advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[RYF] Filemaker Pro 14 deal. Buy one, give one.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 14, 2015 12:11PM
Hi everyone,

This is an opportunity for people to upgrade to the newest flavor of Filemaker Pro 14 for a great price. Buy a copy and give a copy. Easy enough for two people to get Filemaker Pro for the price of one or one person to buy a copy and give the second copy to him/herself.

[store.filemaker.com]

This is the second or third year Filemaker has offered this deal. Definitely worth going for it if you need an updated copy of Filemaker.

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [RYF] Filemaker Pro 14 deal. Buy one, give one.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 14, 2015 01:14PM
They're still going? I wonder, does filemaker just support the people that used filemaker 3 way back when or are they getting new customers too? I just never hear about them anymore.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: October 14, 2015 02:05PM
Going strong with me. Don't ever want to be without it. (Filemaker 8 - Filemaker 14)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 14, 2015 02:11PM
Why would you want to buy a copy for yourself and give one to yourself?
Posted by: tlh828
Date: October 14, 2015 02:13PM
I would buy one for me and give the copy for my daughter.
Date: October 14, 2015 02:14PM
Sam3,

Filemaker recognizes itself over a network. Buy a copy for one machine, use the freebie copy on a second machine.

Robert
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: October 14, 2015 02:33PM
Been a FileMaker user since version 5. I built an I.T. asset management database in it back in 2000 and have been using updated versions of it ever since. Easiest database to learn and powerful enough for most small to medium businesses.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 14, 2015 04:20PM
Robert M
Sam3,

Filemaker recognizes itself over a network. Buy a copy for one machine, use the freebie copy on a second machine.

Robert

MS Office does the same, unless you enable the FireWall.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 15, 2015 06:09PM
space-time
Robert M
Sam3,

Robert

MS Office does the same, unless you enable the FireWall.

I still don't see the advantage of buying a second copy, unless I want to run another instance at the same time. Filemaker's licensing allows a second copy to be installed and used on a home or laptop machine, as long as both copies aren't used concurrently. This is the same as Adobe.

I guess I don't see the RYF of this offer. It would be an RYF if Filemaker was available at half off for a single copy.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 15, 2015 07:07PM
Sam3

I guess I don't see the RYF of this offer. It would be an RYF if Filemaker was available at half off for a single copy.

Yes, even the academic price isn't very good.
Date: October 15, 2015 08:04PM
Sam,

You need to look beyond how you personally use Filemaker. Since you don't need to run more than one copy of it simultaneously, the deal isn't for you. Or, if you need a new copy of filemaker but don't know anyone else who needs a new copy, again, the deal isn't for you. For other people including myself, it's a definite RYF.

My office, for example, needs to be able to run multiple copies of Filemaker simultaneously. This is a great deal for me. Buy one copy for my primary machine, use the second copy on one of our other machines. Two for the price of one.

One of my best friends uses Filemaker for his business. He needs just one copy. This deal lets me get a third copy for one of my machines and a fourth copy for him. Since he's using the last copy for himself, he just pays 50% of the cost of the second pair.

So, in looking at the deal for a single computer, no, it's not a RYF. It's definitely a bargain for anyone who needs multiple copies and/or if two people each need a single copy, though. It's a situaiton that is probably far more common than you'd expect.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 07:36AM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020