04:21PM
I'm trying to get two networks to run on my home-office computers (one Mac, one Win). They have separate routers with their own IP addresses. One will be a LAN without Internet access (I'm shutting down a separate Internet connection); the other is a LAN with Internet access. The first is a legacy server and router from our old office; I'd rather not try to reconfigure IP settings for it.

I have tried running Ethernet from both into a switch, then into the computer. I have also tried running Ethernet from no. 1 into the computer, and using wireless to access no. 2. No success.

Is there a way to do this, short of adding a second network adapter (which I can't do; one computer is a laptop; the other is an iMac)?

Hmm . . . Is there a USB adapter I could use that will enable me to access the two networks simultaneously?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can't Run Two Networks on One Computer?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 01, 2015 04:25PM
Do you realize that having a computer bridging the two networks completely defeats the security of having the one network offline? It isn't going to work without configuring the network settings manually on the machine connecting to both.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Bixby
Date: October 01, 2015 04:29PM
You should be able to do this with 1 ethernet and 1 wifi connection, each coming from their respective routers.
Date: October 01, 2015 04:33PM
Bixby
You should be able to do this with 1 ethernet and 1 wifi connection, each coming from their respective routers.

That's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to work. One seems to interfere with the other.

C(-)ris
Do you realize that having a computer bridging the two networks completely defeats the security of having the one network offline? It isn't going to work without configuring the network settings manually on the machine connecting to both.

Yes, I understand I'm reducing the security, but figure I can live with it for limited use; I just need to access the legacy server while also on the Internet via the other network for certain tasks. Any idea how I should configure the network settings to accept two simultaneous networks?

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 04:34PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 01, 2015 05:06PM
I'm running my 2011 mini with two networks (two separate routers) -- one for everyone else in the house (using the ethernet connection and/or wifi) and a separate one for the HDHomeRuns (USB3 adapter).

The router on one is set to 192.168.1.1 and the router on the other set to 192.168.2.1. The network pref pane shows both.
Date: October 01, 2015 05:09PM
Mike, how did you set that up? That's what I want. Did you need the USB adapter?

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 05:09PM by mrlynn.
Date: October 01, 2015 05:13PM
The mini only has a single ethernet connector. There is a cable from the first router to the mini (router set to DHCP 192.168.1.X). A USB3 port on the mini goes to a Kanex USB3 to ethernet adapter (with an ethernet cable to the other router set to DHCP 192.168.2.X). I think as long as the two networks are generating different IP addresses, the computer will see both as independent.

The network pref pane shows ethernet connected with IP of 192.168.1.2 and AX88179 (Kanex adapter) connected with IP of 192.168.2.2. It's been a while since it was set up -- I think I had to connect each router individually to set their respective DHCP range, but after that, both connect just fine.

The mini is running 10.8.5 should that make a difference...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 05:19PM by MikeF.
Date: October 01, 2015 06:38PM
Don't the Ethernet and the wireless use different adapters? It seems as though one should be able to set up the two separately. But did you find that you needed the USB adapter for the two nets?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: m.paris
Date: October 01, 2015 07:12PM
The Missing Manual by David Pogue has a section on internet sharing that does what you seem to want to do. The process is too lengthy to repeat here but it is not very difficult to accomplish. I have done it in the past and had success with it. You need to bridge the two networks. (See page 635 in the MM Yosemite book.) It also appears in the previous versions of the book - Mavericks, Lion, etc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 01, 2015 07:14PM
I routinely run TWO networks and, I've run FOUR networks on a MBP simultaneously.

1: Ethernet
2: Built in Airport
3: USB WiFi dongle
4: Firewire

I had taken a Screen Shot of the System Preferences>Network showing four simultaneous connections. I showed it to an Apple employee when I was at an Apple store. He was surprised and, said he didn't know that was possible.
Date: October 01, 2015 07:16PM
Previously had an older MacPro with two ethernet jacks. Ran two networks directly from both ethernet jacks. Mini only has a single ethernet, hence the need for an adapter to get the second ethernet jack.

Layout:
Mini ethernet jack <-ethernet cable-> router 1 (192.168.1.1)
Mini USB3 jack <-USB3 to ethernet adapter -> <-ethernet cable-> router 2 (192.168.2.1)

I think both networks need to have different IP address ranges to work with a common computer attached to both.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 01, 2015 07:59PM
mrlynn
Bixby

That's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to work. One seems to interfere with the other.

Service-order/priority in the Network settings determines which one is used for your Internet access.

Use the IP address in the Connect-to window when you want to hit the old server.

...Do NOT jack the LAN ports from two routers into one cheap consumer-switch.

Date: October 01, 2015 09:05PM
Onamuji

Why not? Adverse consequences?

/Mr Lynn
Date: October 02, 2015 08:38AM
Onamuji
mrlynn
Bixby

Service-order/priority in the Network settings determines which one is used for your Internet access.

Use the IP address in the Connect-to window when you want to hit the old server.

Thanks for that information; I wasn't aware of the service-order priority setting. I set WiFi (network 1) for Internet (am removing network 2 from the Internet). I can ping the router and server on network 2. But—

The server on Network 2 is Win2003, so I need to access it from my virtual WinXP client running in Parallels on my Mac. It won't work if the Mac WiFi is on, only when it's off; same for my wife's Windows 7 laptop, actually.

So I guess the real conundrum is how to get the two nets to both work on Windows, in one case Windows running on my Mac.

Can it be that the virtual Windows can piggyback on only one network connection from the Mac? But how about the stand-alone Win laptop?

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 09:01AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 02, 2015 11:49AM
You should be able to specify which network (as you have it configured in your Mac System Prefs) your virtual WinXP client should use.
Date: October 02, 2015 12:05PM
mikebw
You should be able to specify which network (as you have it configured in your Mac System Prefs) your virtual WinXP client should use.

Oh, I can have Win use one or the other, but not both simultaneously—or so it seems.

/Mr Lynn

UPDATE: Looks like my wife's Dell Latitude has now decided to run both networks simultaneously! So now the only problem is virtual XP on my MBP. Any idea why that won't?

/Mr Lynn

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 01:27PM by mrlynn.
Date: October 02, 2015 07:33PM
Mount the volume from the old server on your Mac. Share the folder between the Mac and PC environment in the VM settings. No fretting over Windows file-sharing cr@p.

Date: October 02, 2015 09:06PM
Onamuji
Mount the volume from the old server on your Mac. Share the folder between the Mac and PC environment in the VM settings. No fretting over Windows file-sharing cr@p.

Not sure I'd know how to mount a Windows volume on my MacBook Pro. But it would be too big, anyway (c. 600GB). Thanks for the idea, though.

Could attach an external HD, though. Hmm. . .

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 09:08PM by mrlynn.
Date: October 02, 2015 09:25PM
mrlynn
Onamuji

Not sure I'd know how to mount a Windows volume on my MacBook Pro. But it would be too big, anyway (c. 600GB). Thanks for the idea, though.

/Mr Lynn

From the Finder menu bar, Go > Connect to Server...

Preface the IP address of the PC server with smb:// and Bob's yer uncle.

You woudn't be copying the PC data to the Mac. You'd be mounting it on the Desktop as a share, then going into the VM pref's and setting it up as a shared folder between the Mac and PC environments.

Date: October 03, 2015 07:41AM
Onamuji
mrlynn
Onamuji

/Mr Lynn

From the Finder menu bar, Go > Connect to Server...

Preface the IP address of the PC server with smb:// and Bob's yer uncle.

You woudn't be copying the PC data to the Mac. You'd be mounting it on the Desktop as a share, then going into the VM pref's and setting it up as a shared folder between the Mac and PC environments.

Ah, the 'smb' helps (Go was supplying 'afp')—but it won't let me log on as a Registered User (though I can from Windows using Remote Desktop). Do I need to 'share' the entire server? Not sure if this is wise. . .

/Mr Lynn
Date: October 03, 2015 10:49AM
mrlynn
...it won't let me log on as a Registered User (though I can from Windows using Remote Desktop). Do I need to 'share' the entire server? Not sure if this is wise. . .

Is it actually running the Win server software? Or is it just an old PC?

Win 2003... Try cifs:// instead of smb://

Date: October 03, 2015 11:42AM
Onamuji
mrlynn
...it won't let me log on as a Registered User (though I can from Windows using Remote Desktop). Do I need to 'share' the entire server? Not sure if this is wise. . .

Is it actually running the Win server software? Or is it just an old PC?

Win 2003... Try cifs:// instead of smb://

It's Win2003 Server, running as a VMware ESXI virtual machine. Didn't like CIFS either.

Oh well. I'll be using it mostly for reference now. Until recently I had to copy and paste stuff from the old server onto records running on an IE website, but that's pretty much done now, so I won't need to run them both on the same computer.

Thanks for the help.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020