The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
REI is Closing Black Friday
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 26, 2015 08:15PM
got this email. I APPLAUD THEM!!!

===
This Black Friday the co-op is doing something different. We’re closing all 143 of our stores. Instead of reporting to work, we’re paying our employees to do what we love most—be outside.

We want you to be the first to hear—not just what we’re
doing, but why.

We’re passionate about bringing you great gear, but we’re even more passionate about the experiences it unlocks for all of us. Perhaps John Muir said it best back in 1901: “thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home.”

We think Black Friday is the perfect day to remind people of
this essential truth.

And don’t worry, you’ll still enjoy great deals on great gear all holiday season long. But on this one day, we’re going to #OptOutside and we want you to join us.

While the rest of the world is fighting it out in the aisles, we hope to see you in the great outdoors. Visit optoutside.rei.com and you’ll discover great ways to #OptOutside from
coast to coast.

Let’s get out there,
REI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 08:18PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: REI is Closing Black Friday
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 26, 2015 08:23PM
If I recall, REI is a co-op of sorts and not a massive corporation that needs to endlessly please share holders.

I have never understood the whole crazy middle of the night Black Friday phenomenon. Good to see these employees will be able to spend time with family and friends.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 08:39PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 26, 2015 08:33PM
Good for them. More places should do the same.

I wonder if that means their website will be down as well?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 26, 2015 08:34PM
Will the website be open for business, or will they shut it down for ordering like B&H?
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: October 26, 2015 08:36PM
I think it's great - I'd also say they are one of the few with a certain product mix and customer type that I think has the least impact from this kind of closure. Still - and sincerely - I applaud them!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 26, 2015 08:49PM
OWC Larry
I think it's great - I'd also say they are one of the few with a certain product mix and customer type that I think has the least impact from this kind of closure. Still - and sincerely - I applaud them!

Larry, do you keep OWC open on Black Friday? I don't mean the web site, I mean the employees in warehouse and office filling orders and mailing packages.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 26, 2015 09:27PM
Yes, REI started as a co-op, and still is. It is close to my heart, growing up in Seattle, where it was founded, and being involved in Scouting for about 2 decades. Mom still has custody of the 4 digit member number, and I have been in contact with corporate, so when she passes away, I get to keep the family very low number. Great business. Great people. I still have my over 30 yo sleeping bag from there. Still toasty as ever, although it may have "shrunk" around the middle somehow quotes smiley
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 26, 2015 09:33PM
Good for REI. The employees will get the day off - paid. Just like Thanksgiving.
As for the website, it'll be available but with a cover screen encouraging people to go outside instead of shopping.
Sanity.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: October 26, 2015 09:45PM
freeradical
Will the website be open for business, or will they shut it down for ordering like B&H?

B&H photo employees are Satmar Hasidic Jews and are closed on their religious holidays. Not so for REI.
Posted by: Black
Date: October 26, 2015 09:45PM
Racer X
Yes, REI started as a co-op, and still is. It is close to my heart, growing up in Seattle, where it was founded, and being involved in Scouting for about 2 decades. Mom still has custody of the 4 digit member number, and I have been in contact with corporate, so when she passes away, I get to keep the family very low number. Great business. Great people. I still have my over 30 yo sleeping bag from there. Still toasty as ever, although it may have "shrunk" around the middle somehow quotes smiley

Nice move, but I encountered rude/non-existent service at my local store enough to quit them, and the one pricey item I've bough there has turned into a giant PITA (waterproof lining peeling everywhere.)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: October 26, 2015 09:53PM
Nice move, but I encountered rude/non-existent service at my local store enough to quit them, and the one pricey item I've bough there has turned into a giant PITA (waterproof lining peeling everywhere.)[/quote]

REI has a 100% no questions asked return policy for returned items for cash or credit.

I was once there and someone returned ripped and torn poncho that covered in mud and much abused, REI accepted the return without any problem.
Posted by: Black
Date: October 26, 2015 10:04PM
M>B>
me
Nice move, but I encountered rude/non-existent service at my local store enough to quit them, and the one pricey item I've bough there has turned into a giant PITA (waterproof lining peeling everywhere.)

REI has a 100% no questions asked return policy for returned items for cash or credit.

I was once there and someone returned ripped and torn poncho that covered in mud and much abused, REI accepted the return without any problem.

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase.
[www.rei.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 10:05PM by Black.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 26, 2015 10:07PM
Black Friday is a great hunting day for outdoors people

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 26, 2015 10:24PM
B&H closes before sundown every Friday.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: October 27, 2015 01:18AM
It's not too bad a store...been a member since 1990 or so.
Date: October 27, 2015 02:01AM
Great store, I have been a member since the late 60's. I live in CA and have been to the MOTHER SHIP several times.

Just about three months ago.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 27, 2015 02:30AM
To me, my vision of REI is their old/original location that kept growing to next door space as they became available. Eventually, they took up a whole block, between 10th and 11th, and Pike and Pine. Their rental shop eventuallu had to move across the street. Mountain Safety Research was a block away. MSR stoves KICK ARSE!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 27, 2015 07:50AM
billb

I hope she managed to snag that plastic buck.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: October 27, 2015 08:06AM
We are of course closed on Thanksgiving and we are open on the Friday after as we always have been and as I have always worked as well.

space-time
OWC Larry

Larry, do you keep OWC open on Black Friday? I don't mean the web site, I mean the employees in warehouse and office filling orders and mailing packages.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: October 27, 2015 09:46AM
I say boycott those who don't close on Thanksgiving and give their employees the day off (emergency services excepted...)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 27, 2015 09:51AM
mrbigstuff
I say boycott those who don't close on Thanksgiving and give their employees the day off (emergency services excepted...)

Many people don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Also, many people are traveling part of the day so pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants, etc. need to be open to cater to those people.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: billb
Date: October 27, 2015 10:38AM
mrbigstuff
billb

I hope she managed to snag that plastic buck.

Looks like a XPE foam target
makes "deer hunting" possible out of season
you know, like when the leaves on the trees are green

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: October 27, 2015 11:25AM
Internet ordering doesn't carry the same amount retail line-up madness.

---
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 27, 2015 11:40AM
If the people in the retail stores are told to work Black Friday and wacky hours encroaching on Thanksgiving, so should the CEO, executives and upper management.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: October 27, 2015 11:54AM
Racer X
To me, my vision of REI is their old/original location that kept growing to next door space as they became available. Eventually, they took up a whole block, between 10th and 11th, and Pike and Pine. Their rental shop eventuallu had to move across the street. Mountain Safety Research was a block away. MSR stoves KICK ARSE!
From what I remember their first store was on Pike and about 6th or 7th. It was a small store on the second floor maybe 800 sq ft.
My dad took me there to buy my first back pack. The common back pack at that time was the Trapper Nelson with a wood frame. The Rei one was a aluminum frame with an innovative idea, a waist strap.
I think our Rei # was about 1300
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 27, 2015 03:04PM
So they all can go #OptOutside and stand in line at other stores to get those crazy Black Friday deals!!!

Date: October 27, 2015 03:37PM
C(-)ris
mrbigstuff

Many people don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Also, many people are traveling part of the day so pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants, etc. need to be open to cater to those people.

sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy then, I guess?
Posted by: davester
Date: October 27, 2015 06:33PM
Black
M>B>
me

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase.
[www.rei.com]

The one year limit is a recent change prompted by people who were abusing the prior policy. In many cases they will bend the one year rule if you make a reasonable request. I think that your poor experience is highly unusual. REI has a sterling reputation for customer service and my experience has always been exemplary.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 06:34PM by davester.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 28, 2015 10:52AM
davester
Black
M>B>
me

[www.rei.com]

The one year limit is a recent change prompted by people who were abusing the prior policy. In many cases they will bend the one year rule if you make a reasonable request. I think that your poor experience is highly unusual. REI has a sterling reputation for customer service and my experience has always been exemplary.

The "satisfaction guarantee" is now limited to one year, but their warranty is not. If something like the waterproof lining is failing, that's usually covered under warranty. "you can return it at any time"

The "I bought this 10 years ago and am no longer satisfied because it's out of style" type returns are what they limit to one year.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020